AXFXII owner here - Thinking of selling AXFXII and getting a KEMPER - Appreciate your opinions please

• Hi everyone.

I have lusted after an AxFXII for over a year. I was on the waiting list for about 8 months and my name finally came up so I ordered one. I have now owned it for about 2 months. During my wait the Kemper came out. I was intrigued and thought of getting the Kemper instead of the AXFX but I ended up choosing the AX. The Axe is really awesome but I have seemed to fall into the trap of doing alot more tweaking on presets than actual playing. There are great tones in the Axe but the urge to tweak kills my playing time. I have started hearing more and more clips online of the Kemper and just about every clip I hear I am so impressed with how awesome they sound. That seed that was planted long ago that peaked my interest in the Kemper has continued to grow and now I feel it may bloom!!! I think to myself, could it be that I would be happier with the Kemper rather than the Axe FX? I'm really not that much of a tweaker and I am drawn to the plug and play of the Kemper. I could pick a patch, and play! Fiddle a few knobs but the tone will always be there for whatever patch I use. Hmmmm, I'm really curious now about the Kemper. One drawback that made me pause in getting the kemper was a lack of a computer editor like Ax Edit. I can overlook that for now I guess because I feel like there will be one down the road.

I am a metal guitarist. I love all kinds of metal. Today I had my mind blown when I went to youtube and heard two clips from SilentUnderground. Metallica tones from most studio Metallica albums and Pantera tones from each studio album. These were incredible!!!! As a metal player they were spot on and I WANTED THEM!!!!!! I have been seeking tones like this from the AxeFX and while close they just haven't been spot on, these clips however knocked me out! The power of the Kemper was clearly evident and a real contender to the AxFXII!

I now sit here on the verge of selling my Axe FXII and getting the Kemper. Should I or shouldn't I? This is a big decision because I have invested so much money into the AXFX. I want to make sure I would be making a smart move. One thing I am really excited about regarding the Kemper is the ever expanding library of amp tones. Just about everything you could want is there and more! I am constantly seeing new amps being added. With the AXFX there are a few here and there but not as many metal tones as I would like. Dont get me wrong the Ax can do metal pretty good but honestly from what I have heard of the Kemper, the Kemper metal tones sound more real. Of course I am listening to clips online so it could be a different story when I hear it in person but the user experiences give me confidence in the Kempers abilities.

I did have a few questions if you dont mind.

1 - If I get a Kemper recording and playing live in my room from a FRFR setup is very important. Can I have the Kemper hooked into an audio interface as well as say a couple FRFR Atomic Wedge speakers at the same time?

2 - I want to record high quality crisp audio. I wont need many outputs since I will be recording myself. Mostly I would just be recording guitars, some midi keyboard and acoustic guitar. What would be a really good Audio interface for my needs?

Thats about it for now. I am really thinking of giving the Kemper a go and sell my AxeFXII. Has anyone else done this? If so any regrets? The Axe is amazing but I feel it may be a little too much for me. I want that plug and play, I want to rock out more than tweak if you know what I mean. I have actually found myself just plugging into my Line6 SpiderIII and jamming rather than firing up my AxeFXII sometimes!!!!! I know thats nuts but it might give a hint as to where my heads at, I just want to pick my guitar up and play, not be inundated with lots of tweak-able parameters calling for me to tweak them. :) I know I dont have to but sometimes I cant help but to fiddle some of those knobs and try to get even better tones. :) Hence the tweaking phenomenon. I know it sounds like I want the Kemper and should go for it, Its just hard to make that final call since I invested so much money into it.

I really appreciate any thoughts. :thumbup:

• Wow, that's a lot to digest. Haha

In my brief experience, the Kemper can be as simple or complicated as you make it. A lot of profiles are take 'em or leave 'em right away; some may need just some minor tweaks to get it right. As much as the Kemper has a rep for being so "simple" and easy to dial in, there is a lot under the hood and so many options to tweak...if you want to.

