Anyone else find a lot of ToneJunkie profiles to have very flat EQs?

• Don’t get me wrong, I love ToneJunkie’s stuff and have been using a lot of profiles. However, I was doing an EQ Match in Logic with iZotope, and found that a lot of the profiles were just missing a lot of high end presence. Am I the only one?

Of course, there are a million variables to getting EQ to match an studio recording, even if your using the same amp as in the recording. Also, I would need like a 50 band EQ on board the Kemper to match these recordings “perfectly.” But even still, I found a lot of profiles to be lacking presence or have too beefy of a low end. I feel like no frequency ranges really POP!

Specifically, I am playing his Blackface Fenders, and they’re good, just dark. If I kick the Presence up to 5, though, all of a sudden I get that SRV chime from the neck and middle pups. I also gave a whirl to his Dumble Steel String Singer, which was nice, but again, it didn’t have that POP in the high end.

I posted something else about this yesterday, kind of. I’m fine having to tweak the profile EQ, but I don’t like making drastic changes. Whether or not this is true, part of me feels like it’s destroying the integrity of the profile.

• They seem pretty bright to me. A good tool for brightness/darkness is adjusting the definition. Turn it up just a touch for darker sounding profiles and down for bright sounding ones. I found Mbritt profiles to be comparatively a tad darker than Tone Junkie. So which is better? Depend on your own taste, guitar, pickups, which pickup position you primarily are trying to use, style, strings, pick, personal technique and playing style, monitoring device, style of music, tone in a mix vs tone by itself.

The best part of this adjustment is no need to use up an effects slot. I usually start here before touching the tone stack as well.

I also think of it as a pickup translator. In that, if a profile was crafted with the bridge pup being primary, rolling up the definition will make it more balanced when using the neck pickup, and the converse is true as well.

• I actually like the TJ profiles I have tried. My only criticism is that they have way too many effects on them for me. I just turn them off or dial them back. I would rather have a profile that hasn't had a heave EQ applied to it. I would rather tweak them myself. A little EQ is an easy thing to do. The TJ profiles that I have been playing with have a studio EQ in them. He leaves it turned off but it is there if you want it.

I do as mentioned and adjust the definition a little. TJ and MB set this setting a little different form one another. It is a quick and easy tweak to make.

• They seem pretty bright to me. A good tool for brightness/darkness is adjusting the definition. Turn it up just a touch for darker sounding profiles and down for bright sounding ones. I found Mbritt profiles to be comparatively a tad darker than Tone Junkie. So which is better? Depend on your own taste, guitar, pickups, which pickup position you primarily are trying to use, style, strings, pick, personal technique and playing style, monitoring device, style of music, tone in a mix vs tone by itself.

The best part of this adjustment is no need to use up an effects slot. I usually start here before touching the tone stack as well.

I also think of it as a pickup translator. In that, if a profile was crafted with the bridge pup being primary, rolling up the definition will make it more balanced when using the neck pickup, and the converse is true as well.

All I need in my life is MB lol

• I find them very flat full stop... Have gone thru all the free ones, and even bought a few packs, and tried with humbuckers and single coils - IMO the tone/EQ is not bad in many of them (though it all depends on you pickups), but for me the feel is just not there.

Re drastic EQ'ing - totally agree, if you have to do too much, it's rarely going to sound very good - best to find a different profile in that case

• they’ve been quite hit and miss for me - I first bought the Friedman BE pack which just sounded bad to me. I’d given up based on that until recently and after buying a few more packs, some are much better. I do find them slightly on the dark/dull side though