Looking for a Kemper Kabinet (powered or non) VS Line 6 Powercab Plus A/B Comparison

• I can't seem to find anything on this, you would think ToneJunkie would have done a side by side with these two models by now.

Does anyone have both that can provide a side by side review of the differences in sound paired with a Kemper profiler only?

Please and thank you!

• Link? I don't see anything with these two on his channel... I just received the Line 6 Powercab, sounds pretty good, but that fomo is really creeping up on me lol

• OK, I’m coming from L6 world....

I had a variax, a Helix LT and bought a PC+( sold everything).

I think the PC+ is the perfect device to complete the L6 rig but i’m not persuaded that the PC+ is done for anything else than that, not only due to the sound, i explain ;

It’s done to bring the « amp in the room » feeling and it’s really an improvement/different from a simple FRFR system.

It contains some cab models with a non-miced simulation (what we are looking for in this case).

With the Helix, you just have to disable the cab in the Helix chain and send this to the PC+. At the beginning, i had to change the cab model per preset with midi message, that function has changed with a new firmware and i could do it by L6 link.

All i wanna say is that, IMHO, and it was the way i used it, the PC+ is really done to play with the amp in the room cabs.

If you want/do so, this device is really designed to work in L6 ecosystem. It’s an evidence but if you play a marshall, you want a green cab, a jensen for a Fender, etc.... With the Helix, you just have to program the output section to choose this. With the Kemper, you have to program all the midi message per performance/Rig...It seems more complicated.

For the sound, i’m not sure that disable (or split) a profiler cab section in the kemper will be recovered by the PC+ cab section.

It’s not even a question of price ; i’ve bought a Harley benton cab, A kone and a TC BAM 200 to have a Power Kabinet cheaper than the L6 PC+....

In my opinion, it’s better to combined all the devices of a trade mark to work all together as they have been designed for.

It will be easier and the sound will be able to be better.

• Thank you for this technical and detailed response... Here is what I have tried, I have run the Kemper into it in FRFR mode with the line signal boosted, this made a very big improvement to the overall sound, I have also tried the built in cabs in the PC+ and just turned off the cabinet in my rig using the front button on the toaster, is this not the correct way to do this? This sounded okay, but not amazing, further testing is needed...

I agree brand pairing would be ideal. I got a great deal on the PC+ and think it does sound good with Kemper, just very curious of an AB test directly against the Kemper power Cabinet and what that may reveal. So from your experience with the equipment you have, you could hear a noticeable difference and a closer match to the kempers original sound profile on the Kone setup?

Thanks again.

• On the KPA, in the output menu "Monitor Cab Off" means the monitor output will not have a cab sim in the signal. Use this going into a regular guitar cab or with the PC+ using one of its emulations.

With monitor cab enabled, you want the PC+ to operate in whatever they call FRFR mode. The KPA will send the cab sim and now the PC+ functions like any other FRFR.

Monitor Cab off into a Kone is glorious.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• On the KPA, in the output menu "Monitor Cab Off" means the monitor output will not have a cab sim in the signal. Use this going into a regular guitar cab or with the PC+ using one of its emulations.

With monitor cab enabled, you want the PC+ to operate in whatever they call FRFR mode. The KPA will send the cab sim and now the PC+ functions like any other FRFR.

Monitor Cab off into a Kone is glorious.

Awesome, sounds like I am doing this correctly, thank you!... so it comes down to the million dollar question... has anyone done an A/B comparison between power cab+ and Kemper offerings, even better recorded this test? Does anyone have both and can offer some detailed comparisons in sound?

• Awesome, sounds like I am doing this correctly, thank you!... so it comes down to the million dollar question... has anyone done an A/B comparison between power cab+ and Kemper offerings, even better recorded this test? Does anyone have both and can offer some detailed comparisons in sound?

With the Kone/ emulations, you're never going to get a good recorded sound.

The Kone, by it's unique design won't record well....and it defeats the purpose of amp-in-the-room. You're adding a mic to a sound meant to avoid it. Only comparison would be FRFR mode, which negates the point of the Kone.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• With the Kone/ emulations, you're never going to get a good recorded sound.

The Kone, by it's unique design won't record well....and it defeats the purpose of amp-in-the-room. You're adding a mic to a sound meant to avoid it. Only comparison would be FRFR mode, which negates the point of the Kone.

Good point, I suppose I just mean, an in the room a/b recording for any glaring in the room differences, like one is noticeably thinner than the other etc... Tone junkie did a great frfr shootout, with in the moment opinions that helped clear up some mystery between the offered models, Kemper was not included as they had yet to release the Powered model.

• a room mic comparison won’t have problems with the kone. If it would then so would your ears…

It is a typical close mic method that it has trouble with. Of course a room mic recording isn’t usually a preferred sound so that has to be considered but at least both devices will be equally represented.

• First of all, DO NOT choose your devices with vids listennings.

I've bought the Kemper Stage because i was always tweaking with Helix to try to improve the sound. I've read a lot of poeple love the Kemper feeling more than other "modelers".

I've listened to Utube vids and tried to ear the difference in some comparisons vids (Helix vs Kemper) and it was really hard to tell why i've spent 750€ more. For a while (during the deliver time), i was afraid of having bought a new pedal for nothing <X:/X/.... When the stage arrived, and tried it, it was immediatly night and day (for me) !

Helix can do lot of things that the Stage can't but these are things i don't necesseraly need...

All that to say that you're a musician not an audience. There's an interaction between us, the instrument, the speaker. Without trying it yourself, you are not able to judge. Every body, every needs are different....

To go on this thread, i would recommand to go with the Kone cause it's easier if you want this versatility for the amp in the room with your Kemper.

You can keep the PC+ but it means if you are at home ; you change your RIG, you have to select the good cab simulation and so on.

If you are at gig, you have to program all the midi commands.

You can eventually stay FRFR on the PC+ but, for me, a "true" FRFR is better than it and i find it a waste of money.

• I just had the Kemper Kone a few days now.

Powered version with the stage.

It is the final piece of the puzzle. It sounds just like a guitar amp. Perfect for live monitoring. Studio monitors plugged in too so you can still tweak what FOH will receive. Truly the best of both worlds

Does anyone know if you can you run both sets of mains out or the xlrs and the 1/4inch mains at the same time??

I was contemplating running the Kabinet and a FRFR as backline live??

• thank you kingjb99. THAT is the answer i am looking for as I sit in Thailand with my hand on the order button for the One and the other on a phone to call someone with use use power cab over to see it to me for $400. Of course the cheap way out is the Line 6 PC. From everything I have read it seems to work BUT, I went a long way down eh R$bbit hole to get a Kemper. I think (and I am sure Kemper knows) I am going to keep going to get the One-especially with worldwide free delivery.