As for the Axe, if it's just not doing it for you, then no reason to keep it. However, maybe a little more time with it would find that tone for you. That said, you're always welcome in the Kemper family :thumbup:

• Hope this helps...somewhere in amongst all this 'code' is your answer... :D

Ali VS Frazier, Foreman VS Frazier, Foreman VS Ali, Bowe VS Holyfield, Bowe VS Golota, Tyson VS Holyfield, Tyson VS Douglas, Leonard VS Duran, Leonard VS Hagler, Hearns VS Leonard, Hearns VS Hagler, Duran VS Barkley, Louis VS Schmeling, Marciano VS Louis, Ray Robinson VS Randy Turpin...

IMHO, YMMV.

Just kidding. ;)

Whatever you choose or end up with, enjoy it.

• As stupid as it sounds, the best would be to keep the Axe II, get the Kemper under return policy, and decide afterward which one to keep....but I understand the financials. Nothing and nobody can substitute your ears and your feel. A lot of people here have both of them, let's see if somebody chimes in.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• As stupid as it sounds, the best would be to keep the Axe II, get the Kemper under return policy, and decide afterward which one to keep....but I understand the financials. Nothing and nobody can substitute your ears and your feel. A lot of people here have both of them, let's see if somebody chimes in.

+1

To test both devices against each other might be just the right thing for you. And if you find something in the axe you don't want to miss in the kemper, you can profile it before you sell the axe :D

^+1
    I have both

• Cost of AXE11 gets you Two Kempers :rolleyes: and a much better set-up, just couldn't cope
    with the fiddling, tweaking of the FX' but the KP is sonic nirvana and just blows away the
    Fractal in user friendly'ness stakes. It sits there like an old radio that my dad had
    all warm and cuddly looking ;) GO 4 IT.

• Correct and therefore it is big a mystery why the AXEII is not Euro 1700 in the EU.

Back to the OP
    Go with your axeII rig to your local hardware store which have the Kemper and do a A/B test.

• Thanks for the comments everyone. I think what I am going to do is order a Kemper and compare it to the AxeII. That would be the best way to judge in a side by side test. If the Kemper doesn't work for me I'll return it, if it does then the Axe would have to go as I couldn't afford to keep both.

I would still need to get an audio interface as well. Any recommendations?

• guitarmanjac, I also have played the Axe-fx 2 and the Kemper.
    You can get great tones out of both units so try them before you buy.
    I like the Kemper for both sound, feel, plug and play, price and the unique ability to profile.
    If you are looking for plug and play then I find the Kemper easier to use when I compare and use them.
    They have designed it to be very easy to use with the amp layout, without deep menues and lots of parameters to tweak inside.
    To answer your other question, I've seen about 15 users here who have sold their Axe fx 2 after comparing it to the Kemper. Some keep both or sell the other.

Here are some comparison reviews of the Axe Fx vs the Kemper profiling amp previously posted by users who have had experience playing both units.
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/ind...=4017&pageNo=1
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/ind...&threadID=3795
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/ind...&threadID=3673
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/ind...3079&pageNo=13
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/ind...&threadID=3099
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/ind...&threadID=3562
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/ind...&threadID=4453
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/ind...&threadID=3904

• And: Post the same questions in the AXE II Forum to get balanced input.
    Keep in mind: No Librarian, No Undo/Redo, No Perfom Mode, No Pitch Shifter, No two amps at the same time, Not the best midi assignment...at the moment

but all these cons where blown away when I tried it at home, in the studio and live!!!! SOUND, SOUND, SOUND!!!!
    And all these things above are just a matter of updates (which come out quite often)

Greetings

• I, too, am a metal player. I, too, was gassing for the AXE 2. After getting the Kemper, I didn't need to hear anything else. Problem was solved. I bought my Kemper + a cool ass guitar instead of the AXE.
    I have the Metallica/Pantera patches you are talking about. They really rawk! However, there are artist patches that you can get elsewhere that are just as good! Anthrax, Van Halen, Megadeth, ... this party is just getting started! :D

"Heavy Metal does have a message for the rest of the world: Fuck You!" -Sebastian Bach

• Hey man,
    As for an interface, it depends on how much you want to spend, and what you're looking to get out of it...
    A good interface with good A/D conversion, good mic pres, etc, will run a bit more money than a basic, plug-n-play box. The advantage of good mic pres is that, for example, plugging an acoustic directly in will sound much better. Also, a microphone will, as well. I use an RME Fireface 800 that isn't cheap, but isn't the end-all, by any means. I can, however, get a great signal when I plug directly into the unit and not have to worry about the sound being compromised by cheap components.
    If, however, you're just a hobbyist, and don't require a pristine signal, by all means save some cash and get an M-Audio interface, or something similar, that won't break the bank. Sweetwater.com has buying guides for all their gear categories- may be a good place to do some research. Good luck!

