How to get the Chainsaw guitar tone?

• Awesome_Elvis  BayouTexan

I can make some new Kemper profiles ( I can not promise and it will take some time - I am busy atm :rolleyes:). I have a Peavey Rage solid state amp with a speaker out mod to hook up some bigger cabs. I can push it with my original HM-2 made in Japan. I can also dial in the cab part using Ugritone TRVE Cab with SweDeath IR. Maybe the result will be close enough to have fun with it :)

That would be swell. If you can put together a good profile, I can basically A/B easily with my Kemper and try to nail the tone using one of my free profiles.

I'll also try and learn an Entombed song so I can put together a mix to demo the tone in the meantime.

Don't have an HM2, but I used to get a whole variety of buzzsaw tones back in the day. Should be fun.

Given that you say you can't cop the tone exactly with an HM-2 in your hands, it might be an exercise in futility though.

I've always associated that tone with an over the top fizz and hiss. After all, all the controls on the pedal are dimed. In that regard, you may not even be able to profile it, because the Kemper will tell you there is too much noise.

This is another Swedish band that had a similar tone, Grave.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I think Grave used the Boss DS-1 and never HM-2. I can include profiles with DS-1 and Metalzone.

Atm I have a pinched nerve and can hardly move my right arm. But as soon as it gets better and I have free time I'll do my best

• I just thought about this thing! I got it years ago when I wanted to learn guitar but did not want to practice. :rolleyes: Has been collecting dust ever since. I saved it because it was my first pedal. (I saved my first guitar too and am using it now). I wonder how this will do. I think it's similar to the HM2??

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• So I had some free time and was just experimenting with... chainsaw tones. I really didn't have a frame of reference other than some YouTube videos I listened to.

Here's the recording. Warning, it is very loud, so lower your speaker volume/headphone volume.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I tried two variations of the tone, one very raw and aggressive to the point of being unlistenable and the other which was more polished and smooth. They didn't play together very well when I panned them left and right and played some Grave riff, but that was expected.

Do note, I am currently at a location where I don't have access to a proper DAW and the net connection is very poor, so I haven't had a chance to download Cubase yet. This was made with GarageBand. So basically, zero EQing or tweaking.

• DAW doesn't matter.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• It’s funny how the Boss HM was laughed at years ago, now it’s almost revered by certain guitarists. Many years ago I worked at a music store when this pedal came out, kids would come in and “chunk away” forever… absolutely drove me nuts.

I picked up a Arion Metal Master cheap one day, was supposed to be similar to that sound… awful. Wish I still had it though.