Recording Kemper in Stereo - Best DAW Track method?

• I had my DAW setup with a single stereo track for the Kemper left and right inputs. When I tried a two track setup (left track and right track) with single inputs for each, I had about a +6db increase gain in the recording levels even though I had not increased the interface gain.

Does anyone know why this is 6db increase is happening?

What is the preferred way to record? One stereo track or two single channel tracks (L and R)?

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I ran the Kemper Main Outs L & R into a digital recorder with 2 tracks Panned hard L & R.

Kemper Master output @ - 19db. This is all Kemper FX in stereo.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I have my two tracks panned hard left and right also but I don't understand the db increase compared to the single "stereo" track. It seems the line levels should be the same?

• When you combine two signals you get a n increase in volume of around 6db. When you do this via a stereo track I’m fairly sure the DAW does some adjustments to remove this effect as it knows you are really sending one big signal. However, when you send the two signals to two separate tracks the DAW doesn’t know that you mean them to be one big track so doesn’t do it adjustment.

• When you combine two signals you get a n increase in volume of around 6db. When you do this via a stereo track I’m fairly sure the DAW does some adjustments to remove this effect as it knows you are really sending one big signal. However, when you send the two signals to two separate tracks the DAW doesn’t know that you mean them to be one big track so doesn’t do it adjustment.

Makes me wonder if there is really any difference besides the db increase/decrease. I wonder if a single stereo track would counter phasing issues or even manipulate stereo effects differently than the two track setup. I guess I need to do an A/B comparison to find out. But I know the two single track method has much more advantages when coming to double tracking, reamping one channel, or using dual amps.

• BayouTexan can you be more specific in your setup? what are you running as an audio interface? I found out that with the Universal Audio Apollo, if you go XLR out the Kemper to XLR into the Apollo; first it comes in as mic only and second it gives a +6db gain. This is caused by a micro switch inside the interface, which allows it to be "seen" as a LINE or MIC.

I run mine in the following signal chain:

1. Kemper L - R XLR outs
      1. Set output as stereo
    2. Into UAD Apollo Twin|x TRS L - R inputs
    3. Logic Pro X audio track comes up in stereo

Works for me.

Peace out,

JP (Pierre) Moatti

• I am using all TS with my Motu M4. So, the only difference I can hear by loading one stereo track vs. two mono tracks (for left and right) is just the db increase on the two.

• I am using all TS with my Motu M4. So, the only difference I can hear by loading one stereo track vs. two mono tracks (for left and right) is just the db increase on the two.

Have you checked with the manufacturer or if they have a user forum? I was pretty surprised when I found that out from Universal Audio, about XLR vs TRS. Perhaps there is something going on there? Best of luck.

Peace out,

JP (Pierre) Moatti

• When i record in stereo, i use TS connects,

1 monitor out, set for L channel, and 2 Direct out set as R channel into my interface.

balance the output levels on the Kemper so they are the same, and make final tweaks in the DAW.

• When i record in stereo, i use TS connects,

1 monitor out, set for L channel, and 2 Direct out set as R channel into my interface.

balance the output levels on the Kemper so they are the same, and make final tweaks in the DAW.

Why not use L and R main outs on TS? That's how mine is setup into DAW.