• This is my experience..I tried the old AXE I and didn't like the cleans and mild break up sounds much..that was over 1 year ago..
    I bought the Kemper earlier this year and liked those sounds and the rest immediately..but I wanted to be sure so I bought a used Axe 2 about 2 months ago..plugged it on day one and didn't plug the kemper at all... Axe sounded great to me..on the second day I played the axe again ,still found it cool but then plugged the KPA and it was.."Man this sounds and feels better"...re plugged again the Axe and clearly something was missing..I kept the Axe 1 month but nothing changed my opinion..The axe is a wonderful powerful unit..For someone who plays only metal it might be the ticket...as IMHO those sounds are on par with those in the KPA..but for everything else the KPA sounds and feel better...it's not a matter of taste,it's a fact...When you dig into the KPA it reacts to your expectations.While the axe will just stop at some point....

Hope it helps

BRUNO

• No Librarian, No Undo/Redo, No Perfom Mode, No Pitch Shifter, No two amps at the same time, Not the best midi assignment...at the moment
    [...]
    all these things above are just a matter of updates (which come out quite often)

Mhhh, while I appreciate your post for offering a more balanced view to the OP, I'm worried it might suggest that all it's missing is going to come with future updates. So this is what we currently know:

• Undo/Redo and Performance Mode are in the original design, and just need to be implemented in software;

• a librarian is an issue we've discussed a lot on this board, and it seems that Kemper are listening to this. But they have never declared till now that one is or will be under development;

• a pitch shifter, like many other fx, has been asked several times. I'm sure we're going to see more fx in the next future, but no plan has been declared from Kemper.

OTOH, there are a couple of things than are most likely not going to happen. One of them being double amp ability.
    Furthermore, I'm not sure the OP is aware of the lack of USB Audio functionalities: another thing which is not going to happen, as eng. Kemper stated.

Finally, a more articulated MIDI management would be appreciated but Eng Kemper has often expressed his will to keep th KPA as simple as possible.

HTH :)

• Thanks for the comments everyone. I think what I am going to do is order a Kemper and compare it to the AxeII. That would be the best way to judge in a side by side test. If the Kemper doesn't work for me I'll return it, if it does then the Axe would have to go as I couldn't afford to keep both.

That's the best thing you can do, compare them side by side, i've owned the Fractal Axe Fx since the first version was out in 2007, now own both the Axe FX II and the Kemper, both are very nice, as far as sounds i find the Kpa a little quicker if you want to just profile an amp, but with the Axe II, not sure if you have done much Tone Matching, I feel I get the similar sounds tone matching amps or audio clips. For me a rack is better for touring, so I'm still using the AXE II live, also i hate to say this but I still don't trust the KPA firmware enough to take it to live gigs, but it seems to be improving all the time. I plan to keep the KPA for a while and see how it improves, but if i'm forced to sell one it will be the KPA. I don't know your location but if you're anywhere near me you're welcome to come by and hear them side by side, ( just send me a PM, i'm out a lot touring but I'm sure in between we can arrange something ) I have a big PA which I use just to program sounds, so it's easier to really hear how it would sound live.

• I myself have also been on the fence for quite some time. I put myself on the waiting list for the Axe-II about 3 months ago and about 6 weeks ago they finally got back in touch with me with the $800 off coupon. I play mostly hard rock and metal as well and while I know the Axe does these rigs pretty darn well, I still don't understand why some say that the Kemper doesn't do metal and high gain sounds quite as well...? All the clips I've seen and heard with higher gain profiles sound just as good if not better than the Axe. Maybe I'm missing something? I dunno.

