Celestion F12 too "Boomy"?

• Hey all, long time listener, first time poster.

I've done some searching but couldn't quite find anything too related that wasn't aged out in the threads, but I need a little help if you don't mind?

I've got an F12-x200 and in the two cabs I've tried it in it just sounds like a boomy muddy mess. Running a PowerRack.

Multiple profiles from multiple makers. Sounds like heaven in the ATH-MX50 headphones, and like muddy bleh through the F12.

Cabs I've used are an Avatar Forte 3D style and a VBoutique that was made to the Celestion-shared specs.

Do I just need to EQ every profile (that I'm using to jam in headphones and record with) to work with a cab/speaker?

I was wondering if I got a bum speaker? I asked Celestion and they said basically the speaker either works or it doesn't. Helpful.

I've read reviews where people love the F12 with their various models, so I'm thinking maybe it's just me.

Any thoughts, hints, tips, tricks or links you'd be willing to share, I'm eternally grateful.

Thanks, and hello again!
    Kris

• I have an F12 in a Celestion designed cab and it sounded great (I've got a couple Kemper Kones now so I'm focused on dialing stereo Rigs in for them). I imagine if I created a Rig using headphones the results would be bass heavy through the F12.

I haven't set up any rigs for headphone use yet because I'm not using headphones much but that is something I generally do with any 'modeler' because of the EQ and amount of gain usually doesn't translate to FRFR at full volume (the amount of gain I use is usually higher in headphones to get the same kind of sounds).

Also, I use the Monitor out for any kind of FRFR cab and the Output section has EQ separated for Main and Monitor I believe Headphones mirror Main output so you might just need to tweak the EQ for Monitor output and only use Mains for going to FOH or audio interface/mixer/DAW

• One way to counter boominess is just open the back cabinet. Another way is to place the cab on an amp stand -get it off the floor. I have a Marshall Code 50 that is boomy and muddy so it may be inherent with some modeling speakers. Also try placing an EQ pedal ahead of the cabinet instead of messing with your Profile EQ.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• One way to counter boominess is just open the back cabinet. Another way is to place the cab on an amp stand -get it off the floor. I have a Marshall Code 50 that is boomy and muddy so it may be inherent with some modeling speakers. Also try placing an EQ pedal ahead of the cabinet instead of messing with your Profile EQ.

^^If the cab sits on the floor......This.

Even if you can kick the cab back at an angle can help.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Thanks for the ideas, y'all! Appreciate it!

Enchilada_Jones It's not so much that I've dialed in the profiles in the headphones first, it's just "out of the box" they sound killer in the phones. Also, I'm using the "Speaker Out" of the PowerRack.

BayouTexan  Ruefus Thanks! The two cabs I have now are closed back with no real option to open 'em up. As Celestion shared those plans for the one cab specifically for F12 use, I'll try getting that up off the ground to see how that goes.

I'll also be bringing an open-back cab over soon to try that out.

Again, thank you!