Headphones

• After having my kemper for a little while now, I realised today (don’t judge me) how differently profiles sound depending on the headphone listening volume. Lightbulb moment of how much undoing of tweaking is needed when I get to a live venue...

Is there an optimum headphone level for someone who wants to get into the ball park at home (I can’t play anywhere near gig volume)?

thanks very much

• Play your headphones at gig volumes. That's what I do. Huh? ;)

Headphones are still going to sound different since your hearing a more immersed sound with them. You have to consider what all that air is doing from the cabs/PA and back to your ears for your live sound. It's something that just can't be duplicated by any headphone. Using the "space" option for the headphones help some but I think just playing loud in the headphones is the best you can do.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I realised today (don’t judge me) how differently profiles sound depending on the headphone listening volume. Lightbulb moment of how much undoing of tweaking is needed when I get to a live venue...

Yes, good that you recognized it. Many of us have gone through that. That basic hint to tweak at gig or rehearsal volumes is indeed true.

Play your headphones at gig volumes

Nah, sorry, don't do that! That will seriously harm what you need most to work around what you experience: Your hearing. Don't mess around with it. And personally I doubt that listening very loud via headphones will bring the effect up as much as you hear it over monitors or cabs.

Better train your hearing to understand the differences you hear at gig volume vs. how you perceive it at lower volume or via the headphones. Take good sounding profiles which have proven to sound well live as reference for the ones you freshly select or tweak.

You can also google Fletcher/Munson to understand the effect a bit better. Why is it that profiles tweaked at low volume tend to have too much highs and bass when turned up at the venue...