Maxon af-9

• I'm a huge Marty Friedman fan, and one of the few pedals he uses is the Maxon af-9.

I've been trying to hunt one down but not having any luck, so I was wondering if anybody knows how I can emulate the sound using the kemper?

It's basically an auto filter pedal, and the way he sets it kinda sounds like an auto wah with minimal sweep.

He uses it with all parameters in the "off" (switches all the way down) position.

Is getting something to mimick that snapshot doable?

Here is the pedal in action:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited 2 times, last by xzyryabx ().

• Oh wow, didn't know they were still in production! Thanks for the pointer.

I've been scouring the used sites for months and all I've found are a few here and there but for more than I would like to pay, especially for used, $250+.

Good to know there's a source for new ones, I'll look into whether or not they ship to Japan.

Still interested if there is a way to get the sound in the vid with the kemper since that's cheaper, less hasstle, and I prefer to not start getting into pedal logistics.

• Oh wow, didn't know they were still in production! Thanks for the pointer.

I've been scouring the used sites for months and all I've found are a few here and there but for more than I would like to pay, especially for used, $250+.

Good to know there's a source for new ones, I'll look into whether or not they ship to Japan.

Still interested if there is a way to get the sound in the vid with the kemper since that's cheaper, less hasstle, and I prefer to not start getting into pedal logistics.

Well... It's Made In Japan.

• Had one, really cool pedal and does that "thing" Marty has used for years.

I use the Touch wah in the Kemper and have it set for a milder version of that, like Paults said... You can

get in the ballpark definitely. To me the real one didn't handle the way I like muted fast passages to sound, but the Kemper

does because I can set it even "lower" if that makes sense.

Spotify, iTunes, Bandcamp, etc... Lugosi Smile

• Oh you're the man I've been looking for!!

Possible to share your settings so I can have a starting off point?

How would you change your settings to get it closer to the settings Marty uses for the af9?

• Oh you're the man I've been looking for!!

Possible to share your settings so I can have a starting off point?

How would you change your settings to get it closer to the settings Marty uses for the af9?

Why don't you try for yourself and experiment. You might find other settings you like too.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• I don't know how close this will be anymore, I dialed that in a few years ago and I don't know what the "closer"

setting would be anymore (I went back and forth with the real pedal back then)

Anyhow, here are my personal milder settings. One thing that might matter a good bit, I use P90s

that have a good bit of vocal presentation already... So you are probably going to have to dial away.

HOPE THIS HELPS:

manual zero

Peak 6.2
    Pedal range -35%
    peak range +1%
    mode touch (obvious)
    mix 19%
    ducking +.3
    touch attack .9
    touch release 3.1
    touch boost 10.0

Spotify, iTunes, Bandcamp, etc... Lugosi Smile