Understanding Merged profil or Studio Profil

• Hi

I am newbie user for kemper. I have some presets. But How can i understand that are they Studio profil or Merged profil? They arent written preset names. Second question is that For example i have a studio profil and if i change to different cabinet ir. Is it work good as merged profiles? Thanks

• You can’t tell if a profile is Studio or Merged unless the profile name includes a description.

With regards to your second question, both work well. The often sound a little different. Which one you prefer is just a matter of taste. Sometimes even a Merged profile and Studio profile of the exact same rig can sound a little different too even though they shouldn’t in theory.

Basically, cabdriver does a very good job of estimating the speaker portion of a studio profile and merging probably does a slightly better job but whether it is worth the effort using/creating merged profiles is really a matter of personal taste. If it sounds good it is good. ?

• Hi wheresthedug

Thanks for your response. I am confuse. because you said i can change cabinet ir in studio preset and works good but people say that if i cabinet off and use real cabinet it doesnt work good. so how different cabinet ir works good on this case?

I want to share to studio preset with real cab test on youtube video

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• but people say that if i cabinet off and use real cabinet it doesnt work good. so how different cabinet ir works good on this case?

People say lots of things but that doesn’t make them right. just a many people (if not more) say it works great. Basically, the only thin that matters is whether it sounds good to you. If it does then don’t worry how you got there just enjoy it. If it doesn’t then try something else that works better for you.

Jarrod and his wife both seem like lovely people but I rarely like any of his tone ideas. I often listen to what he does and think “serious dude are your ears painted on”. That doesn’t make him wrong and me right. It just means we like different things. Ue your own ears and form your own opinion.

• Basically, cabdriver does a very good job of estimating the speaker portion of a studio profile and merging probably does a slightly better job but whether it is worth the effort using/creating merged profiles is really a matter of personal taste. If it sounds good it is good. ?

In my initial tests, I saved a cab from a merged profile and saved the one from an identical studio profile. When I quickly tested them both with the same amp profile, I couldn't tell enough difference to probably matter, and one didn't sound "better" just maybe super slightly different, so I picked the merged one and started playing.

I am for sure a fan of cabdriver, I am a bit interested in how it separates what it thinks the speaker adds, it's like magic.

When I have time, I'm going to test and analyze a merged and studio cab profile and see what differences I can detect if any just for the heck of it.

I'm not one of those guys that's gonna do oscilloscope or wave form analysis, If I can't hear it on my 7506's, Studio monitors or in a recording, a difference might as well not exist. As everybody that records knows, many details you think are important go right out the window in a mix.

• Wow! I wish every profiler made DI profilers!

Works good if you want to lug around heavy cabinets or have them parked in a home studio. If you do a studio recording with a cabinet, you have to mic it up. And in some cases, you will have to mic up to FOH for live. Better to have a light load and just use studio profiles. But I still like 4x12 cabs myself.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Wow! I wish every profiler made DI profilers!

I take the opposite view. direct Profiles popping up in Rig Manager unexpectedly is probably the biggest pain in the ass I ever encounter with the Kemper. Unless there was some way to actually search and filter out Direct profiles I would prefer that nobody actually made them ?

But seriously, DI profiles obviously have a use and a user base that do like them. Therefore, we all need to coexist peacefully. That would be made much easier if Kemper could introduce some way of identifying Direct profiles with an option to include/exclude them when browsing.

As that doesn’t seem likely my RM structure is now one big local library with ALL rigs with a cabinet. A sub folder that I never need to open with all rigs without a cabinet. When I load a new rig pack the first thing I do is strip out all the Direct Profiles and archive the, in the Do Not Enter area.

• When I load a new rig pack the first thing I do is strip out all the Direct Profiles and archive the, in the Do Not Enter area.

Me too, All the merged files stay on my Kemper computer file, I don't even put them into rig manager unless it's to test or something.

The most important thing to me is FOH direct line, and I've never had a problem with the way my live cab sounds using cabdriver.

Sometimes I like it so much I go "Maybe I will just mic the cab!" Getting the FOH feed to match my live cab consistently has been my mission with the KPA.

• For the profiles I recently uploaded, I included direct profiles because some players prefer to use the same cab for all their rigs and they just want to change amps.

I do think it is a good idea to have the ability to filter them out.

• For the profiles I recently uploaded, I included direct profiles because some players prefer to use the same cab for all their rigs and they just want to change amps.

