What is needed to add wireless to legacy Toasters/Racks for wireless app

• USB doesn't give you a lot of power. If you want your Remote to be connected, it's going to be hard to find a combo that works with USB power only (if at all). and "works" means works reliably. With such a setup, there is more ethernet cable involved than with just a remote cable. And that again influences the power consumption. The USB port on your Profiler is designed to power an USB stick, maybe a drive but it shouldn't be used for other things. That includes recharging your phone.

It would be interesting to learn the reason(s) why the USB port(s) weren't chosen to add wireless to the legacy models. There must be a practical reason given the fact that USB adapters for Wifi and Bluetooth are easily obtained.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• It would be interesting to learn the reason(s) why the USB port(s) weren't chosen to add wireless to the legacy models. There must be a practical reason given the fact that USB adapters for Wifi and Bluetooth are easily obtained.

You would need to write drivers to make the USB-Port with the rest of the Hardware. There literally hundreds of different WiFi-Sticks.

USB doesn't give you a lot of power. If you want your Remote to be connected, it's going to be hard to find a combo that works with USB power only (if at all). and "works" means works reliably. With such a setup, there is more ethernet cable involved than with just a remote cable. And that again influences the power consumption. The USB port on your Profiler is designed to power an USB stick, maybe a drive but it shouldn't be used for other things. That includes recharging your phone.

I'm aware that USB doesn't supply enough power (but I'm spoiled with USB-C nowadays of course). And as I mentioned, I'm happy with the solution I built myself. I don't care if there is one more power cable in the back and i don't need the remote. I just wanted to give feedback, that this router does its job.

• You would need to write drivers to make the USB-Port with the rest of the Hardware. There literally hundreds of different WiFi-Sticks.

I'm aware that USB doesn't supply enough power (but I'm spoiled with USB-C nowadays of course). And as I mentioned, I'm happy with the solution I built myself. I don't care if there is one more power cable in the back and i don't need the remote. I just wanted to give feedback, that this router does its job.

Well, you could make an official Kemper one. Or just decide on a few with official support.

• You would need to write drivers to make the USB-Port with the rest of the Hardware. There literally hundreds of different WiFi-Sticks.

Thanks for the feedback on the router! I'm looking at the slightly older 702 version as it's half the price, and as it has access point mode, it looks like it should do what I need.

• What I'd rather have is a wireless USB connection to the USB-B port.

For you and others that would like this option, I think the only chance would be if CK decided to offer a Kemper USB wifi dongle.

They would need to find a piece of off-the-shelf hardware that already has driver support for the KPA operating system (I am guessing they are using Linux, but someone feel free to correct me). Then they would need to modify their code to allow the remote ethernet commands to be transported over this new interface.

Might be a nice upgrade CK ;). Shouldn't cost to much to private label a piece of hardware and test and validate the changes. I suspect most people would be willing to shell out $100 for something so easy to use for the new remote software.

• Ok it’s official this is doing my head in.

Vintage White toaster and Kemper remote.

I was hoping for a more elegant solution then a router and Poe injector with the need for two power supplies.

Doesn’t seem likely, so I said to myself suck it up and just go with the router and injector.

Kemper says it supports IEEE-Standard 802.3af-2003 and 802.3at-2009 Mode A.

But all he routers I’m looking at say they support IEEE 802.11n/g/b.

I no nothing about this crap, can I use a router that supports IEEE 802.11n/g/b ?

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• 802.3af refers to the POE standard, not the router.

• I think I can help.

There are loads of standards with different numbers.

802.11 (plus some letters) are all standards for wireless networking. I won't go into it here, but unless you have a strange situation you probably don't really care what version of 802.11 you get as long as the device is reasonably modern.

802.3 (plus some letters) are all standards for how power (electrical) is sent over network wires.

So 802.11 is for the ipad to connect to the kemper via wifi

802.3 is to power the remote.

To confuse things slightly some 802.11 devices can be powered by 802.3

If you don't have a remote don't worry about the 802.3 stuff.

Allen

• I am connected with my Kemper Rack, Remote and iPad , everything is working.

Here is what I used...

Equipment used:

tp-link TL-POE150S ( IEEE 802.3af standard and can work with all IEEE 802.3af PoE compliant powered devices)

Netgear AC1750 R6400 wireless router

- I had a wireless Netgear router kicking around. Plugged Kemper rack into network LAN port 1 and Remote into PoE and PoE into network LAN port 2 (do not plug into the WAN port).

This way the Kemper and Remote are on same network and can talk to each other.

- Booted up Kemper and made sure Remote was working.

- Then on my iPad in system settings, I choose the new network for Netgear.

- Started Kemper iPad app, scanned and found my Kemper, then joined.

Was quick, simple and fast.

Edited 5 times, last by drog ().

• Got it thanks Allenhuish and drog

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• did you try this?

Or does someone else know if this will work?

This would be a cheap solution and it will fit inside my rack together with the toaster

• Sorry, I haven't tried it yet. I was holding off as there is a rumour that the kemper team are going to test out a few different options. The thing I'm hoping for is powering everything from USB on the kemper, but to be honest I don't think it will happen.

However, (no guarantees), I'm pretty good with networking etc. and I have a very high expectation that it would work.

Here is a cheaper option for powering POE through a router for only £25

https://amzn.to/2TQJ98B

And for wireless this is £30 and really tiny

https://amzn.to/3qc4ZPT

The wifi access point is incredibly small and needs no power other than from the other box.

At the moment, this looks like the most efficient/cheapest setup with only one power supply needed, plus uses the remote and wifi.

The only thing that would be better is if the kemper crew can find something that works with USB power from the kemper, but it seems unlikely to me.

Also, you only need both of those devices if you want to use the remote and the ipad app at the same time.

EDIT: I HAVE TESTED BOTH OF THESE DEVICES NOW AND THEY DO NOT WORK WITH THE KEMPER (although in theory they should). If you get them to work just post here please.

• I can confirm the following set up will work (I just did it yesterday for my home studio and it's working great for my needs) provided you already have a WiFi network and router available, e.g. like at home.

Using a TP-Link TL-SG1005P PoE switch. With this set up, my iPad with Rig Manager installed connects with no issues to the KPA and remote works perfectly as well.

Works great for home studio needs but of course not suitable for live use.

• Equipment used:

tp-link TL-POE150S ( IEEE 802.3af standard and can work with all IEEE 802.3af PoE compliant powered devices)

Good to hear. I just picked up a POE150S from eBay ($15) and was hoping it would prove compatible (haven't had a chance to setup yet). I plan to piggy-back on the Netgear AP we're currently using for Behringer X-Air mixer control.

• I already have a Ritter Amplification GBA 280 with Velcro mounted into the back of my toaster (Camplifier the other way), this already have a Y Power chord for Kemper and amp. I stick the little TP Link router on top of it and get a power plug which can charge the router with USB… looked cramped but for me it is the best solution, Kemper is 3-4 cm deeper but I have only to stick the Kabinet and one power chord and I am good to go…