Mixing and blending your favourite cabs or signature sounds

• Hi there,

many of you wondered if this would be possible, mixing your favourite cab sounds together for the ultimate hybrid mix sound. Well, it is possible, and as far as i can say, it is awesome!!!

So how do you do it? Basically the setup is the same as with tone matching that is done with a DAW plugin. See this thread for explanation:

classic metal tones done with EQ matching

The idea is to change your amp signal into a target signaland then a create a profile. In the previous attempts the target signal has been a classic signature metal tone, found on a record or something. What i now tried to do is to use a KPA sound as a target. First you take a normal amp profile with the KPA, which will be your "source" sound. After you have this profile inside your KPA, exchange the cab to something you would like as a target.

Now, use the tonematching as known. Record a clip with the target sound inside your DAW, then record the same clip with your source amp sound. Then use ozone or any other tonematching plugin to match your source sound to the target. This will basically allow you to recreate a cab sound that you like. You can use this to even blend between your source sound and the target cab and take some profiles with some nice blended tones, since you dont habe to match 100%, settings like 50/50 will also give nice results.

The great thing is that you do not have to limit yourself to one audio track with one instance of tonematching. If you repeat the procedure on a second audio track and use a different target cab there, you can have both sounds at the time and mix them together to your liking. Thus you can create mixed profiles without any limits. Just did a quick test and mixed Till 1960 006, Tills Recto 055 and the G12K100 by r_u_serious. Metal mayhem!!! :thumbup:

• Hi!
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us!

I've only got some questions: Isn't the KPA also storing the power amp characteristics in the Cabinet-section?
    And doesn't that mean, that you combine not only cabinet profiles but also the poweramps of different profiles?

• And doesn't that mean, that you combine not only cabinet profiles but also the poweramps of different profiles?

That´s right. To a certain degree the sound of the power amp is reflected in the cab profiles. Since the results seem to vary from setup to setup, it´s a matter of trial and error to get decent results when creating cab profiles.

• Ah, ok!

Just one more question (sorry if this is a stupid one):
    So I want to combine two rigs I have on my KPA. How do I connect the KPA to make this work? Do I just need to connect: KPA-Send>>DAW>>KPA-Return for that?

• Ah, ok!

Just one more question (sorry if this is a stupid one):
    So I want to combine two rigs I have on my KPA. How do I connect the KPA to make this work? Do I just need to connect: KPA-Send>>DAW>>KPA-Return for that?

??? not sure I understand you.... If you want to overdub with another Rig you need to reamp the dry track, if you want to change the cab just press and hold Cab and browse through the Rigs using the Browse knob

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• ??? not sure I understand you.... If you want to overdub with another Rig you need to reamp the dry track, if you want to change the cab just press and hold Cab and browse through the Rigs using the Browse knob

Sorry, if I've expressed myself too unclearly! Basically I meant I want to do blend two cabs as tylerhb mentioned in his post. My problem is that I downloaded the cabs I want to combine and I don't own any mics to profile the usual way. I thought maybe I could do this like profiling a "computer-based guitar amp simulation" (manual page 47) and use the kemper itself as reference amp. but this probably wouldn't work...

• No, you can't do it this way. You need an amp and the 2 real cabs (with 2 mics and a mixer) in order to create a blended profile.

Edit: if you have a software modeler that allows you to use multiple cabs you can profile it or if you can mix and blend IR's in your DAW then you can apply it to the modeler and profile it

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• No, you can't do it this way. You need an amp and the 2 real cabs (with 2 mics and a mixer) in order to create a blended profile.

Edit: if you have a software modeler that allows you to use multiple cabs you can profile it or if you can mix and blend IR's in your DAW then you can apply it to the modeler and profile it

No, my approach was a little different. Imagine you do a tonematch with ozone, like it has already been discussed. Instead of a target tone from a metallica record, you just record a riff with your favouite KPA rig that has that cab sound that you want as a part of your blending. Then you use your Amp, modeller, DI out or whatever that you transform into the sound of that KPA rig. You would do a tone match like normal and could just profile it. The result would be something that sounds very similar to your KPA rig of course.

Now comes the trick: While you did this on a single audio track, you repeat the process on another audio track with a different KPA target rig. Now you activate both audio tracks which both have a different tone match setting enabled at the same time. Now you can simply use the faders of the audio channels inside your DAW to mix and blend the sounds. Of course you also create profiles this way.