8.2.0.28009 Release - Discussion

• For any subfolder that includes factory presets, there should be one additional subfolder called “factory” and one additional subfolder called “user“. Then you could at least choose whether or not to see the presets on offer.

Despite the hyperbolic language, I can understand not wanting to see a list of preset names that I’m not interested in using. I think it’s great that presets are being created and even that they’re being baked into the operating system. But long lists every time should be a choice. It’s an easy fix.

And while team K is at it, it would definitely be worth figurIng out a way to display preset names that are being used in the main window of the effect editor controls in rm, not buried in the subfolders and not no verification at all which is the current way.

It’s true, one of the best things about the Kemper is that it can house only the profiles that each owner/guitarist wants it to. That’s important to me, and it has always separated the KPA from the other devices. It’s good that someone is out there reminding the team that sticking to the original ethos of the device, in as much as it’s possible to do while still continuing to evolve the thing, is a worthy goal. (And I believe that so much of the evolution has been fantastic.)

• For any subfolder that includes factory presets, there should be one additional subfolder called “factory” and one additional subfolder called “user“. Then you could at least choose whether or not to see the presets on offer.

A 100% no-brainer, mate. :thumbup:

... it would definitely be worth figurIng out a way to display preset names that are being used in the main window of the effect editor controls in rm, not buried in the subfolders and not no verification at all which is the current way.

Absolutely.

• I will doublecheck this,

The Factory Preset Pack has also included output, amp, and cab settings.

By example you select All-Presets / myProfiler (on the left side) and only user presets will be listet on the right side.
    Clicking the right mouse button on a stomp slot also factory presets are listed, also on KPA.

As i wrote im Back to 8.0.6 and i think i will no longer go forward with Kemper updates.
    Have a nice evening.

That sounds like the best plan.

Despite the hyperbolic language, I can understand not wanting to see a list of preset names that I’m not interested in using. I think it’s great that presets are being created and even that they’re being baked into the operating system. But long lists every time should be a choice. It’s an easy fix.

Absolutely, I believe that the vast majority of users would NOT want to see the list of factory presets every time they right click. I would definitely only want to see my own presets by default. However, the ability to switch the factory list on again if required would also be nice to have.

That sounds like the best plan.

After double testing .. I'm out!

Not only do the firmware presets hinder me, I have adjusted and saved firmware presets for myself. Now I see both of them with the same name.In addition, the EQ button in the stack has actually been obsolete. Apparently because there is no EQ button on the stage, if you use the EQ button it also turns off the amp. Amp and EQ are now one unit.

Be the force with you ;)

Edited once, last by Yoda Guitar ().

• interesting reads and opinions here. I'm just about to do the upgrade. (only because i upgraded RM and can no longer connect to KPA)

I think it only fair to give the user the option what they should and have shouldn't have in their KPA, or at least give the user to option to remove unwanted items. (is this possible?)

It's a bit like filling your music-room with every amp and guitar ever made just in case you want a particular sound (budget aside) which in a limited space (or this case small visual window) will make far slower to access the things that you do need when you need them. Being able to have a "clear out" and get rid of unwanted/unused articles being the streamline approach. Its not been a big deal to import items no more than using the rig exchange.

Have i understood this correctly?

i guess if i do the upgrade i will find out...

• Switching it off and on would necessitate an additional preference item and more programming by the coders than simply adding the extra menu layer required for the two folders (factory and user) IMHO Alan, FWIMBW.

The menu is already quite cluttered and requires quite a bit of scrolling for long lists.

My preferred option would be to add a Favourite/Menu field to presets in RM and only those selected would then show on the right click menu.

• ...so i upgraded. Not as bad as i thought. All the user presets appear first in the scroll list, assuming this is done on alphabetical order as the factory presets start with "dot" character to distinguish them. I can see why Kemper would do this. New users and those who dont use rig-manager have all the options within the KPA. Handy for playing with it whilst "on the road". I was a late adopter to RM and tried to not rely on it so this would have been useful for that scenario.

After double testing .. I'm out!

Not only do the firmware presets hinder me, I have adjusted and saved firmware presets for myself. Now I see both of them with the same name.

I feel your pain. I raised the issue of preset/file management years ago. Cannot edit and save to; can have multiple presets of exactly the same name; no way to determine what version of a preset you are using, etc. Thats why my kemper is only used for recording now. When I want to play music, I grab my Blues Jr. (LOL!) and go play music. When I want to waste immense amounts of time screwing around trying to figure out how to come up with a good rig for recording, I I use the Kemper.

• I feel your pain. I raised the issue of preset/file management years ago. Cannot edit and save to; can have multiple presets of exactly the same name; no way to determine what version of a preset you are using, etc. Thats why my kemper is only used for recording now. When I want to play music, I grab my Blues Jr. (LOL!) and go play music. When I want to waste immense amounts of time screwing around trying to figure out how to come up with a good rig for recording, I I use the Kemper.

Fully agree w you. I am too much sidetracked by all options. Is why I opted for Kemper versus Axe ( was even worse there). Spend too much time with my Line6 M case as well. Want to load a preset, and practice - all this is no point unless ones guitars kills advance.

