Rehearsal place with your band: what PA and speakers do you use with your Kemper?

• Hi everyone,

Kemper stage user here.

Let's keep it simple:

What PA and speakers do you use to connect your Kemper at your rehearsal place with your band?

Not asking about Kabinets as monitors, just asking about PA at rehearsal place with your band. The PA where you'd connect your Kemper stage Main outputs at rehearsal.

Thanks! ;)

• Hi, toni dd.

For rehearsal, I want everything to be as close as possible to the live performance experience. That means rehearsing the guitars, mics, and gear including the PA (Bose L1 Pro32). Depending on the gig, I may add in-ear monitors to the gear list.

• It would depend on if the House wants you to use their exclusive PA system, so you may not get to use the FOH sound you want from rehearsal to live. So, a better question would be "which PA would you prefer?" ;)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• It would depend on if the House wants you to use their exclusive PA system, so you may not get to use the FOH sound you want from rehearsal to live. So, a better question would be "which PA would you prefer?" ;)

Hi BayouTexan, I see your point, but I'm not concerned now about the FOH PA system in gigs, right now I just want to hear recommendations about PAs for our private rehearsal place, for my band.

Unfortunately, I guess there isn't much feedback from the rest of users ;) Thanks for answering!

• Hi, toni dd.

For rehearsal, I want everything to be as close as possible to the live performance experience. That means rehearsing the guitars, mics, and gear including the PA (Bose L1 Pro32). Depending on the gig, I may add in-ear monitors to the gear list.

Thanks ST, I take note of your kind recommendation. Though I'm afraid the Bose L1 Pro32 is too expensive for the guys in my band. Do you play with a whole band or just on your own? I'm thinking of rehearsals with my band, does the Bose L1 Pro32 pass the test of the loud drummer? Again thanks!

• Hi, toni dd,

Thanks ST, I take note of your kind recommendation. Though I'm afraid the Bose L1 Pro32 is too expensive for the guys in my band. Do you play with a whole band or just on your own? I'm thinking of rehearsals with my band, does the Bose L1 Pro32 pass the test of the loud drummer? Again thanks!

Let me address the bold part above.

If you haven't thought about this lately, this is a good time to consider How Loud are Drums (in decibels)

I went hunting around on the web and I keep seeing "90-130 decibels" (measured at the drummer's ears). Let's put that into perspective (from the CDC)

https://blogs.cdc.gov/niosh-science-blog/2016/02/08/noise/

The short answer; the older L1 Model II, new L1 Pro16, L1 Pro32 can keep up with a loud drummer (assuming you're not sitting in the drummer's lap).

It wasn't my intention to make a recommendation about the specific gear. Rather - it's the mindset about rehearsal that I'm most opinionated about. I want my experience to be the same (as close as possible) in all the settings where I play (home, studio, rehearsal, live) - so that when I'm playing live, I feel at home.

I do solo gigs and play in bands. I've overdue to write an article about how I'm doing that with my L1 systems.

Cheers,

ST

• I use a Friedman ASC-12. It’s a FRFR powered cab with 500watts RMS and made specifically for guitar modelers. The wood is birch like a regular guitar cab so it actually sounds more like a real cab but doesn’t interfere with the van selection of your profiles. I play technical death metal and jazz. The drummer hits loyal and hard and I have plenty volume to hear clearly without coming close to clipping. Best FRFR cab/speaker I’ve found. I used it with an Axe FX also and it’s great with both.
    https://friedmanamplification.com/monitors/asc-12

• For a year before the covid thing I used a Bose L1 MII for Kemper and vocals in our practice studio. It's all I needed for gigs as the place is good for about 100 people at the small gigs we have in there.

Since then I've gotten a couple of Kabinets, so when we get the studio back open again I'll experiment with those.