Work in progress - KPA TAG editor software -- EDIT : this is vaporware :)

• Things will begin moving fast as soon as this Editor is available. Hopefully, we will begin seeing better organized and documented profiles on the Rig Exchange, too!

When MIDI NRPN Documentation is delivered, another wave of Live Editors and tools will come along. It will happen days after being released.

Mr. Kemper, this where the community can help YOU! As more user-based utilities and management tools emerge, the KPA community will expand and the KPA will become much more flexible and manageable. All we need is a little documentation :)

bd

• I might be way off base here, as I don't know anything about writing code...but, here goes: It's possible that CK doesn't want to make the NRPN instructions public, at this time, because there are still a few isolated firmware/software issues and he doesn't want to introduce another variable into the support/problem solving process until the code is locked-down. I imagine that they have a pretty small support staff, and don't need to be trying to solve issues introduced by any 3rd party solutions....but, again, I don't know anything about this stuff. :S

• I might be way off base here, as I don't know anything about writing code...but, here goes: It's possible that CK doesn't want to make the NRPN instructions public, at this time, because there are still a few isolated firmware/software issues and he doesn't want to introduce another variable into the support/problem solving process until the code is locked-down. I imagine that they have a pretty small support staff, and don't need to be trying to solve issues introduced by any 3rd party solutions....but, again, I don't know anything about this stuff. :S

Unfortunately, you might be right. I would prefer that they release the document and tell us we are on our own with NRPN. I am fine with that! CK himself was the one who told us about the NRPN implementation so I suspect it will come sooner or later. With all the bitching and moaning on this forum about the missing editor/librarian and lack of access to parameters via standard MIDI CC, I hope the document comes sooner than later!

I'm itching to get started....I hope I'm not kicking a dead horse.

bd

• This is a nice development to see. Thank you guys for working on this. :thumbup:

"Tone is in the fingers" is not a necessary response to anything that I might type on any internet forum threads. Thank you.

• Hello !

A short update :

I've been working on a way to limit the size of the tags in my editor to the actual size used by the KPA.

After some research and a few protos this week-end,I came across a simple solution. I now have time to work on the 'saving', writing the edited tags on the actual .kipr file.

Then the 'importing' tests of these chimeras profiles will begin for the team of beta testers :whistling:

I'll keep you informed as soon as we have something reliable running ( I now have 2 mac users for building the program on Mac OS, I won't forget those of you who that use the infamous 1 button mouse :evil: ).

See you,

Renaud.

• Hello !

We are still working hard on the KPA editor, here is the developpement state :

We got most of the interface , I tested load & save funtion , looks ok.

The tricky part is about changing the actual tags from the rig file and writing them again( from what's typed in the inferface ).
    I had some help from a russian coder that gave us the magical formula for this purpose ( more on this on the blog ).

During the devpt , we made a few discoveries :

We have some insights about the generic file format used by the KPA ( thanks Ralf )
    some checksums may occur for some of the tags ( Rig name ... ?? ) just changing a tag doesn't mean you can import it !

This means , that we'll have to go through a longer devt time than expected ( each feature must be integrated to the whole code)

A lot of ideas came from the testers and we'll have a lots of functionnalities to add ( for instance : direct clicking on a kipr file will directly launch the editing).

Anyway, It's cool to have goodwill people from all around the world working on the subject.

thanks for the kind words.

See you,

R.

• Hello ,

I just wanted to let you know that the save function is on it's way and that we are very near to the beta.

Phil & I did optimize the code , and the 1st tests looks promising,
    we're just about importing some modified profiles on our KPA now.

I also have to check some of the midi file specs used in the kipr files to be sure we create something reliable.

Some annoying bugs are solved, so we'll soon have something fine running.

See you ,

R.

• Hello !

We are still working on our editor , don't worry !!

We are still finding a way to write our file and keep them compliant to Midi file format , we (3rd party coders ) did gather our knowledge and did approach the Kemper team that delivered us some useful info and will answer our questions, so everybody is walking in the same direction now !

We really appreciate the kemper team helping us since the task is somewhat difficult to cope with !!

See you as soon as we have any major announcement

R

edit : Thanks for supporting us :D

• A big thanks to Kemper & Co. for helping this effort. I'm sure it's a little unsettling to hand over some of your intellectual property to "outsiders"....particularly since any unforeseen results could, potentially, cause additional support headaches.

Nonetheless, you have taken the step, and I am VERY grateful! :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Hi happy profilers !

I've got sad news for our KPA editor, the tests did show that we can't import modified rigs to the KPA, our approach, based on Hex edit of the tags was'nt the right one.

So we give up with this tool.

The good news is that Laurent's Work on his version of the tag editor is working fine ( tests were ok too).

As Laurent's code uses open source , with his approval , I was able to edit his code to comply with our initial needs for a simple tag editor.

here is the new thread :

New TAG editor tool in progress