Question about Air Chorus.

• I recall when we were all DYING to have a SPX 90. At the time (lower budget)people were still using (although great) Effectrons and ADA stuff. The SPX90 was where I learned to use the pitch shifter and helped me understand how a chorus works. Instead of using chorus preset, a tech buddy of mine told me to use the pitch shift +3 & -3 cents and get a "detuned" sound.

I'm going to have to look, I can't remember if the Kemper has a detune effect, or if the micro chorus is it.

Micro pitch does essentially what the SPX90 did, just like the Soundtoys Pitch Blender plugin. I think the Pitch Change C preset was +8 & -8 if I remember correctly. I'm not sure the Micro Pitch can control delay though.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• I has a vintage CE-2 (Japan) it sounded great but to me was more of the "flangey" type of chorus (like the CE-1). CE3 was a little different if I recall and really nice. IMO what's overlooked is a chorus like the old MXR analogs. Or maybe it isn't I just need to tune the right one in. Soon as I figure out which one is the right one. I wish rig manager had a rig exchange for FX presets.

The Vintage Chorus type covers the sound character of all bucket brigade choruses since the CE-1. This is especially true when used before the amp.

When you use it after the amp to create a stereo sound, it will play two choruses at the same time, one on each side.

This is not exactly what the original bucked brigade choruses did. They played the direct signal on one stereo side, while playing the modulated effect signal on the other stereo side.

We do not support this mode, especially because bucked brigade choruses have a very limited frequency response on the effect signal of only 4 kHz.

We assume that you don't want to present your audience on the right PA side your guitar signal that only goes to 4 kHz.

This is why we created the Air Chorus, with both sides modulating, and no frequency response limit. A chorus with fairness, that couldn't be made in the 70's :)

You can try out: The Air Chorus sounds very similar to the Micro Pitch. But not equal due to the modulation.

How does the Air Chorus behave in mono? It depends, if you make a mono mix, or only tap one stereo side.

The former will create a chorus effect much stronger, the ladder will be about unnoticable.

You can try easily at home at your monitor speakers without touching a cable:

Go to "Output Source" in the Output Menu and change "Main Output" from "Master Stereo" to "Master Mono" and "Master Left".

CK

• I don't understand: Micro Pitch mix knob function in mono

Mix

Use this to blend the direct signal with the detuned signals. Set it to middle position for the lushest sound. With “Mix” turned all the way to the left, you will only hear the detuned signals on the left and right; this creates a “special” chorus, similar in sound to the Air Chorus.

So what is the result when the knob goes all the way to the right? I thought it would be only dry signal only but it's not.

I am speaking of using this as a mono stomp "A" with master mono out 1 side only. I can make it sound good but would like to know what is happening.

Edited once, last by Dynochrome: After testing ().

• I think mix all the way to the right is 1:1. Anything less than this reduces the amount of detuned signal and lessens the effect. Maximum effect is with both signals at equal volume increasing or decreasing the amount of detuned signal reduces the chorus effect and either gives you a less pronounced chorus or a more out of tune guitar.

• I think mix all the way to the right is 1:1. Anything less than this reduces the amount of detuned signal and lessens the effect. Maximum effect is with both signals at equal volume increasing or decreasing the amount of detuned signal reduces the chorus effect and either gives you a less pronounced chorus or a more out of tune guitar.

If all the way to the right is full on, why does the manual read "Set it to middle position for the lushest sound"? Try it, 12:00 seem to be most pronounced. Going to either side of that lessens the perceived effect.

• Duh…….. I’m a muppet ?‍♂️

It even says it in the quote you first posted : the middle position is 1:1 for the “lushest sound”.

I would be interested to know the real answer too ?

Actually neither of us know that middle is 1:1... Just that the manual claimed that was the "lushest sound" Now one would presume that would be 1:1, but without knowing what the mix knob really does we're guessing. I'm sure someone will tell us as this should be an easy one. My first guess was in a stereo mix it would exchange left to right but since it read "With “Mix” turned all the way to the left, you will only hear the detuned signals on the left and right", And middle seems to be the most pronounced, leaves full right a mystery.