Experience with components while profiling

• Hello,

i love my kemper kpa DI profiles that I’ve created with the kemper DI box but I was wondering how much of an influence the components in the complete profiling chain are: guitars, pickups, cables (instruments and speakers) ?

I have the feeling that I get better profiles when using better quality components such as a good les Paul with BKP pickups instead of a thinner Ibanez with BKP pickups.

Even when I’m using the Ibanez with the profile created with the Gibson.

Do others also experience this? I guess that the quality of profile is then determined by the quality of the products used in the profiling chain.

Not I play tight death/thrash metal such as hatesphere, decapitated, carcass, etc.

I also experienced that some amps profile “better” than others, for example Engl amps don’t profile very well but Peavey’s/Mesa’s do.

love to hear what others experience :)

Michiel

• Well, for starters, tons of amps are profiled just using a cable and a SM57, with good results, zero issues. If better cables make a difference, I dont think they do in the big scheme of things, the shorter the cable, the better for the profiling. Regarding guitars, there are people that to this day use an specific guitar for refining. I have done the process with a SG and a Strat, and got to almost the same result after refining the same amp with different guitars. I dont think it really matters too much.

Regarding how the profiles sound different with different profiles, well, they are supposed to, the same way different guitars sound different with the same amp. Sometimes the author of the profile says they used a certain guitar for certain profiles, that normally means they EQ according to that guitar for it to sound good, but it is just a reference, just how I set my Twin for my strat to not sound sharp and trebly, it doesnt mean that you cant use that for a super strat or les paul-like, you may just need to EQ further.

The answer is 42

• And as a side note, never say that cables dont matter in a forum with audiophile guys, you would be asking for trouble. There are people that actually have thousands in gold-plated-oxigen-free-nickel-meshed-kevlar-coated cables (its legitimate adviced, not even a joke).

The answer is 42

• PS I don’t use mics and use the DI box.

I do have a feeling that the guitar cables and guitar being used during the profile is somehow contributing to the end result during the refinement profile.

For example if I would use a low weak output pickup, works I create the same profile with an EMG 81 pickup knowing the latter will push the preamp harder?

• And as a side note, never say that cables dont matter in a forum with audiophile guys, you would be asking for trouble. There are people that actually have thousands in gold-plated-oxigen-free-nickel-meshed-kevlar-coated cables (its legitimate adviced, not even a joke).

I suggested that cables do matter (instrument and speaker cables, perhaps even the DI cable?) :)

• I suggested that cables do matter (instrument and speaker cables, perhaps even the DI cable?) :)

All cables matter. Decent quality (as Ingolf said) short lenght should give you optimal results. Remember that while longer the cable, more suceptible to distortion and interference, also there is a loss in tension the longer the cable. Expensive cables in my honest opinion are useless in the application, and you should not worry too much about it.

The answer is 42

• the only input the guitar or guitar to KPA cable should have is on the setting of the amp being profiled. You will probably set an amp differently for a Strat than a Les Paul. Other than that the Guitar is not part of of the profiling process according to ckemper even during the refining process.

If I correctly understand what Christoph said the signal is being compared between the two sources. However, the actual input signal isn’t important only the difference between the two output signals.

• When I first got mine in Nov of 2019 I profiled my Peavey JSX with a beta 57 in my garage and it’s really the only profiles I use for my metal band. It’s perfect and was so simple.

• When I first got mine in Nov of 2019 I profiled my Peavey JSX with a beta 57 in my garage and it’s really the only profiles I use for my metal band. It’s perfect and was so simple.