Things I still don't get about the Kemper (Did they miss an opportunity?)

• The biggest challenge I have with the KPA is getting the direct sound to sound "the same" as my cab in the room to my ears. I'm talking just to the point where it doesn't surprise me and it's familiar. For me it's just been a matter of HP/LP filters & a bit of EQ occasionally.

I fully understand that the direct sound is going to replicate the mic'd cab sound likely not ever amp in the room, but that is my impossible goal.

That being said, miking cabs close with a single mic and going to a mixer don't (normally) sound like amp in the room either and most KPA users understand that when using studio profiles that it's supposed to be like miking a cab with great mikes and served on a platter for you.

All this is exactly why I had once considered just micing my cab and using the KPA as I would any other amp live if I had problems bringing it together. Thing is, all my studio profiles sound better monitor cab out to board than micing a live cab with a 57 or I5 into a console preamp like I have been OK with for 43 years.

Sometimes I'll run through a Lynchback closed cab or a CL80 open and have greenbacks or V30 cabs selected in the profile to the board. It 's not exact but it's close enough not too mess with. I've used profiles with a CL-80 and monitored with a CL-80 and it will still be different. As long as it sounds good out front and I get a big thumbs up. I'm fine. Stage presence and performance will be a much bigger factor in audience approval.

• I fully understand that the direct sound is going to replicate the mic'd cab sound likely not ever amp in the room, but that is my impossible goal.

Using a Studio/Merged Profile direct sound through the PA *will* sound like amp in the room, because the PA is in the same room.

The drums are close miced, The bass is direct or close miced, the keyboards are direct. EVERYTHING sounds like the room in the PA.