Question about Air Chorus.

• Air Chorus:

The Air Chorus is a subtle kind of chorus, as it does not mix the direct sound with the processed signal; instead, it modulates the pitch of the left and right sides of the signal independently from each other. The resulting chorus sound happens in the air between the speakers, where both signals are added together - hence the name. This is how the famous Jazz ChorusTM amplifier works.

I was having fun with this recording in stereo, but wondered will this work with a mono feed out like I use live?

Since it read "The resulting chorus sound happens in the air between the speakers" and I use only one mono monitor speaker there isn't "speakers" producing sound.

Or would I be better off using hyper chorus or micro chorus to reproduce a MXR M-134 stereo chorus? I've been trying to find out the number of stages it has to help decide which chorus (vintage,air,micro, hyper) to use to reproduce it best.

• If you´re not going stereo out to FOH there will be nothing happening "between speakers", obviously .....

And not so much in mono monitor either .......

Micro pitch is the way to go if you want subtle chorus ...... In other words : not like the 80´s 8o

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• I like the Air Chorus Tone but I do not like the way it wobbles from left to right channel. I'm happy just using the Vintage chorus at low settings.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I am not a huge RR fan but for some reason went on a binge trying to replicate his chorus sound. I know it's a MXR Stereo chorus with ( I believe) a inverted phase voice delayed, a dry and a non inverted channel delayed. So I'm guessing a simple chorus like a CE-1 but so far I have got closer with the micro chorus. I'm sure there are many people that have tried this WAY before me. I even contacted Dunlop and they said it was "top secret" and couldn't reveal anything about the voices lol. That's like selling cars but not revealing how many cylinders the engine has. "Sorry sir, it's "top secret"

What a hilarious excuse to not answer a question.

• Actually I was trying to replicate a (mostly 80's ) MXR Stereo chorus!

How about trying a Vintage chorus in X w 180* stereo and placing a Air chorus in the stomps? Maybe get a little bit of desired phasing.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• How about trying a Vintage chorus in X w 180* stereo and placing a Air chorus in the stomps? Maybe get a little bit of desired phasing.

Too much hassle. I'm trying to recreate something that was done in the 70's with a simple pedal. It shouldn't take 2 effects to get there...

• Put the Air Chorus in Stomp D and test it. That will let you know how it works in mono. I know you ultimately would want to run it after the stack but this would serve as a simple test of how the effect translates to mono.

That's right, I forgot that! I was trying it out in A and liked it there (with stereo out) so I assume it would work with mono monitor/single line out as well. I had thought that it would become "summed" and still usable mono but wondered if it defeated the purpose of using an "air" chorus that wasn't mixed in the air.

I played guitar through the 80s when everybody was using chorus to make your guitar "like two guitars" and had those little lunchbox Gallien-Krueger amps with the chorus on them. (remember those?)I could walk into a club and instantly tell if the guitarist was using one and I grew to despise chorus used on distorted guitar sounds.

Now I'm having fun using chorus to recreate some of the tones from that era. So far, I'm having the best luck with micro chorus. The air chorus was good even in mono but as a tiny bit "flangey" when palm muting. The hyper chorus seemed too swirly even at low levels and the one I thought might get me the closest; "vintage chorus" because of minimal voices didn't seem to be a match for replicating the MXR.

• Micro pitch doesn't get nearly enough credit. I use it with the mix very low (40% is a *lot* for me).

It gives the tone a bit of what I'll call luster. Shine is the wrong word, as that implies brightness. To my ear, the micro pitch provides just a touch of depth, without overly defining the sound. Like sprinkles on a cupcake....you can certainly do without it, but sometimes it's just better with. :)

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Really wish they would add just a simple boss ce-3 or ce-2. Feel like the chorus effect has been somewhat neglected.

