Powered or unpowered?

• 1) Two powered Kabs = less gears to carry

2) Two Kabs + amp = possibility to use any guitar cabs with your Kemper

It all depends on your priority!

I would personnaly choose number 1 cause I'm lazy ........

• Agree. That and the amp could be re-assigned to other duties later.

There are so many options, I'm sure I'm missing something.

Hadn't really considered the "maybe someday" wanting more than two Kones - I think a Matrix has power to spare to drive extra speakers. I don't think the Kabinet has a slave speaker output. Haven't considered if the Kemper knows how to imprint on multiple Kones.

Sure - probably not going to ever need 4X12s but I like to consider all the angles. I'm sure there are more I'm missing.

• Two Kabinets are cheaper, but, the Matrix offers the option to use other speakers, if you decide to do that at some point.

GT1000FX = $799.00

Two unpowered Kabinets = $960.00

$1759.00

Two powered Kabinets = $1578.00

$181 cheaper, with no additional expense for a rack/bag for the power amp (another $125 or so?), and, at least one less thing to carry to gigs.

Edit:

That's what happens when you write a post, make dinner, and then hit enter. Other people have already said the same thing

:)

• 90% of the time I'm at bedroom levels so I'm sure I could get by with much less wattage.

I just want to dig into the Kone and see what it does for my own amusement.

Would probably go for something like the little ISP power amp.

I'd still love to see someone make a 10/18/10 watt power amp where the 10's are solid state right & left and the 18 is tube center. Bonus points if it includes an attenuator. Even a 20/50/20 would be great.

• 18 watt tube is mental for bedroom levels. I once had a Victory V30 with a 1/4 watt setting which as plenty loud enough for bedroom.

• It's a whole lot more manageable than 50!

Still would want to use an attenuator with it.

I don't see how it's more manageable. I have a 40 watt and can switch down to 20 watts. It sounds like it is only like a 2db difference at most. If there was no tonal variation of the two setting then I don't think I could tell the difference playing within 10 feet of the amp. I use attenuators to drop my amps down to the 1/4 - 1 watt range for home use but my Kemper pretty much made those paper weights now. :pinch:

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

Edited once, last by BayouTexan ().

• It's a whole lot more manageable than 50!

Still would want to use an attenuator with it.

honestly, as BayouTexan said, there really isn’t that much of a difference in volume. They definitely sound different as the bigger version has more headroom but perceived volume in the room isn’t that different. As well as the V30 with 1/4watt setting, I have a 22w Boogie, a Mark V:25 with a 10w setting, a THD BiVale 30w, 100w Dual Rectifier and 2:ninety stereo power amp. All of them are close to unusable at home without an attenuator. If you are going to have to use an attenuator anyway, you might as well have the extra horsepower available to use for band situations.

• I have the powered rack and love the convenience/flex of this. In you situation I think I'd go powered kabinets for simplicity.

Your decision is really around flex vs convenience as there will be little difference sound wise.

• The new twist is that I've learned you can't use the Kemper Rack with the stereo loop and stereo Kones. The "Send" for the loop becomes the second channel monitor for stereo.

You have two monitor outs along with two stereo return loops on the Stage, though.

Might be time to sell one Kemper for another. Time to sleep on it anyway.