Help: Kemper won't start

• Only had my KPA for a couple weeks and now having an issue where it won't start. Everything was working fine a few hours ago, but I turned it off when I went to dinner. Just came back and turned it on and it looks like it's booting up (the progress bar moves to the end)...but then it just sits there on the "Kemper Profiling Amplifier - Get the latest software updates..." green screen.

The first time I let it sit there for about 10 minutes and it never came on. Tried around 5 other times and let it sit between 5 and 15 minutes with the same result. Plus, turning the power knob to off doesn't do anything. I have to disconnect the power supply. I even tried a system reset by holding the System button upon start up. After it goes through the initializing process, it just hangs again.

I'm on the current public beta firmware 1.1 something.

Any advice??

• I had something similar, after installing lastest firmware, it took a very long time to boot (I have lot's of profiles on it probably more then 1600, i'm sure this didn't help) I unplugged the cable for like 30 minutes, tried it again and it probably took like 20 minutes to boot, but now has been fine and not doing it anymore, maybe try giving it more time, and see if it ends up booting... very strange..

• I still have this same problem coming up occasionally - I reported it like 2 months ago to Support by phone, sent an e-mail with my backup file but got no answer since then... :(
    The only thing that helps me in this situation is turning the Kemper off (if you set it to off, it WILL turn off, just wait a little) and turning it on again... if it doesn't come up in say, 1-2 minutes, it will not come up, rinse and repeat. It will eventually turn on.

Use your ears, not your mathematical sense.

• Well no matter what I tried or how long I let it sit, it would not start. I had to resort to erasing the internal flash memory and reloading the factory rigs. Imported my user profiles and all seems fine again. I love the sounds but I don't know how comfortable I would feel using this live at this point. Only had it for a couple months and already had an "Unknown Error" trying to import rigs and now this. Hopefully it was just a fluke and things go a little smoother from here on out.

• Same problem here. Had no issues before. I suspect heavy adjustments of some parameters. While I was testing different speaker I had to turn the main volume / monitor volume up and down many times. Maybe this is a reason?

• Well no matter what I tried or how long I let it sit, it would not start. I had to resort to erasing the internal flash memory and reloading the factory rigs. Imported my user profiles and all seems fine again. I love the sounds but I don't know how comfortable I would feel using this live at this point. Only had it for a couple months and already had an "Unknown Error" trying to import rigs and now this. Hopefully it was just a fluke and things go a little smoother from here on out.

Same problem here. Had no issues before. I suspect heavy adjustments of some parameters. While I was testing different speaker I had to turn the main volume / monitor volume up and down many times. Maybe this is a reason?

Not sure if the two issues are related. Have you raised it with Support?

I don't want to sound dubious, however, I'm still having this issue from time to time, I reported it, got no answer since then... and I have some different ones, too (like a clipping problem that I've already reported to support personally by phone, and guess what, I still didn't get an answer from them).
    I'm really starting to wonder if the KPA will ever reach the stability to be even on par with a Line 6 or similar cheaper unit in terms of reliability...
    You have pretty much summarized what I feel with this sentence: " I love the sounds but I don't know how comfortable I would feel using this live at this point."
    Sad but true.

Use your ears, not your mathematical sense.

• Which version are you talking about? Did you try the 1.1.0 Public Beta?
    Timo

Yes, I am on the 1.1 Beta. Haven't contacted support yet, but wanted to post here first to see how common this issue is.

Hopefully if it's a bug it will be corrected in an upcoming firmware update. Or maybe it was just a fluke and I'll cross my fingers it doesn't happen again. I had it on and off many times over the weekend and things are working fine *knock on wood*. I mentioned I had the unit for a couple months, but I actually bought it new from zzounds on June 3, so it's just over one month old.

• I still have this same problem coming up occasionally - I reported it like 2 months ago to Support by phone, sent an e-mail with my backup file but got no answer since then... :(
    The only thing that helps me in this situation is turning the Kemper off (if you set it to off, it WILL turn off, just wait a little) and turning it on again... if it doesn't come up in say, 1-2 minutes, it will not come up, rinse and repeat. It will eventually turn on.

@ Richard : Hi Richard, so sorry for that, you're right, I simply forgot to check your Backup days ago, we had so much to do at that time, I just overlooked it, sorry again. I will pick this case up again.

best
    Manfred

• Kinda unrelated but mine won't even turn on it seems unless the 2 XLR main output jacks are connected to my firewire interface. If I just plug the power cable in and nothing else, when I turn the power knob, nothing happens.

Is this normal? I'm curious because I'm wanting to not HAVE to use my firewire unit if I don't have to. I'd prefer to just connect my 2 monitors to the kemper and let that be that but it won't power on this way :/

• Kinda unrelated but mine won't even turn on it seems unless the 2 XLR main output jacks are connected to my firewire interface. If I just plug the power cable in and nothing else, when I turn the power knob, nothing happens.

Is this normal? I'm curious because I'm wanting to not HAVE to use my firewire unit if I don't have to. I'd prefer to just connect my 2 monitors to the kemper and let that be that but it won't power on this way :/

That is definitely NOT normal. You do not need to be connected to an interface to use the KPA. I use it all the time just connected to my monitors. So something else is going on. I would contact support.

• That is far from normal. Did I get it right? It does not power on unless the XLR are connected? ?(

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Is this normal? I'm curious because I'm wanting to not HAVE to use my firewire unit if I don't have to. I'd prefer to just connect my 2 monitors to the kemper and let that be that but it won't power on this way :/

That sounds almost impossible!!! If it's doing that I wouldn't try to plug it in anymore and contact support!

• That is far from normal. Did I get it right? It does not power on unless the XLR are connected? ?(

That's correct. I discovered it yesterday (I got it yesterday) when I moved it over to the other side of my desk to use it and when I flipped the power knob, nothing happened.

This was a customer return unit so I'm wondering if that's the actual reason it was sent back instead of "not what the customer was looking for" being the reason.