Is why I like the Kemper Tribute so much - good start, and allows me to look for all those riffs. Later one, I will "optimize my sound". aLready happy to have 1 box & 1 remote to contain everything for a song. Fantastic for that. And if it is good enough for Mark Knopfler, who am I to complain !! Still remember fondly his last concert in Belgium - what a sound - and with Kemper !!

Think I will look for an extra extension Cab for my Fender Blues deluxe reissue - have had it for 15-20 yrs and always come back to it. Too loud, but my JHS Black Box gives me a Master Volume. Maybe putting a Cab extra on the Combo will allow me to put Volume beyond "2" without ending with bleeding ears :) - would like bigger sound and more crunch without waking the whole street .

• I'm certainly a bit of a fanboy for the KPA. So keep that in mind.

I do not understand having to ‘find’ a grab and go setting. As if each time you have to hunt for a sound, so taking another amp becomes preferable.

Not trying to be combative in the slightest. I just don’t get that.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I do not understand the complaints people produce here. The Kemper always had a huge bag for sounds trying, adjusting, finding your preferred sounding riffs, effects etc. If you do not take what people offer you - free or commercial - as rigs, you can loose yourself in the possibilities the Kemper offers. I was glad, when this got much easier with RigManger.

So now, with 8.2, you get even more and you complain? What you do not nee need, just keep away form it and do not rant on things other people find useful or aweful. There might be other ways Kemper might present them with RigManager the future; 8.2 is not the end of evolution.

• It's a question of philosophy.

For me, the subject of "presets" clearly shows that there has been a change in the way the Kemper Team thinks.

Namely, away from the professional tool towards the simple user.

Many features, enabeling broad coverage of requirements and makes it easy to use.

Many competitors of modeling amps provide presets and amp models as default settings that cannot be changed or deleted, but can be copied to user presets and then adjusted.

As result you always have the manufacturer presets on the device, also if you don't like them or don't use them.

Up to now, Kemper's philosophy was to deliver a platform that leaves the user free to decide what to install on this platform.

The user was free to install or adapt presets and profiles at his own discretion.

Since there were apparently many user complaints that were not able to install presets nor reset them to the original state after changing them (you only had to copy the preset from the preset pack to the kemper), the presets will now be permanently stored on device and are immutable.

Basically, the simple users (who did not understand) have the system adapted so that it works like other manufacturers have been doing for a long time.

This is the approach to the "normal consumer" who neither wants to read manuals nor deals with complex systems but demands more and more features that he unfortunately cannot handle.

The big question is whether professional users who want to create their own sound and setup will follow suit.

I'm waiting for the day when "quickstart profiles" will also be permanently installed on the Kemper to make it easier for beginners to start with the Kemper.

That day will come.

Be the force with you ;)

• The change of thinking that you describe is going on since many years. A significant amount of users - newbies, and even more professionals - did not make the necessary distinction between effect types and effect presets. This is because most digital guitar amps do not feature presets for their effects (that is more than one default setting per effect), it is not a widespread and known feature at all.

We see effect preset as an extension, or even a substitute, of our effect types. It helps our philosophy of transparent effects, where visible parameters show and allow the difference of certain sound aspect, and we avoid creating slightly different effect types and making questionable claims about having found the secret sauce of this and that. The secret sauce can be seen in the additional parameters instead. This is all bundled in the effect presets, as a colourful starting point for individual creations. This has started with the new Delay and Reverb updates, and continues with the Kemper Drive and Kemper Fuzz philosophy.

Now we have decided to make the effect presets permanent, so they can be easier maintained.In the Rig Manager, they appear in the preset lists of the editor in the lower part of the window, while the user effect presets can be found in the upper part. That is a clear separation.On the hardware however, permanent presets and user presets are inline.

There is this idea for the hardware part to have a separate Category for user effect presets, so they can be found right at the beginning of the list, instead of inline with the permanent presets.Since you would not create dozens or hundreds of effect presets for your own purpose, they might easily be found in that „User Category“.

How do you like this idea?

• The change of thinking that you describe is going on since many years. A significant amount of users - newbies, and even more professionals - did not make the necessary distinction between effect types and effect presets. This is because most digital guitar amps do not feature presets for their effects (that is more than one default setting per effect), it is not a widespread and known feature at all.

We see effect preset as an extension, or even a substitute, of our effect types. It helps our philosophy of transparent effects, where visible parameters show and allow the difference of certain sound aspect, and we avoid creating slightly different effect types and making questionable claims about having found the secret sauce of this and that. The secret sauce can be seen in the additional parameters instead. This is all bundled in the effect presets, as a colourful starting point for individual creations. This has started with the new Delay and Reverb updates, and continues with the Kemper Drive and Kemper Fuzz philosophy.

Now we have decided to make the effect presets permanent, so they can be easier maintained.In the Rig Manager, they appear in the preset lists of the editor in the lower part of the window, while the user effect presets can be found in the upper part. That is a clear separation.On the hardware however, permanent presets and user presets are inline.

There is this idea for the hardware part to have a separate Category for user effect presets, so they can be found right at the beginning of the list, instead of inline with the permanent presets.Since you would not create dozens or hundreds of effect presets for your own purpose, they might easily be found in that „User Category“.

How do you like this idea?

I'm on the current beta and I struggle finding my delay presets because I don't remember which delay type was used for my "Circular delay" preset. Not sure how to solve it, but maybe the suggestion above might help? Or not?

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM