What is needed to add wireless to legacy Toasters/Racks for wireless app

• I have just received a parcel from amazon and this device works perfectly and is powered by USB.

I've had it running for a couple of hours powered by the Kemper and works perfectly. Can work 2 different ways: will add your kemper to your home/studio wifi network or create it's own network if you're on a gig. This solution won't work with a remote, but otherwise it looks like the neatest and cheapest thing.

There are a few different versions, but this one was the cheapest that I found on ebay UK, just under £20.

https://amzn.to/3gSp3CA

[Blocked Image: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61XnHPPROZL._AC_SL1000_.jpg]

• How long are the cables? The Rack version doesn't have a USB port on the backside...

• The Tenda Tef1105P-4-63W did not power my remote. maybe it supports only PoE mode B.
    Now i ordered a TP-Link TL-SG1005P as it works for nottoohigh .

The Mikrotik mAP lite is really tiny, but after two hours trying to set it up i decided to send it back.

i now ordered the usb powered device https://amzn.to/3gSp3CA that works for Allenhuish . I hope configuring will be easyer with this one.

• Thanks for the feedback.

Well I also had a bad experience with the TEF1105P and I'm sending mine back too. Would not power the remote.

I have bought a Mikrotik MAP lite, but have not set it up yet because I really want to run it on POE power and the poe router does not work.

I will update the main thread when I get a chance with this feedback.

I am holding off the tp-link because I would prefer the power supply on the tenda (the tenda uses a kettle mains cable like the kemper so I can get an adapter to power both) the tp-link uses a wall wart adapter which requires a socket (more space used up in the back of the kemper)

• Not saying this as gospel, but I think powering a device using the USB on your Kemper might not be desirable. Could DonPetersen confirm that?

• Well I'm sorry to say that after about an hour I also gave up trying to get the mikrotik wifi gadget to work. It was very tiny, but I could not even get into it to start configuring it. I had a look on a few forums and it seems that this problem is fairly common. It's a shame because it is very small and runs off POE power so it would have been perfect.

I am holding off the tp-link because I would prefer the power supply on the tenda (the tenda uses a kettle mains cable like the kemper so I can get an adapter to power both) the tp-link uses a wall wart adapter which requires a socket (more space used up in the back of the kemper)

Maybe you could buy a separate power supply (i am thinking about that). and you could eventually power the wifi devicee with PoE https://www.omg.de/ubiquiti-ne…u-usb-ins-3af-usb/a-14504

• I have also just tried an old device that I had laying around - Netgear WNCE2001

It does work, but not reliably. The Kemper app crashes when I change rigs.

It's so old that they don't even sell it any more, but just in case anyone has one laying around I thought it would be useful to share the info.

• I made my Kemper Remote WLAN capable years ago, don't know if anyone cares

but this is how it works for me:

You need two small travel routers which you can use as an access point and can be configured as a client (TP-Link TL-WR902AC AC750 WLAN Nano Router), as well as a POE (TP-Link TL-POE150S)

One of the routers is configured as an access point with a fixed IP address (DHCP client should be ON, it is also by default)

then connect this to the Kemper using a network cable.

(Do not forget to set the WLAN SSID network name and password).

The second router is configured as a network client and connected to the WLAN of the first router.

Then connect this to the remote via the POE.

That's all

KEMPER -> Accespoint ( Air ) WlanClinet -> POE -> Remote

Everything for about 80 Euro.

You can also use the smaller router from TP-Link

(TP-Link TL-WR802N N300 WLAN Nano Router for 20 euros)

however, this one can only work in the 2.4GHz band and I wanted to use the 5GHz to avoid interference.

So, I can login the iPad to the WLAN very simple.

Here os a short video what it looked like during testing.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Be the force with you ;)

Edited 2 times, last by Yoda Guitar: Video added ().

• did you have to configure the vonets device or just plug it into the kemper and make a wifi connection from the ipad with the default password?

I can't remember if that would have worked, but I followed the pretty simple instructions that came with it.

The way I have configured it is to have the vonets bridge into my normal home wifi network. So I had to tell it my wifi password etc. Once that is done any time you power it up it connects to my home network. The benefit is that I don't have to switch network on my ipad.

Just fire up the app and there is the kemper! Simples.

• Ok i will try That.

But i would prefer Connection to the Kemper directly

That will work too. I might try it later.

I would think that for most people they would want to connect to home wifi, but if you are out on a gig then you need the direct connection mode that you are saying.

• I have also just tried an old device that I had laying around - Netgear WNCE2001

Success:
    TP-Link TL-SG1005P and Netgear WNCE2001 worked immedeatelly.
    WNCE2001 is connected to my home WiFi.

i connected:
    - Remote
    - WNCE2001
    - Kemper

to the TL-SG1005P

and the PC via USB

KPA + Remote + RigManager (iPad) + RigManager (PC) work simultaniously.

I will try again with the Vonets to connect direct to the Kemper without the home wifi.

• I've now put a video on page 1 of this thread which is basically an explanation for people who are not sure how to get started with wifi on legacy toasters and racks.

Thanks for all the input on this thread!

• Hi,

Thanks for putting all the information in one place.

The Amazon links in your lead post lead to this message.