Please, someone help me understand Tone Matching from a Recording

• I have been racking my brain trying to understand how to best go about making profiles from my favorite songs/artists. I have studied the one and only video I've found about this, but it's kinda old now and isn't exactly intuitive. It seems to rush over the important info. I have all the software, plug ins etc, but now can't figure out how to put it all to use. Any help would be so greatly appreciated!

• ??

The KPA doesn't do tone matching.

Its a profiler that takes a snapshot of a real amp. To make a profile, you need the amp, put a mic in front of it and then set the KPA to profile.

No other software is needed.

• To match an artist's tone you need to generally use a profile of the amp that the artist used. It helps to have the same guitar pickup configuration too. But the amp is where you start. Then you match their stomps and effects settings, etc.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• He's looking to do a thing the KPA doesn't do. Tone matching will literally take a sample of a tone from a recording and match it. It's pretty amazing.

With that said, to the OP: are you attempting to tone match with your Kemper or just asking for general advice on this forum?

Just a guy who plays a little bit of guitar.

• He's looking to do a thing the KPA doesn't do. Tone matching will literally take a sample of a tone from a recording and match it. It's pretty amazing.

With that said, to the OP: are you attempting to tone match with your Kemper or just asking for general advice on this forum?

So what equipment does tone matching like you said?

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Actually, you can make your own EQ Tone Matched Impulse Responses, and load them into the Kemper. I went down that rabbit hole, and it's really a deep place. One thing you have to realize is that you are listening to a post mastered sound on a record, etc. For example, I made a boatload of George Lynch EQ Tone Matched IRs when I had a Atomic Amplifire. The sounds were pretty much spot on while playing with a backing track, but playing them without any backing track, the sound was very harsh, and very trebly.

Since getting the Kemper, I haven't needed to try it, because I just profiled my LynchBox and I had a great sound without any post processing.

• Yes, thank you lespauled! I am aware that Kemper doesn't do it itself, otherwise I wouldn't be having to figure out such a complicated long way around getting it done. As stated above, I'm trying to get the sound of a stem (solo track) using a DAW and Plugins such as Ozone. I've got the general idea, but a few settings and configuration type things I'm stumped on.

• So what equipment does tone matching like you said?

I've always done it through Bias Amp 2, it's pretty amazing to load in a track and have it give you an extremely close tone for that track seconds later! I would much rather have these tones in the Kemper though, so I guess I'm willing to go through all the extra trouble of doing it manually then loading it into the Kemper, I just have to figure out how exactly to go about doing that.

• Here's a video that I found that goes through the steps to creating a tone matched IR.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I did some tone matched profiles ages ago. Basically your signal chain needs to go like this.

Record a DI of the song you want to match first. In Ozone create a match eq curve of the song (preferably isolated guitar part of course) and your amp-cab-mic setup.

Enable the match eq in DAW in Ozone.

Then Kemper profiling out to amp-cab-mic-DAW-Ozone eq-DAW out-Kemper.