8.2.0.28009 Release - Discussion

• Maybe I don‘t get the point.

We have not taken away any of the custom features. The factory effect presets are a natural addition to the effect types, and I don‘t see them blocking the way for user presets.

The 8.2 introduces a clear distinction between user effect presets and factory effect presets.

In the Rig Manager section on top, there is only user content, as always. Factory Presets will never appear there, unless you load a preset pack. But the latter is not necessary anymore. No section, no folder, nothing.

The Rig Editor section on the bottom only provides factory effect presets. If you don‘t want to rely on those, then you will never open this list.

On the Profiler itself, user effect presets will be listed first, for each effect type. Again, the factory presets are not blocking the view to your user presets.

We are also having default settings as well as the types themself, since quite a time.

It‘s obvious that one user will only use a subset of types in total.

Still no one has approached us yet for a function to throw certain types from the list, even though this list is quite long.

• Why the aggressive and defensive responses to Yoda? His posts sound angry, but based on actual experience using a device workflow that he committed to years ago that is now being transformed in fundamental ways. You don’t have to agree. But no, many many people bonded with Kemper because using it was the closest reflection of using traditional rigs in the digital domain. In large part because it was the most personal, or most person-izable.

I think it’s good to talk about how we all use the Kemper , especially good for the Kemper group to then maybe see how they should approach menus, etc. We all have different use needs. If improvements can be made, we all benefit.

I can see Yoda’s point of view and perhaps the Kemper presets should only be available with rig manager or download, then those that want to use them can and those that don’t will not see extra clutter on the Kemper unit.

Or a way to view “user” saved effects only. Kinda like the rig view options.

• well I’m a “semi-pro” user. I play in2 classic rock bands and gig about 20 times a year.

I haven’t been using rig-manager at all, I keep down loading updates , but just never use it

I have about 30 performances set up, using Kemper And GR55 synth, I have just started using, the OD presets, but am looking forward to using a few of the fuzzes.

I don’t use a ton of effects, but need variations and really don’t want to have to haul everything to my computer, to edit a few sounds. My rigs haven’t changed a lot in 10+ yrs

I bought a QC for the weight and simplicity, but didn’t care for the sounds and being tethered back to a computer

All I’m saying is different strokes for different folks. If it’s there and I don’t use it ?

• RE Effect presets: just an idea. What if in the main menu (after right click oh the effect) there will be directly visible only user presets AND item called for example "Factory Presets". And only after clicking on this you will see all factory presets offering.

• With respect to the hardware interface, I prefix my personal presets with an underscore, and they appear in the menu before any factory presets of the same type. This makes them easy to find and differentiate.

If there was to be a new feature to show only user presets on the hardware, I'd prefer it to be in a new view, with the existing menu being kept as it is.

• Excellent, thanks CK.

Obviously I am a fan and none of these developments has taken me too far from my earliest successful approach to this device. And of course I’m the beneficiary of your effects designs.

To those reticent about incorporating rig manager—and this is from someone who is still a fan of the front panel of the device—if you’re working in a studio or even a controlled stage setting the software can be very quick and easier.

• RE Effect presets: just an idea. What if in the main menu (after right click oh the effect) there will be directly visible only user presets AND item called for example "Factory Presets". And only after clicking on this you will see all factory presets offering.

For me, it's not about the Rig Manager.

It's only about the presets on the Kemper-Amp.

When there are rehearsals or studio sessions for new tunes,

normaly I prepared my Kemper with various alternativ profiles and presets which I can quickly go through with the band or the producer if necessary.

So if the "factory presets" are also displayed, this can lead to confusion, especially if the naming is the same.

Eg. you take a "factory preset" and modify it (by example from timebased to BPM based also some mixparameter and EQ settings) .

Now you save it (without changing the name) now you have the user preset and the "factory preset" with the same name.

The only difference you see is the small dot in front of the name.

Also: I exaclty know, when the Client (Producer) see all this presets it will end up in a never ending tryout. But you get payed by record not by houre or kemper tryout session.

Be the force with you ;)

• Also: I exaclty know, when the Client (Producer) see all this presets it will end up in a never ending tryout. But you get payed by record not by houre or kemper tryout session.

This wins the internet for the day :D

Reminds me of the "client fader" where the engineer gives the client a fader that does nothing and lets them make their own changes :D

• I expected to see all the "factory embedded presets" appear in RM under "my profiler" as they are now residing within the KPA.

However, i only see my presets. I did expect to see them listed but later noticed that they are located if you click on the block in the bottom left corner of RM

That's the trick for the Rig Manager.

The factory effect presets are separate from your user presets now. Out of the way.

