New tune, Am i dreaming

• Yep, very nice indeed. Late night music as I call it for its darker vibe :thumbup:8)

Well done. Which EZX and/or Midi did you use for the drum track? Its nicely epic...

Thanks Deadman42. Its the EZdrummer2 Death metal EZX on the Ocean Brass kit with Ezmix drum bus2 set at 2% compression.

• Yep, very nice indeed. Late night music as I call it for its darker vibe :thumbup:8)

That's a very interesting perspective, man. I would describe the intro riff as more melancholy or pensive, with some bluesiness to it. And the bridge kicks in with a very major chord / positive / feel good kind of vibe. All of which is, to me, the antithesis of darkness.

When I hear that word what generally comes to mind is the whole "let's be evil" vibe in a lot of metal, and all the post-apocalyptic movies drenched in tones of corrosion green and rusted browns, where life sucks and there's no hope of it ever not sucking. It is, however, the current trendy word in the movie biz.

Fun drinking game: browse the Netflix offerings. Every time a description uses the word "dark," everyone has to drink. Bring a designated driver. :)

Hopefully you know me well enough by now to understand that this is just my take on things and not a criticism of your own. It just struck me as a curiosity since one of the things I enjoy about Joe's writing is that while he uses heavy guitar tones, even the crunchiest of stuff tends to have a positive vibe. It's among the rare drop tuned music that I enjoy (I'm a peace, love and happiness type hippie from olden times).

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• I grew up listening to mostly Bon Jovi so i think this is where my love of melody and uplifting music comes from in my playing. I'd love to be able to write much darker stuff but no matter how it startes out it always comes out sounding happy ? Which i don't mind.

It is nice to hear that different people on the forum hear different vibes in my tunes, most of my guitar playing friends i grew up with hate my happy vibe which makes do it all the more just to spite them ?

• That's a very interesting perspective, man. I would describe the intro riff as more melancholy or pensive, with some bluesiness to it. And the bridge kicks in with a very major chord / positive / feel good kind of vibe. All of which is, to me, the antithesis of darkness.

Cool, there we have it again: Visual attributes put to music can be so misleading 8o ...there was another thread here in the forum not long ago with many examples.

Nice discussion though. For me "dark vibe" doesn't have any negative sentiment. It's not depressive, not sad or whatever. Nevertheless for me that tune is rather something I would choose after sun went down than in the morning or the afternoon. Translate "dark" to "in the night, when it's more quiet outside" and it might fit as well.

...tends to have a positive vibe

No doubt. And usually even the hard riffs turn out with very nice epic choruses and so on. All good with that :)

And I really like Franjoe30 's songs a lot. He knows 8)

• Ah, "nightness." Makes perfect sense!

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10