Anyway, the main attraction that was really drawing me in to the Axe was the Tone Matching option they added in FW v6.0. It really is amazing how well it works. I researched and found that the Kemper can, in a roundabout way through Ozone and other trickery, accomplish the same thing. I don't have access to cool amps to profile so I won't be doing that. However, I do have a nice little collection of isolated guitar tracks that I would love to "re-create" as varios rigs. There's a 9 minute video that demonstrates how to do this and I am pretty good when it comes to software and computers so I am pretty sure I can get the hang of it. It's just a bit more involved of a process than it is with the Axe.

What is pushing me towards the edge of going with the Kemper are three things: first, even though there aren't as many effects and perhaps they may not be as tweakable and pristine as the Axe, they should easily suffice for now as more will probably be introduced through updates. Second, the Axe just seems like it's incredibly complicated, so many menus, submenus, gazillion settings and that kind of thing drives me nuts. I like to have some control, but it just seems to be too much and I don't have the patience! I hope some day they come out with a software editor like Axe Edit, that would be nice. Heck even my Zoom G3 has a nice program called Zoom Edit & Share which just makes tweaking a bit easier than on the unit itself. Finally, price. Even with the $800 coupon I am looking at $2240 or thereabouts with shipping for the Axe. I challenged an online retailer to do a price match and they came back with $1549 including free shipping. That's close to $700 less than the Axe! This offer expires in a few days so I can't sit around on it too long but I have a feeling by the end of the weekend I will be ordering a KPA.

Besides the more complicated EQ matching/profiling and the lack of USB audio (which isn't a huge deal breaker) the only other worry I have is I've read quite a few reviews of people saying how buggy the KPA still is. Locks up, crashes, won't boot up, various effects turn themselves off and on for no reason, has to be re-booted because of a failed first boot and other little evil things. Good thing I am not playing gigs, it doesn't sound like the KPA is really ready to be completely trusted to get through a whole show without something going wrong. But again, hopefully future firmware updates will resolve some or all of these things.

Worst case scenario I use the heck out of it for a couple weeks and if it's just not for me I'll return it and maybe go with the Axe. I am hoping and keeping my fingers crossed I don't have to do that because it's a bit of a hassle and really want to like the KPA. I definitely cannot afford and would not want both units, so here's to hoping that the Kemper puts a smile on my face the way it seems to have done for a lot of the folks on here!

• I, too, am a metal player. I, too, was gassing for the AXE 2. After getting the Kemper, I didn't need to hear anything else. Problem was solved. I bought my Kemper + a cool ass guitar instead of the AXE.
    I have the Metallica/Pantera patches you are talking about. They really rawk! However, there are artist patches that you can get elsewhere that are just as good! Anthrax, Van Halen, Megadeth, ... this party is just getting started! :D

Thank sounds awesome! For reference where did you get the patches for other bands especially Megadeth? I am so close to trying out a Kemper. Do those Metallica and Pantera patches sund as good as in the videos or does the guitar influence the sound? ne thing I notice with my Axe is a preset will sound different through all of my guitars. I guess thats too be expected to a degree but man if I can get close to those tones I would be in tone heaven!

• Thank sounds awesome! For reference where did you get the patches for other bands especially Megadeth? I am so close to trying out a Kemper. Do those Metallica and Pantera patches sund as good as in the videos or does the guitar influence the sound? ne thing I notice with my Axe is a preset will sound different through all of my guitars. I guess thats too be expected to a degree but man if I can get close to those tones I would be in tone heaven!

The other artist presets are on our rig exchange. They were EQ-matched using Ozone 5. They are very, very good. I play along with MP3s and the tone is dead-on. You might have to make minor adjustments for your pickups though depending on the original guitar used in profiling for the artist presets. Use the Distortion sensor if your PUPs are especially hot and then use slight adjustments with EQs and you can make any guitar sound as good. More than likely, the presets are going to be great immediately! For amps profiles, your guitar is going to sound exactly as it would if you plugged that guitar into that amp.

"Heavy Metal does have a message for the rest of the world: Fuck You!" -Sebastian Bach