I think that's an advantage.

• With respect to the hardware interface, I prefix my personal presets with an underscore, and they appear in the menu before any factory presets of the same type. This makes them easy to find and differentiate.

If there was to be a new feature to show only user presets on the hardware, I'd prefer it to be in a new view, with the existing menu being kept as it is.

And here is the trick for the hardware Profiler:

No need for underscores any more, to separate your personal presets from the factory presets.

The factory effect presets will *always* appear after the user presets.

• So if the "factory presets" are also displayed, this can lead to confusion, especially if the naming is the same.

Eg. you take a "factory preset" and modify it (by example from timebased to BPM based also some mixparameter and EQ settings) .

Now you save it (without changing the name) now you have the user preset and the "factory preset" with the same name.

I understand some of your points but I do not understand why you can not rename your modified preset? You can store it under whatever name you like.

• I understand some of your points but I do not understand why you can not rename your modified preset? You can store it under whatever name you like.

My solution is a lot simpler, I've decided not to upgrade anymore. I need the Kemper for a maximum of additional 3 years, it has already earned its money. Then I will decide how to go further.

Be the force with you ;)

Edited once, last by Yoda Guitar ().

• My solution is a lot simpler, I've decided not to upgrade anymore. I need the Kemper for a maximum of additional 3 years, it has already earned its money. Then I will decide how to go further.

I'm trying to follow this.

Would the answer for you be just the ability to remove factory presets/select if you want to include factory presets for any upgrade ?

I don;t really use presets but I assume most people will only use presets as a starting point?

• I really welcome presets. Yes, I’ll tweak but if the company can give me something called a ‘deluxe Memory Man’ (or whatever, to illustrate what to expect) then I’m grateful. It’s probably because I started digital-wise with GT3 and Pod so if a company tells me that it’s a Klon I’m likely to feel good about that unless I have an actual klon and can argue with them. The mind is a strange thing and the urge to hoard pedals and amps (both real and virtual) is a strong one. It must be otherwise the vast, vast number of commercial profiles out there wouldn’t be so successful.

I totally see that Yoda is in a different place to me as he clearly uses his Kemper for work. He wants a particular sound for the job in hand more than ‘this is a clean klon’. I am just a keen amateur who uses Kemper for enjoyment, not to make money. I tend to find a sound I like, working with profiles and presets, then tweak if needed. But for me, it’s hobby which I enjoy and I’m not eating from it. You could argue that this makes his opinion more valuable vs someone who just uses it for fun but then again, commercially, we all pay the same for the unit. I can see why he’d want easy options to hide things in his situation. Personally, I like them - it’s part of the fun for me :)

• My solution is a lot simpler, I've decided not to upgrade anymore. I need the Kemper for a maximum of additional 3 years, it has already earned its money. Then I will decide how to go further.

I've tried 8.0.5 and 8.2 and both caused my stage issues with last imported folder . 8.0.2 works great maybe one day an update will work properly for me

• I've tried 8.0.5 and 8.2 and both caused my stage issues with last imported folder . 8.0.2 works great maybe one day an update will work properly for me

What you mean with "last imported folder"? All I know is "Last imported" as one of the sorting options on the device itself. This sorting is not working or did I miss something?

• What you mean with "last imported folder"? All I know is "Last imported" as one of the sorting options on the device itself. This sorting is not working or did I miss something?

yes last imported on device - found with all rigs favorites etc . All new rigs imported via usb go to all rigs not last imported- I use last imported to audition tweak or delete new rigs when I reinstalled 8.0.2 it works fine- with 8.0.5 i totally lost last imported. Its a stage if it matters

• I'm trying to follow this.

Would the answer for you be just the ability to remove factory presets/select if you want to include factory presets for any upgrade ?

I don;t really use presets but I assume most people will only use presets as a starting point?

As you write yourself the factory presets only serve as a starting point, after that they are useless for me.

Well, I don't really need the new features that this update brings, I would of course be interested in certain bug fixes.

I use a lot of customized (user) presets, simply to quickly adapt sounds that I know how it will sound.

Otherwise I would have to store a huge amount of ready to use Rigs.

By the way, one reason why I always prefer a Kemper Rack or Toaster to the Kemper Stage is that I can save entire effects sections as presets,

even if the rig manager does not support this.

Other manufacturers also install their own factory sounds and presets on their hardware,

but they usually do this in their own folders or banks.

they call them a factory-bank or system-library.

The operating concept of the KEMPER did not provide for this.

In my opinion it should be possible to delete and overwrite system presets.

You could then still create the possibility to restore system presets from an internal memory of the Kemper if necessary.

Be the force with you ;)