Help: Kemper won't start

• That's correct. I discovered it yesterday (I got it yesterday) when I moved it over to the other side of my desk to use it and when I flipped the power knob, nothing happened.

This was a customer return unit so I'm wondering if that's the actual reason it was sent back instead of "not what the customer was looking for" being the reason.

Well...technically, most customers wouldn't be "looking for" a unit that didn't power up. :P

I'm sorry for your experience. Stick with it - the destination is worth a few potholes. :)

• I got similar power up issue. It seems like the unit need to be "warm up" before it can turn on. Whenever I turn on the power from the main and the chicken head for the first time of the day, it will will not turn on. I will have to unplug the power cable from the wall and wait for a while and plug it in again, then it works.. I have tried return the unit, but it was able to power up there and dealer not convince its faulty.. Similarly, I am neither convince that my house has an unstable electrical flow as claimed by the dealer too.. If there is a constant unstable flow of electricity in my house, then I do not think KPA is the only appliances that is affected by it ....

Btw, did you managed to power up at least once since you purchase yesterday?

• Well...technically, most customers wouldn't be "looking for" a unit that didn't power up. :P

I'm sorry for your experience. Stick with it - the destination is worth a few potholes. :)

OK, I'm definitely not an engineer, but could this somehow be a grounding issue? Perhaps the KPA is sensitive to it and you're getting a correct ground when the XLR's are used? ?(

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Was near to a heart attack yesterday.
    Got my KPA on Tuesday, programmed few days and everything worked fine, no start problems. Yesterday made many tweakings and prepared for gig (Midi settings a.s.o.).
    Then first time the problem with green screen ... starts then after 3rd try with cable of ...
    On stage same problem ... green screen .... even 10 tries didn't get it to start.
    Fortunatly I read the tips from Armin (shouldn't there be a troubleshooting chapter in a manual ?) and fortunatly I had an usb stick (with latest firmware update and backups) with me.
    Started with [<> + Main knob to tuner] to reinstall from stick : message ".. cannot find software ..." (it was in the "OS Updates" folder like set up by KPA). Copied the .bin to main directory (even a notebook was there :D ) and tried again. Began to install from stick ... after finish (thaught so) message : "unable because of multiple versions..." (there still was the same version in the "OS Update" folder) ... but then he turned on and all settings where still there.
    Had a great gig then .. unbelievable tone (played a HD500 before) and in this matter I'm very happy ... :thumbup:

But such startup problems are not bearable I think ...

I will order an UPS of course but this problem has nothing to do with that.

OK, I'm definitely not an engineer, but could this somehow be a grounding issue? Perhaps the KPA is sensitive to it and you're getting a correct ground when the XLR's are used?

Our band technician told me to try in this direction but no combination (for example no cables except the power cable) worked.

I really hope that will come a solution for these problems!
    8)

• Fortunatly I read the tips from Armin (shouldn't there be a troubleshooting chapter in a manual ?) and fortunatly I had an usb stick (with latest firmware update and backups) with me.
    Started with [<> + Main knob to tuner] to reinstall from stick : message ".. cannot find software ..." (it was in the "OS Updates" folder like set up by KPA). Copied the .bin to main directory (even a notebook was there ) and tried again. Began to install from stick ... after finish (thaught so) message : "unable because of multiple versions..." (there still was the same version in the "OS Update" folder) ... but then he turned on and all settings where still there

Reinstalling the firmware does per se not solve any of these issues. Armin's guide is misleading regarding the largest part of problems. The initialization of the flash memory was only necessary after a bug in 1.0.5 where a memory corruption bug could also mess up the flash memory organisation.
    For your actual problem, please contact support.
    Timo

• Wow .

If that happened to me at a show the club wouldn't wait very long or the band for me to fix it, I wouldve been grabbing for any old amp just to get through it Because the singer and drummer would be saying cmon we gotta go before we lose our pay from the club and they never have us back again especially if it happened during a 15 minute break or while playing

You were lucky you got the time to update firmware etc.

I think all of this will get better once the kemper has been around a while , its a great device , great concept , great tones .

great for the recording studio or home studio .

• Our band technician told me to try in this direction but no combination (for example no cables except the power cable) worked.

I really hope that will come a solution for these problems!
    8)

Here is an interesting quote from CK stating that the KPA is not grounded by the power cable, and is only grounded by a connection to another device, in one of it's inputs, or outputs. Thus the importance of not using all the ground lifts simultaneously.
    Does this also mean that the KPA should not be operated without something connected to it for proper grounding?
    What if you just want to update firmware, or edit rigs?
    Is the KPA at risk if operated with nothing connected to it?

quoted from this thread

EDIT: Ok, I received an answer from Support explaining that CK, in his quoted post above, is referring to audio grounding, not electrical grounding.
    So, the KPA is safe to operate ,without external connections, for things like upgrading firmware, or editing rigs.
    I assume (obviously)that the power cord provides AC grounding, just no audio grounds.
    Thanks Kemper Support :thumbup:

Edited once, last by imall41 ().