New Rig Manager - New Problems

• New Rig Manager - new problems. Installed newest version today. Now the Rig Manager freezes all the time when editing rigs on Mac PowerBook. Sometimes it freezes just temporarily but after 5 or 6 temporary freezes it blocks the computer completely. Sometimes even on the level that the application can no longer be terminated and hard restart of the Mac is required.

Do other users make same experience?

Am using Kemper Power Head, approx. 2016, with Kemper Remote pedal 2020. Latest Mojave version on Mac PowerBook.

• Yes, noticed this as well. Stability dropped, there are tons of memory leaks plaguing this application, and it is probably healthier to restart it from time to time. However you don't have to hard restart the Mac to recover. Right click on the RM icon in the dock, then hold "Option" and choose: "Force quit". In one case I had to unplug USB cable and plug it back to fully recover. On the plus side: Performance management started to work like it should. :)

• A few times even Force quit did no longer work. Neither did unplugging the USC cable. Literally hard restart was the last option. Store every single adjustment, is the best way of coping.

• tis annoying.

I've even noticed my kemper unit start being slow to react to knob turning at times.

The last update cured itself but ive noticed it happening again with the latest update.

I was fluffing with the transpose feature this week and it started changing values on its own.

I've had the kemper a good 5 + years and although I love it, the stability issues are testing my patience.

If its not stable its not enjoyable anymore.

• interesting. care to share details?

Sure. Open Terminal and type: $ leaks Rig

About 2% of memory is leaked. This might not necessarily be cause of RM instabilities unless some of leaked object hold on to important resources, like file descriptors. Among leaked objects there is:

1 (240 bytes) ROOT LEAK: <KPAComm::GetGlobals 0x6000002b23a0> [240]

which is the most suspicious object - could this leak be responsible for RM not being able to reconnect to KPA after KPA was powered down and turned on on the next day (while RM is kept open all the time?).

2 (224 bytes) ROOT LEAK: <Access::Dialogs::StandardAlert 0x600003cfda20> [32]

1 (32 bytes) ROOT LEAK: <Access::FloatingWindow 0x600003ce8120> [32]

tons of: 1 (128 bytes) ROOT LEAK: <CGPath 0x60000105c880> [128]

tons of: 2 (144 bytes) ROOT LEAK: <dx::exception 0x600001b103c0> [80]

Pretty much all setlist performances: 39 (68.5K) ROOT LEAK: <Access::SetlistPerformance 0x7f976730b690> [320]

and rigs: 8 (7.92K) ROOT LEAK: <Access::ProfilerRig 0x60000c9e8160> [176]

(Leakage of rigs might be a fallout of leaked performances).

The way I use RM is I turn it on use it until it works. There are typically two outcomes:

1) RM is hanging after some time with spiny spiny thingy - in which case I can't use it anymore and need to force quit.

2) RM is no longer able to connect to KPA (I do power off KPA for night, RM is always open, computer itself might go to sleep).

2) has two variants:

a) RM just doesn't see KPA and that's it

b) RM sees KPA but doesn't interact with it.

Some other issues:

Sometimes RM opens, sees my KPA, called Toaster, but number of rigs next to it is... zero. In this case I need to restart RM to recover.

Recently, with latest update, for the first time I have to unplug USB cable to be able to reestablish connection between RM and KPA, so far I could always recover just by restarting RM.

Recently, with latest update, for the first time I experienced RM hanging right after it started (Spiny, spiny thing). This never happened before.

All this is happening on macOS: 11.3.1

I suggest trying my workflow - don't ever close RM manually. Just keep it open and see what milage you get. My milage is pretty low - need to manually restart RM every single day - sometimes forcefully. But at least performance management works now without issues - took years to fix it but I'm really thankful and happy.

Bonus bug:

Open RM, slide right pane all the way to the right, making it skinny. Load different Rig. Make right pane wider (slide left). You'll get what is in the picture with no ability to resize columns (one has to resize the whole window to recover).

• Bonus bug:

Open RM, slide right pane all the way to the right, making it skinny. Load different Rig. Make right pane wider (slide left). You'll get what is in the picture with no ability to resize columns (one has to resize the whole window to recover).

This is a known bug which I have reported a couple of times already.