I has a vintage CE-2 (Japan) it sounded great but to me was more of the "flangey" type of chorus (like the CE-1). CE3 was a little different if I recall and really nice. IMO what's overlooked is a chorus like the old MXR analogs. Or maybe it isn't I just need to tune the right one in. Soon as I figure out which one is the right one. I wish rig manager had a rig exchange for FX presets.

• Micro pitch doesn't get nearly enough credit. I use it with the mix very low (40% is a *lot* for me).

It gives the tone a bit of what I'll call luster. Shine is the wrong word, as that implies brightness. To my ear, the micro pitch provides just a touch of depth, without overly defining the sound. Like sprinkles on a cupcake....you can certainly do without it, but sometimes it's just better with. :)

I was wondering if you understood the way the mix control works. The way I understand it, At 40% you would be getting more de tuned signals (so actually more detuned effect in the mix) and cranked all the way up would be getting just the dry sound.It doesn't say anything about a full to the right setting so being a direct mix control, I'm guessing the knob fully to the right would be all direct if all to the left was all detuned signal only. At 12:00 it would mix the delayed sound with the direct evenly and thus produce the most noticeable effect. What MS setting do you like?

From the manual:

Mix

Use this to blend the direct signal with the detuned signals. Set it to middle position for the lushest sound. With “Mix” turned all the way to the left, you will only hear the detuned signals on the left and right; this creates a “special” chorus, similar in sound to the Air Chorus.

• If you´re not going stereo out to FOH there will be nothing happening "between speakers", obviously .....

And not so much in mono monitor either .......

Micro pitch is the way to go if you want subtle chorus ...... In other words : not like the 80´s 8o

Cheers !

I'd like to understand how Air chorus still works in mono. It must be a simulation? Because I would think it would not work in mono if it actually mixed the sound "in the air"/"between the speakers" but it does. Summed?

• I was wondering if you understood the way the mix control works. The way I understand it, At 40% you would be getting more de tuned signals (so actually more detuned effect in the mix) and cranked all the way up would be getting just the dry sound.It doesn't say anything about a full to the right setting so being a direct mix control, I'm guessing the knob fully to the right would be all direct if all to the left was all detuned signal only. At 12:00 it would mix the delayed sound with the direct evenly and thus produce the most noticeable effect. What MS setting do you like?

From the manual:

Mix

Use this to blend the direct signal with the detuned signals. Set it to middle position for the lushest sound. With “Mix” turned all the way to the left, you will only hear the detuned signals on the left and right; this creates a “special” chorus, similar in sound to the Air Chorus.

It's been a long time since I read the manual on this. All I know for sure right now is that at 15%, in mono.....it does what I want. :)

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I believe at 15% in mono the Micro pitch is pretty much an "Air Chorus" at that point as mostly only the detuned signal is present. 40% would be a lot considering 50 percent would be "max" and go down from there as you introduce more direct signal.

I was using 1ms to keep it less pronounced. Where do you like the delay?

• Micro pitch is the way to go if you want subtle chorus ...... In other words : not like the 80´s 8o

Cheers !

Micro pitch is a great effect, but strangely enough I always associate it with the SPX90 from the 80s! You can match Pitch Change C really well.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Yeah ... But what I meant was that the 80´s is´nt exactly known for subtle chorus :/

Just one example : Mike Stern 8o

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• Micro pitch is a great effect, but strangely enough I always associate it with the SPX90 from the 80s! You can match Pitch Change C really well.

I recall when we were all DYING to have a SPX 90. At the time (lower budget)people were still using (although great) Effectrons and ADA stuff. The SPX90 was where I learned to use the pitch shifter and helped me understand how a chorus works. Instead of using chorus preset, a tech buddy of mine told me to use the pitch shift +3 & -3 cents and get a "detuned" sound.

I'm going to have to look, I can't remember if the Kemper has a detune effect, or if the micro chorus is it.

• Micro pitch shift is not a chorus. It’s static and does not move/modulate.
    Chorus has a sound modulating above and below alongside the original pitch.

Both great but both different things.