Effects Loop Woes

• Hey.

I have a pedalboard running into the front of my STAGE with no problem. But, i'm now trying to put a new UA Golden Reverberator into the effects loop in stereo. But, the Kemper DELAY cancels out the Reverb from my external pedal in the Effects Loop. Why? Is there a parameter somewhere to fix this?

As the Rig Manager is telling me, i'm using SEND 2 with RETURN 3/4.

• The Reverb—Seems to work, except that depends on what other blocks are active. If i have an DELAY block in FRONT of the LOOP block (in the LAST) effect slot, the Reverb is diminished significantly. Almost to Zero effect.

• The Delay block cancels the Effects Loop even if the Delay is turned OFF. And it cancels not just my Reverb pedal, but also my stereo tremolo pedal in that same loop.

• Seems like i can put any other effect in front of the effects loop block without effecting the reverb pedal in that loop, but Delay cancels out the reverb.

• check the delay/reverb balance parameter in the rig menu. It handles the routing between parallel and serial.

Thank you. So, now i have it at -100% / fully dialed down to the Left, and i seem to have my full effects loop effects (reverb and tremolo). Does that make sense, though? If i turn off the pedals in the loop, and just play with the Kemper delay with everything else set the same way, i don't notice a difference in the Kemper delay. So, why would i want this parameter at any other setting?

Ah, wait—so, if i delete the Kemper delay block, and i'm back to just my effects loop, the reverb sounds fine, but the stereo tremolo is only in Stereo when the RIG>Delay/Reverb (balance) is at +100% / fully RIGHT. But, if i add the Kemper delay block back in, the tremolo is in stereo again only if the RIG>balance is -100%. I'm turning the delay mix down to 0% to be able to hear what's going on. So, i guess i need to leave a Delay block in the chain, whether i'm using it or not, just be able to always keep the RIG>Delay/Reverb balance at one setting: -100%?

Sorry, i'm not understanding what this 'balance' is supposed to be controlling or why this variable exists.

• you can find a detailed description of this parameter in the main manual

DLY+REV Routing (in Rig Settings)

“DLY+REV Routing” is another feature exclusive to the DLY and REV modules. It’s a unique parameter, available in Rig Settings, that allows continuous control over the routing of the effects located in the DLY and REV modules. For the following description, let‘s assume that you have placed a delay in the DLY module and a reverb in the REV module.

At the center position, the tow modules are simply set in a serial configuration; this means the reverb comes after the delay, and both the dry and delay signals are fed in equal amounts to the reverb. This is pretty much what you would expect in the first place.

When you turn “DLY+REV Routing” more to the left, you will notice that the delay reflections will vanish from the reverb - at fully left position, only the dry portion of the delay gets reverberated. Now, the delay and reverb are working in a parallel configuration. You will hear delay reflections and a reverb tail, but the delay signal doesn’t feed the reverb.

As you turn “DLY+REV Routing” more to the right, the opposite happens: the delay reflections keep their reverb tail, but the dry signal loses its reverberation and becomes completely dry. This will emphasize your instrument, as the reverb will not appear until after the first delay reflection.

Please note: since the reverb offers a predelay parameter of its own, it is a good idea to set it to zero in this configuration, so it won’t offset the timing of the reverb tails.

Finally, let’s have a look at what happens if the effect located in the DLY module has no “wet” portion: Let’s assume a chorus effect is selected in the DLY module and a delay is chosen in the REV module. With “DLY+REV Routing” at center position, you just experience the normal serial behavior: chorus into delay.

When you turn “DLY+REV Routing” to the left, the chorused signal will vanish from the delay — at fully left position, only the pre-chorus signal is reverberated.

As you turn “DLY+REV Routing” more to the right, the impact of the chorus shifts further to the delay signal at fully right position, you end up with an unmodulated, dry signal plus a chorused delay.

This also works the other way around: place a reverb in the DLY module and a phaser in the REV module: With “DLY+REV Routing” to the left you will have only the dry signal applied with the phaser, while the reverb tail is not. When you turn “DLY+REV Routing” all the way to the right, then only the reverb tail is affected by the phaser.