Wireless features incoming?

• Everybody seems to forget the remote receives power from the enthernet cable. Whatever cheapo router you think you can get I would doubt it will come with PoE (Power over Ethernet) ports, unless you buy a separate PoE injector. Seems ver cumbersome.
    A wifi USB dongle is the better solution.

• Even though the router thing is a work around, I am so pumped to figure out a way to make this work!

Next step: Connect my Kemper to Apple HomeKit as a smart device

"Hey Siri, it solo time"

"Yes, daddy"

• Hmmm ? I wonder if I can use the XAIR XR18 as a router for Kemper ?

could work. I just flew over the specs, but it has an integrated router, right? Should do the trick.

I’m thinking, as long as the router for the Connection can speak DHCP, the head and rack should be able to connect (and I can‘t think of one router who doesn‘t do that).

The Stage, as it looks, has it‘s own access point integrated and so it can create it‘s own WiFi-network.

but that‘s all just from an outside perspective.

• I really wonder if there will be any advanced data exchange to transfer the rig database between the different devices. After 8 years of playing Kemper and creating profiles there's a lot of stuff in my Rig Manager database.

• could work. I just flew over the specs, but it has an integrated router, right? Should do the trick.

I’m thinking, as long as the router for the Connection can speak DHCP, the head and rack should be able to connect (and I can‘t think of one router who doesn‘t do that).

The Stage, as it looks, has it‘s own access point integrated and so it can create it‘s own WiFi-network.

but that‘s all just from an outside perspective.

It looks like the Stage has a separate wifi module connected to the main board that acts very much like my dongle. An access point with all the necessary network protocols from which the network stack of the OS can access. I cannot see how this cannot be implemented.

• For playing with bands, I'll continue using the toaster and remote. My preferred way of working is to get things sorted out for profiles, stomps, performances, etc. at home, then benefit from that work when in a band context.

In my studio, I already have a separate wifi router that's not connected to the Internet. It's the access point I use to control my Yamaha TF5 mixer via the mobile apps (StageMix for full mixer control, MonitorMix on the cell phones to control personal mixes). Because I typically have the remote in the live room on a longer cable run, I already have a Poe inline to the remote.

Pure speculation until this is all released, but I think in my case I can simply run my Kemper to the mixer wifi router, then the cable with the Poe connects to the router and goes to the remote. Because I'm not sure how this (or any) router would respond to the Poe, I'm thinking as long as I keep the adapter downstream of the router there shouldn't be any complications.

I'm assuming the iPad RM app will be free given Kemper's history with such things. I haven't had mine nearly as long as most of you guys, but wow, the value that keeps coming out of this purchase dwarfs any piece of technology I've ever owned. I was already ecstatic about what the toaster did for me the day I bought it and would have been happy with just that. But it just keeps getting better.

Do I really need an iPad app for the Kemper. No, in my case I really don't. But I said I didn't need the editing in RM, either, so this time I'm just going to defer to the obvious. Of course I'll use an iPad app for the Kemper when it's available. Because GAS.

For those who feel that adding a router and Poe adapter to their rig is too clumsy for their needs, I wouldn't disagree. It's not nearly as elegant as a Stage with built in wifi. It is, nonetheless, pretty darned cool to have it as an option for toasters and racks. The existing hardware is what it is, so if you want wifi, a router of some kind is what your options are. If I was in a situation where the smallest and simplest package of gear was needed, I'd just sell the toaster / remote and buy a Stage.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

I wrote this post last year,
    made my kemper Wireles ..
    It's german but you can translate it with google.
    Kemper Remote WLAN fähig machen

Be the force with you ;)

• Everybody seems to forget the remote receives power from the enthernet cable. Whatever cheapo router you think you can get I would doubt it will come with PoE (Power over Ethernet) ports, unless you buy a separate PoE injector. Seems ver cumbersome.
    A wifi USB dongle is the better solution.

Wifi dongle will not work, if you don't support this with a TCP/IP USB driver (Software Driver) on the Kemper. And you need different drivers for different USB dongles.
    So I made my Kemper - Remote wireless last year with a small amount of Network components.
    See post #190

Be the force with you ;)

• Wifi dongle will not work, if you don't support this with a TCP/IP USB driver (Software Driver) on the Kemper. And you need different drivers for different USB dongles.
    So I made my Kemper - Remote wireless last year with a small amount of Network components.
    See post #190

So, what you're saying is a reasonably simple solution for iPad connectivity appears very doable?

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I read your post. Very helpful and useful.

Did you have to have a separate power supply for each router or can the be powered via POE (power over ethernet)?

I think there are no routers that can be powered over Ethernet themselves. They only can power other devices…

The TP link routers Yoda Guitar used are powered over a USB port, so maybe the USB Port of the head/rack could have enough power to power those travel routers.

And of course a wifi dongle will not work. And that’s not a driver problem. A wifi dongle normally can do one thing only: connect to a wireless network on the one side; connect to a client via USB on the other side and simply replace a CAT cable this way. It can’t manage a whole network like a router.

so I think this would be the easiest way:

- small wifi router like a TP-Link TL-WR902AC (or even smaller TP-LINK TL-WR802N)

- setup a wireless network on it.

- connect the rack/Profiler via CAT cable.

- Connect the ipad via WiFi (of course you can’t use other internet stuff at the same time)

- connect app and Profiler

- be happy

• FTFY ^^^^^^

I don't think there is a small portable solution unless Kemper themselves design and release one. ;(;(;(

Please ckemper ?

• everything we are talking about atm is based on some videos on social media. Let’s have a nice weekend and just wait for the things to come :)

You could also use a poe injector or a router with poe outs.

• everything we are talking about atm is based on some videos on social media. Let’s have a nice weekend and just wait for the things to come :)

You could also use a poe injector or a router with poe outs.

Well, not only videos. There was that comment on Facebook...
    On post  #149  of this thread.

• Actually there are wifi routers that can be powered by PoE

e.g.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015PRO512/?

or

(this is tiny)

https://mikrotik.com/product/RBmAPL-2nD#fndtn-downloads

The first one is more interesting because it has a second ethernet port on it so may allow plugging the remote into it.

Having said all of that I have a slight suspicion that the ethernet port on the back of the kemper will not supply sufficient power.

I would also point out that there is an old thread here which says that there is not enough power on the kemper usb port to charge a mobile phone. I would take this to indicate that it may also have insufficient power to power a small router - although no idea of the relative power needs of these devices.

...and with a bit more googling I have found this one that can be powered over ethernet, is a wireless access point and will send power over ethernet to the second port.

https://mikrotik.com/product/RBmAP2nD#fndtn-specifications

• So, what you're saying is a reasonably simple solution for iPad connectivity appears very doable?

Yep, as i wrote put a little wifi travel router into your Kemper Rack and put a second one with POE on the remote-board to connect and power the

Remote. But if you like to connect your Remote by networkable as it is then you can use a Multiport WLAN router like the TP-Link TL-WR841N N300 put the POE between the router outport and the the remote this will also work with only one wireless device

Be the force with you ;)

Edited once, last by Yoda Guitar ().

• I read your post. Very helpful and useful.

Did you have to have a separate power supply for each router or can the be powered via POE (power over ethernet)?

The wlan router are powered by 5V. I have 9V/3A Power supply for wireless anyway so i added 5V USB steppdown converter for this..
    There are also some Accesspoint on the market but they are to big and they have no routing functionality.

Be the force with you ;)