Connecting Focusrite Scarlett solo did I buy the wrong cable?

• I have never recorded or used an interface before so I figured I could save the money that it costs to get an inteface that supports SPDIF and get the Scarlett Solo which I've heard good things about.

It slipped my mind at the time i was buying it because i didn't really know that the XLR input on the Scarlett is for microphones and the line in is meant for instruments. I thought i could go XLR out of the kemper XLR into the interface but now I'm realizing thats not how its meant to be.

I realize now that I am more confused about the way i should run my kemper unpowered toaster into the scarlett. It has instrument line in and XLR but I think the XLR input is spec'd for microphones.

Also I want to monitor (or atleast play thru at the same time as tracking) with my powered FRFR cab which im currently running xlr out of monitor left to instrument cable into the FRFR. Not sure how i would do this while also using the interface. Any advice or thoughts are appreciated thank you.

• Scarlett solo is OK. But I would return it and get something with more IO.

If you want to record stereo from the Kemper all the inputs are used and there is no way to hook up mics or anything else.

• I you get at least a 4in 4out (4/4 or 4i4) you can recorded Left channel and Right channel for stereo, record a direct input to reamp with or even send it to a second "virtual amp" plug-in or all kinds of stuff, record just the effects signal. Then you can send back to Kemper to reamp on one of the other 2 outputs that you don't use studio monitors on (in case you use 2 outs for those). All without an SPDIF.

And you need a DAW program.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.