What is needed to add wireless to legacy Toasters/Racks for wireless app

• we are currently testing different devices. I will forward the link to our team for evaluation.

Very much appreciate it. I said it earlier, but it bears repeating - to have a decade-old piece of electronic hardware able to adapt to, and work a piece of the latest technology is just nuts. Yeah....we need an 'adapter'....but that it can be done at all is nearly unheard of.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Can someone ELI5 how exactly the poe injector works? I currently have my Rack plugged into my normal home router (just a crappy Spectrum one, I’ll buy a new one to put in my rack case once I figure out how it all works) and I also my remote plugged into another port on the same router, with no luck.

I assume the router I’m using does not have poe because the remote is not turning on. If I buy a poe injector, do I just plug that somewhere in the Ethernet chain from my router to my remote (and plug the injector into the wall)?

Essentially: Router > Injector > Remote?

• Can someone ELI5 how exactly the poe injector works? I currently have my Rack plugged into my normal home router (just a crappy Spectrum one, I’ll buy a new one to put in my rack case once I figure out how it all works) and I also my remote plugged into another port on the same router, with no luck.

I assume the router I’m using does not have poe because the remote is not turning on. If I buy a poe injector, do I just plug that somewhere in the Ethernet chain from my router to my remote (and plug the injector into the wall)?

Essentially: Router > Injector > Remote?

exactly right

• I had a TP-Link WiFi range extender (TL-WA860RE) laying around unused, so I decided to test it with the Kemper.
    Not suitable to use with the remote, but works like a charm otherwise. And the AC Passthrough socket came quite handy, as I didn't have an additional free socket nearby, so I can use a single socket for both the Profiler and the WiFi range extender (it's a bit bulky, though, so the plug next to it must be a skinny one)

• What about an Edgerouter X? Has 5 ports and one of them is PoE.

It appears to me the PoE is passive pass through, you would still need another injector to plug into the first port which in turn means two power supplies, but having said this I’m no expert learning as much as I can since the release of the app relying on people here to steer me right?

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• One thing I think needs to be reiterated: The app is an editor only. Not an editor and librarian.

Therefore - the iPad app (as a 1.0 release) currently is NOT a direct replacement to RM on Mac/PC. Rig Exchange is not available, nor is the library function. If it isn't already on the Profiler, the app isn't going to house it so you can load it from the iPad.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I understand that a toaster/rack + remote + app, would need:

- 3 x UTP ethernet CAT5e cables

- 1 x WiFi router

- 1 powered PoE or PoE+ Switch or injector. Kemper PoE will not provide power.
    IEEE 802.3af-2003 (PoE) or 802.3at-2009 mode A. (PoE+)

@G String what is the minimum power needed for the Remote? I’ve found injectors/switches from 12W+ per port

Could any of these work?

1. Switch TP-Link TL-SG1005P (100/1000 15W ports)

https://www.tp-link.com/us/bus…anaged-switch/tl-sg1005p/

2. Injector TRENDnet TPE-147GI 65W 4-Port Gigabit PoE+
    https://www.trendnet.com/produ…oeplus-injector-TPE-147GI

3. NetGear GS305P

https://www.netgear.com/busine…witches/unmanaged/gs305p/

• Good suggestions/comments.

Can I add the following comments:

1. It is in the manual that ...and these standards include the power requirement. So if it follows the standard, it has enough power.

Supported are IEEE standard 802.3af-2003 as well as 802.3at-2009 mode A.

2. Technically, you don't need a 'router', you only need a 'switch' or a wifi 'access point'. A router will work, but tends to be more expensive and bigger.

3. An injector is not really necessary if your switch supports sending PoE which both of your suggestions do.

4. By having a switch that feeds poe out it means that you can get a poe powered wifi access point and you will only need one power supply.

• I am wondering about this Ubiquity AirCube with POE passthrough

airCube Home Wi-Fi Access Point – Ubiquiti Inc.

That needs to be looked at the -

• 24V PoE in and out or power in via included PSU

Not just a pass through then that seems to plague other devices for our needs Allenhuish thoughts?

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• What I'd rather have is a wireless USB connection to the USB-B port.

Yep same here, I’d even be happy with a wired connection to USB, but it is what it is.

On further investigation to the product you brought up descriptions say -

Versatile Power Options

Convenient PoE passthrough to power a 24 V airMAX CPE device, so you can use a single PoE adapter to power both devices.

To provide sufficient power for PoE passthrough:

• The airCube AC requires the included power adapter or 24V, 1A PoE input

Power Supply 24 VDC

They mention passthrough again which seems to contradict the lead add ☹️

• Not sure what the POE output of the ethernet/remote connection is. Looks like it would need to be at least 1A or you'd need the adaptor.

• you need a hub with PoE or an PoE injector for the Profiler Remote. I have one of those and it works good:

https://www.amazon.de/TP-Link-TL-SG1008P-Anschlüsse-PoE-Unterstützung-Metallgehäuse/dp/B00BP0SSAS/ref=sr_1_6?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=tp+link+hub+poe&qid=1623664121&sr=8-6

but obviously you can use other PoE hubs as well. Note though that there are incompatible hubs. Details can be found in our manual.

• That needs to be looked at the -

• 24V PoE in and out or power in via included PSU

Not just a pass through then that seems to plague other devices for our needs Allenhuish thoughts?

I have tried to understand this and do some research, but basically 'passthrough' is not going to work.

Firstly, where is the passthrough coming from? The only useful place is the kemper itself. It seems that it will not supply enough power to power both the remote and a wireless access point. I have looked at the power requirements of the access points and it is a few watts and then they pass the remainder on to the remote.

If you buy a switch/router with poe output then this would not be called passthrough, it is just output.

The most viable option for remote and wifi is a switch (with a separate power supply) which then powers a wifi access point over poe.

If you do not have a remote then a wifi access point with a power supply is the easiest/simplest. In this case, I think that there is a very small chance that there exists a product that will work on power from the kemper, but I think it would have to be trial and error as the kemper does not supply 802.3 power (which is one of the industry standards)

• Ok this works:

Wifi Router TP-LINK TL-WR842N for iPad - connection

POE Injector TP-LINK TL-POE150S for Remote

Now you can put a Ethernet cable from "WAN" to your Internet router and your iPad will connect to the Internet as well.

So I'm waiting for the Rig Exchange for iPad...

• So, the tp-link TL-WR902AC (https://www.tp-link.com/de/hom…g/wifi-router/tl-wr902ac/) arrived and here is some feedback:

it works.

just kidding... here's more:

First, the only "negative" point: It need's a seperate power supply (is included in the package, but i was hoping to power it with the profiler USB-port).

The setup was pretty easy. There are 2 modes relevant for me.

1. "Client mode". the tp-link connects to my home wifi network and the profiler is connected via ethernet cable and my profiler rack is wireless now! It's also working in the 5GHz-range.

2. "Hotspot mode". the router creates it's own wifi and SSIDs. so you can use the ipad on the road.

It's exactly what i was looking for and it's roughly 30€ only.

This is of course without the possibility to use the remote. But I'm just using the 2way switch, so it doesn't bother me.

Edited once, last by spotter ().

• First, the only "negative" point: It need's a seperate power supply (is included in the package, but i was hoping to power it with the profiler USB-port).

USB doesn't give you a lot of power. If you want your Remote to be connected, it's going to be hard to find a combo that works with USB power only (if at all). and "works" means works reliably. With such a setup, there is more ethernet cable involved than with just a remote cable. And that again influences the power consumption. The USB port on your Profiler is designed to power an USB stick, maybe a drive but it shouldn't be used for other things. That includes recharging your phone.

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here