DI profiles sounds even better than pro profiles?

• I have that question around my head since I have discovered " engl screamer HG lead" by Giacomo D'avanzo. Talking about the high gain amps, for me, this is the most natural profile of the site; extremely warm , fluid but still agressive so, i was thinking if people who profiles amps ( unfortunately i haven't any amp at the moment ) has appreciated this defference in the naturality of the profile ( i'm talking when i play through power amp and cabinet ) when , instead of using cabinet, you record it only DI...any thought?

• To me there has been nothing cut and dry. There are some great DI's out there but also so many using various mics and techniques and other variables ( a guy used a mike in his daughter's closet or something with a make shift mike stand and it sounded great)......and then you have these people in studios using high end gear and of course they also kick ass.

For my system I actually use the cab models thru my power amp and cabs while I run them direct at the same time thru my studio monitors and they sound good that way. I also at times run DI's with no cab models if I'm feeling that I want that vibe some days. Point is that's what makes the KPA so special to me personally....it sounds great with a variety of configurations and a lot of profiles have some cool twists/tweaks with the DNA that people put on them....DI or not... :)

• I'm so glad you liked my profile ;)
    I honestly don't think it's anything about DI or mic'd profiling, since I made other profiles with DI's (a cheap behringer box) that don't sound that great.
    The only things I remember about that profiling session are:
    - volume up (very loud and a ton of pillows in front of the speaker);
    - 5 minutes of refining;
    - I switched guitars and pickups.

I read that the last step could be wrong according to the kpa instructions, so it might just be some luck :thumbup:

• I wish you make more profiles like that ! For me, as I have said, it's the best " no pro" profile along with " Mesa recti TS". I play with your profile with a ts 9 keeley mod + t rex mab ( only on, without drive ) and any of my guitars ( mayones regius 7 baritone custom, mensinger arcadia 7 and gl legacy HB USA ) and i can destroy the world with the palm mutes xdxd. I sound more heavy and agressive than arch enemy, gojira and even septic flesh ; )

• I have that question around my head since I have discovered " engl screamer HG lead" by Giacomo D'avanzo. Talking about the high gain amps, for me, this is the most natural profile of the site; extremely warm , fluid but still agressive so, i was thinking if people who profiles amps ( unfortunately i haven't any amp at the moment ) has appreciated this defference in the naturality of the profile ( i'm talking when i play through power amp and cabinet ) when , instead of using cabinet, you record it only DI...any thought?

I have a strong opinion on this based on "extensive" experimentation if you can call it extensive.

Profiling an amp using the direct out eliminates any coloration of the amp by a cabinet and allows end users to place any cabinet on the amp without "artifacts" from cabinets that would have been used in profiling. In other words, when you profile with a speaker cabinet, the cabinet can never be completely separated from the amp when an end user wishes to change the cabinet. It will leave behind "sonic fingerprints" that can be partially "wiped off" but never completely eliminated. By profiling without a cabinet the sound of the rig will be completely uncolored. You are then free to place any cabinet of your choice on the amp and have it sound exactly as it would with the real amp instead of a real amp with the cabinet used for profiling "removed" after the profiling which is an impossible feat to accomplish with 100% efficacy. It's amazing that a speaker cabinet can be "removed" at all, and the process works, but it is far from perfect. I wish there were more direct profiles without cabinets.

• The truth is that "tone" comes in many forms. For years my rig was a Digitech 2120 into two Peavey KB60 keyboard amps and I got a ton of complements on it all the time. What ever works, as they say!

• I have a strong opinion on this based on "extensive" experimentation if you can call it extensive.

Profiling an amp using the direct out eliminates any coloration of the amp by a cabinet and allows end users to place any cabinet on the amp without "artifacts" from cabinets that would have been used in profiling. In other words, when you profile with a speaker cabinet, the cabinet can never be completely separated from the amp when an end user wishes to change the cabinet. It will leave behind "sonic fingerprints" that can be partially "wiped off" but never completely eliminated. By profiling without a cabinet the sound of the rig will be completely uncolored. You are then free to place any cabinet of your choice on the amp and have it sound exactly as it would with the real amp instead of a real amp with the cabinet used for profiling "removed" after the profiling which is an impossible feat to accomplish with 100% efficacy. It's amazing that a speaker cabinet can be "removed" at all, and the process works, but it is far from perfect. I wish there were more direct profiles without cabinets.

Here's what I don't understand... well, for starters how the hell the Kemper "knows" what's amp and what's cab. ?( That's a bit o' black magic for sure. 8) But also, if you want separate amp and cab profiles, why not just profile them separately? In other words, profile the amp using a full range speaker of high quality... like a studio monitor but designed to take the power. A good PA speaker might do. Then, profile the cabinet using a hi-fi transistor amp instead of a guitar amp. In this way you could probably do a fair job of isolating both parts.

I don't care that much though, because, to be honest, there is a mountain of good rigs, both commercial and free, and they keep on coming. I've never once said, "I wonder what this amp sounds like with another cab?" because the quality and variety of the Rigs is so vast it's just easier to find one that's already "there."