I do think it is a good idea to have the ability to filter them out.

You can do that with studio profiles too. I change cabs on them no problem.

• I take the opposite view. direct Profiles popping up in Rig Manager unexpectedly is probably the biggest pain in the ass I ever encounter with the Kemper. Unless there was some way to actually search and filter out Direct profiles I would prefer that nobody actually made them ?

But seriously, DI profiles obviously have a use and a user base that do like them. Therefore, we all need to coexist peacefully. That would be made much easier if Kemper could introduce some way of identifying Direct profiles with an option to include/exclude them when browsing.

As that doesn’t seem likely my RM structure is now one big local library with ALL rigs with a cabinet. A sub folder that I never need to open with all rigs without a cabinet. When I load a new rig pack the first thing I do is strip out all the Direct Profiles and archive the, in the Do Not Enter area.

You said it best when you said PAIN IN THE ASS. The Kemper itself is one big PIA. I picked up an HX Stomp XL, ran it into my stereo tube power amp and 4x12 stereo cab and haven't looked back. I clown around with the Kemper every now and record some stuff with it, but not much else.

• My 90s stereo tube half stack surely will be.

There are very few "digital" amps that have had the longevity of the Kemper and for good reasons. A kemper will no sooner be extinct than a JCM800, Plexi or Tweed amp would sound wise. Now if you're going for fancier interfaces and visuals, that's something else, but how can something that can sound exactly like a timeless amp not be timeless too?

• I'm not saying it wont be, but I cannot stand the sound of that compression that's on EVERYTHING when I play live through Kemper. The HX was the instant gratification I needed when I ran it into a tube amp. It was big, wide open, filled the room up and the modulation effects are awesome. I am keeping my Kemper because, for direct recording, I don't believe there is anything better. That compression is so good, I don't need to do anything to my guitar tracks...they're right there. It didn't surprise me to hear that Mark "King Of Compression" Knopfler used one live, but I don't like enormous amounts of compression live...I hate it. If I ever did bring back Kemper for live use, it would be for high gain leads only. Also, programming HX was instant fun and ease of programming, whereas the Kemper has been a nightmare to program. Those effects settings that I have to apply to profiles sound horrible matched with everything I've tried to match them up with, but the HX effects programs seamlessly without angst and headaches. I don't wanna sit for a year and learn how to program the Kemper, I wanna play, and the HX allows me to do that and do it better than the Kemper would. When Pete Townshend walked into Jim Marshall's shop to buy a Marshall rig, did he sit around for a month learning how to use it? I simply do not like the way the Kemper responds. It sounds great and its a joy to record direct with, but when I plug into it live, an invisible spear pierces my heart and I cannot enjoy playing. With HX, I'm ready to stage dive off the stage, and the people who have all heard the new rig vs the old all agree with me.

• When Pete Townshend walked into Jim Marshall's shop to buy a Marshall rig, did he sit around for a month learning how to use it?

No he didn't. But I'd bet almost anything if he could have had a Kemper back then he would have. So would Hendrix, Clapton,Page,Beck etc. etc.

Unless they were endorsers like Fortin or were being tube snobs, They would have LOVED to have a KPA. (Of course there weren't dumbles and 5150's to profile then) So we have it better.

I cannot stand the sound of that compression that's on EVERYTHING when I play live through Kemper.

Coming from a guy that's been in just about every live situation since 1979, I can tell you that then correct amounts of compression will allow you to be more in the mix live unless you have a traveling P.A at your whim and servants riding your sliders.. If the sound company hears a big spike from your clean sound, they will turn the gain down and your distortions will sound weak. Back before I used the Kemper I would read of people saying "Oh those ENGLs are too compressed" but when I played them in a live situation the compression was a boon, it put me in front. I've played some fenders live that were SUPER dynamic and uncompressed and in the end, it sounded weak on stage because they were too "spikey". Most of the awesome sounds you have heard guitars do on recordings since the 60's have had compression on them to tame them down and get them sitting in a mix right. By doing that before it hits the board, the board has more control. Sitting in your house playing doesn't need much compression and seems like a hindrance, but once you send it to the board, If it is not compressed to some point it will sound like crap when they mix it. What I am implying is that a correct amount of compression is vital in a live situation and IMO a Kemper does that perfectly for you served on a platter.