understanding the differences between modelers and profilers

• Here is a video I did talking about the Kemper and understanding the differences between modelers and profilers.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Hello Barry,

I just enjoyed your video about the difference between a modeler and a profiler. Very informative. Then I came upon a post about wear on the RJ45 connector that you had also posted in. There is a company called British Audio that offers several Kemper mods that include a fix for this problem on the toaster head at https://britishaudio.com/colle…ducts/kemper-profiler-mod. Maybe they can offer something similar for the rack.

Now for a change of subject. Have you noticed the difference in the way slots are loaded via the Remote when the Kemper is connected to Rig Manager through a USB compared to when it's not? I refer you to this forum post, Remote Slot Loading - Profiler Remote - Questions and answers - Kemper Profiler Forum (kemper-amps.com), where I describe some of the differences and I suggest a feature option that allows the behaviors to be selectable without Rig Manager connected. This seems to have fallen on deaf ears so I am currently asking if anyone has found a way to "trick" the Kemper with Remote into behaving like Rig Manager is connected when it is not. Any thoughts? Thanks

Kemper Power Head

Mission Engineering KM-212P-GN w/ Kemper Kone Speakers

• The Kemper is a modeler, it just automates the code when you profile, thats the way I always looked at it.

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• Im a bit confused on the question as it seems very obvious.

A modeler as the amp representation already built into the unit.

A profiler ( in the context of Kemper's definition) takes a snapshot of another amp.

• The Kemper is a modeler, it just automates the code when you profile, thats the way I always looked at it.

No a Modeler is a Piece of Gear where someone puts his understanding of a special Sound in and you could use his opinion of this Sound

A Profiler really catches a Snapshot of a real Amp as it sounds in this situation, its real

a Modell is not a real existing Sound

• No a Modeler is a Piece of Gear where someone puts his understanding of a special Sound in and you could use his opinion of this Sound

A Profiler really catches a Snapshot of a real Amp as it sounds in this situation, its real

a Modell is not a real existing Sound

Yes but somebody had to initially use their ears to create the algorithm unless you know something I don’t,

How would you suggest that would work?, Devine intervention?

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• In my mind the difference is simple and clear.

A modeller tries to recreate the piece of equipment that makes the sound. The AxeFX, Helix etc try to model the signal path of the real amps. This in turn means that the model should behave like the real thing when turning knobs, flicking switches etc etc. It is modelling the hardware which restls in a recreation of the sound. It is very processor intensive as a result.

A profiler catures a snapshot of a SOUND. It doesn't try to replicate the signal path of the original hardware but merely capture the actual sound. As a result knobs switches etc don't respond like the real amp as the profiler doesn't possess the information to know how these controls work on the real device. The benefit is that it needs massively less processing power to achieve the same or better results soundwise. The trade off is that it can't be treated like the real amp for editing tones.

• In my mind the difference is simple and clear.

A modeller tries to recreate the piece of equipment that makes the sound. The AxeFX, Helix etc try to model the signal path of the real amps. This in turn means that the model should behave like the real thing when turning knobs, flicking switches etc etc. It is modelling the hardware which restls in a recreation of the sound. It is very processor intensive as a result.

A profiler catures a snapshot of a SOUND. It doesn't try to replicate the signal path of the original hardware but merely capture the actual sound. As a result knobs switches etc don't respond like the real amp as the profiler doesn't possess the information to know how these controls work on the real device. The benefit is that it needs massively less processing power to achieve the same or better results soundwise. The trade off is that it can't be treated like the real amp for editing tones.

You forgot the most important pro :). It can profile (almost) any amp in the world without prior knowledge of that amp.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM