Kemper through a real cab issues

• the difference is that the monitor cab off function only deactivates the cab for the monitor output. It will still be active for the other outputs so you can send the signal including the cab sim to the FOH.

so for the sake of argument….you’re saying that if I turn off the cab sim for the mains, the tone will be exactly the same regardless of what output I send to the actual cabinet?

• Do you have the Kemper Kone turned on? Since you're not using a Kemper Kone, that could be changing the sound from the monitor output in unexpected ways. That option is only intended to make the Kemper Kone cabinet sound like the specified imprint.

Also keep in mind that the FOH is getting it's cab that would be a mic'd cabinet sound. And it depends on what type of cabinet is set up in the rig. It could (and probably should) sound very different from the real cabinet you are monitoring with.

• In default state MONITOR OUTPUT and MAIN OUTPUT feed the same signal - there should be no sound difference. You can press Init Globals in System Settings to reset global settings to their default state.

With your guitar cabinet, you should feed your external power amp from the MONITOR OUTPUT and activate Monitor Cab Off.

If you still have sound issues with these settings (default state plus Monitor Cab Off activated) and across all Rigs, you might want to test another amp/cabinet combination just as a reference. Your power amp is a tube amp, which is coloring the tone. However, the tube power amp sound coloring is already included in the amp simulation. The Eminence EM12 is advertised as "A high power 12 inch guitar speaker featuring ultra-clean tone with big, round, punchy lows and warm, smooth mids and highs. A more neutral tone so you can hear more of your amp and guitar.". Perhaps this is the origin of your "digital and shrill" tone.

• Do you have the Kemper Kone turned on? Since you're not using a Kemper Kone, that could be changing the sound from the monitor output in unexpected ways. That option is only intended to make the Kemper Kone cabinet sound like the specified imprint.

Also keep in mind that the FOH is getting it's cab that would be a mic'd cabinet sound. And it depends on what type of cabinet is set up in the rig. It could (and probably should) sound very different from the real cabinet you are monitoring with.

you know….I think you’re right. I believe I remember the Kone section being on. Since it was on by default, I wasn’t sure if it was supposed to be on or not. So I left it as-is. I’ll need to go recheck that.
    I also understand that the 2 outputs won’t be 100% identical, but I was hoping that once I dial in a tone that I like, it would be easily transferred to the other output without having to make big changes to make it sound good. IOW, I didn’t want to have to tweak the profile twice.

• In default state MONITOR OUTPUT and MAIN OUTPUT feed the same signal - there should be no sound difference. You can press Init Globals in System Settings to reset global settings to their default state.

With your guitar cabinet, you should feed your external power amp from the MONITOR OUTPUT and activate Monitor Cab Off.

If you still have sound issues with these settings (default state plus Monitor Cab Off activated) and across all Rigs, you might want to test another amp/cabinet combination just as a reference. Your power amp is a tube amp, which is coloring the tone. However, the tube power amp sound coloring is already included in the amp simulation. The Eminence EM12 is advertised as "A high power 12 inch guitar speaker featuring ultra-clean tone with big, round, punchy lows and warm, smooth mids and highs. A more neutral tone so you can hear more of your amp and guitar.". Perhaps this is the origin of your "digital and shrill" tone.

I’ll recheck the settings you mentioned.
    I will say that through the mains out, and now with the mon cab turned off, it isn’t all that shrill anymore. So I think the issue was the mon cab being on.
    I am still hearing quite a bit of tonal difference between the two outputs.
    Im still learning how to navigate the unit. Lol

• From my experience, having monitor cab on and going into a speaker makes it dull, not shrill. Odd.

I’m having a hard time describing it actually. It’s def not dull and is kind of like when you’re plugged into your DAW with the cab sim off. But even that description is over-describing it. But you know how it feels/sounds when plugged in like that….buzzy and brittle? sort of like that. It lacks any of the smoothness and character it is supposed to have.

sorry, it’s tough to describe.

• I’m having a hard time describing it actually. It’s def not dull and is kind of like when you’re plugged into your DAW with the cab sim off. But even that description is over-describing it. But you know how it feels/sounds when plugged in like that….buzzy and brittle? sort of like that. It lacks any of the smoothness and character it is supposed to have.

sorry, it’s tough to describe.

Id expect the combination of an unchecked “monitor cab off”, and a checked “Kone” to give results you describe. That triggers the kpa to setting that gets Kone speaker into fullrange mode....but you don’t have one connected.

A regular cab hooked to your monitoring output...requires “monitor cab off” checked, Kone unchecked.
    In many cases a poweramp adds high that need compensation from the global EQ...don’t be afraid to dial it ;)

• I am still hearing quite a bit of tonal difference between the two outputs.

that's not surprising at all.

MAIN OUTS (with CABINET simulation on) -> power amp -> guitar speaker

MONITOR OUT (no CABINET simulation) -> power amp - guitar speaker

in the MAIN OUTS scenario, you are running a speaker simulation into a real speaker

make sure you position the cabinet as you normally would. guitar speakers sound very harsh in the 'beam' and lose a lot of high end if you move off-axis. Most 1x12 Speakers aim at your knees, really.

but you are effectively comparing whatever speaker was profiled against what you use in your cabinet (IF you are running MAIN OUTS over PA speakers and MONITOR OUT over your cab) so there always will be quite distinct differences. The influence a speaker makes is huge.

hth

• Id expect the combination of an unchecked “monitor cab off”, and a checked “Kone” to give results you describe. That triggers the kpa to setting that gets Kone speaker into fullrange mode....but you don’t have one connected.

A regular cab hooked to your monitoring output...requires “monitor cab off” checked, Kone unchecked.
    In many cases a poweramp adds high that need compensation from the global EQ...don’t be afraid to dial it ;)

yup…that’s my next step tonight when I get home from work. I’ll shut down the Kone functionality and see what that gives me. What you’re saying about it basically being in Full Range mode makes perfect sense.

• I’m making a lot of progress with this. Thanks to all that helped.
    I’ve ordered a Weber beam blocker, which I have installed in another cabinet and really helps.

More….

In the output section, are all of those settings global? IOW, I should use those settings to shape the overall tone that comes out of the cabinet. And the individual profiles should still be tweaked from the amplifier section?