Does anyone write New Age type music anymore?

• In my developer life I'm currently working on a New Age related website, and I got to thinking about music. My memories of this genre are more keyboard driven than guitar, and what guitar I do recall was mostly acoustic.

Current demographics suggest that this sort of interest skews heavily female, while guitar tends to be overwhelmingly male. Also, I think the hippies of old have been relegated to history and shoved off into a quiet corner by the science-y crowd.

I get to talk to a wide spectrum of musicians here, so I was just curious of this genre is still a thing and if so, do people write on electric guitar or is it just a keyboard oriented style?

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Keyboards = girls you marry.

Guitar = girls you want!

I honestly believe people don't know what music they want right now. It may be something they never heard of yet. But I do believe people like to reminisce so maybe try some Gary Wright stuff and throw some pitch shifter stuff in and see what happens?? ;)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Yeah, I remember him. He was more radio rock / ballad than New Age-y. But the girls loved him.

I have some stuff in my CD collection from back in my married days, but it's either all keyboard / synth instrumental or things like Celtic female vocals (or even the occasional bagpipe). Pretty much zero in terms of electric guitar compositions. It isn't the sort of thing I'd write when I have a guitar in my lap, I suspect it doesn't exist.

Not really something I have a need for but since my head was in a New Age-y kind of project I was just pondering what's out there these days. Somebody doing a Baby Metal version of Black Pink covering Yanni is probably more 21st century.

• When I think of new age I think of all the Gary's out there like Gary Numan, Gary Wilson, Gary Wright. LOL. I guess the synths shined in music because they were new to the listener back then. Create your own new-new wave music. It might lead to something worthwhile.

• When I think of new age I think of all the Gary's out there like Gary Numan, Gary Wilson, Gary Wright. LOL. I guess the synths shined in music because they were new to the listener back then. Create your own new-new wave music. It might lead to something worthwhile.

Gary Larson? :)

• I am a huge Mike Oldfield fan and have been since 1973. His cd's always showed up on the store shelves in the "New age" category.

He's a world class guitar player who uses kbds extensively. So for me he straddles the boundary between keys and strings.

There's a fair share of "Celtic female" vocals and synths, but it's his guitar work that continues to inspire me.

(BTW, I'm an old hippie from the 60's haha!)

• I remember Michael Hedges was doing cool music on guitar. He was willing to share his approach and tuning after performances.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I remember Michael Hedges was doing cool music on guitar. He was willing to share his approach and tuning after performances.

External Content soundcloud.com

That's the name I was trying to remember. I knew there was an acoustic guy with a signature sound but couldn't recall who he was.

There used to be a big music store chain called Mars Music, where as one might expect I frequently spent way too much money. The sales rep who helped me was a good guy named Todd Haygood. One day he handed me a CD of his, instrumental acoustic clearly influenced by Michael Hedges, and it was very nicely done. I just checked and was surprised to find it on Amazon since this was back in the 90s.

Todd Haygood - Reaching In

(BTW, I'm an old hippie from the 60's haha!)

I'm just an old hippie from the 70s, so they still make me sit at the folding card table during the holidays. :)

I remember Mike Oldfield mainly from the radio hit Tubular Bells, so it never occurred to me to think of him as a guitarist.

• External Content soundcloud.com

• I remember Mike Oldfield mainly from the radio hit Tubular Bells, so it never occurred to me to think of him as a guitarist.

He's done 26 albums including another two versions of Tubular bells and one specifically called "Guitars"

I have all but the last two and most of them include lots of great guitar playing and are very, very good.

they still make me sit at the folding card table during the holidays.

LOL, I have no idea what that means :?:^^

• He's done 26 albums including another two versions of Tubular bells and one specifically called "Guitars"

I have all but the last two and most of them include lots of great guitar playing and are very, very good.

LOL, I have no idea what that means :?:^^

When families get together for the holidays, there are only so many chairs to go around at the "real" dining room table. So, the grown ups get to sit at the nice table, and the kids get stuck sitting at cheap folding tables, couches, or just leaning against the wall and balancing the plate on their knees.

Being a grown up has its privileges. :)

• When families get together for the holidays, there are only so many chairs to go around at the "real" dining room table. So, the grown ups get to sit at the nice table, and the kids get stuck sitting at cheap folding tables, couches, or just leaning against the wall and balancing the plate on their knees.

Being a grown up has its privileges. :)

I wish I could go back to sitting at the cheap folding table. ;)

• When families get together for the holidays, there are only so many chairs to go around at the "real" dining room table. So, the grown ups get to sit at the nice table, and the kids get stuck sitting at cheap folding tables,

Ah, I get it now...you actually had more than one table haha!

• Give these bands a listen... lots of ambient guitars:

All The Bright Lights

The Eschalon Effect

April Rain - Leave Me No Light

Elskavon

Kemper Stage Profiler - Kemper Powered Kabinet - Mission Expression Pedal - PRS CU22 - Strats out the wazoo 8)

• I guess it moved towards the Ambient genre and split up into stuff like Drone, Dark Ambient, Downtempo, Ambient House/Techno, Chillout...

That sounds about right. I think it moved more to a context of instrumental music without the baggage of spirituality that New Age implied.

Spot checked those and now all I want to do is sit down and play with the all the effects from the Kemper Reverb release that I never really explored in depth!

• I worked on other artists records with this guy. He plays any style likes it's his own.

External Content www.youtube.com