Fuzz pedals not working with Kemper?

• I recently came across this video. At the 1:53 minute mark, they say that, "If you plug a fuzz pedal into the Kemper and use it as a pedal platform, it doesn't work."

Here's the link:

Tone Junkie video

I was interested: Why is that? And do you all agree?

I am waiting for a shipment of a new fuzz pedal and this annoys me a bit since I don't have a real tube amp here to compare the pedal's action to. So I'll never know if it works correctly or not.

What I know is that my real Big Muff works differently from the Kemper Muff. I can dial them in to sound almost the same but only with lots of tweaking. The real Big Muff suggests other sounds than the Kemper effect, if that makes sense. It also reacts differently, sounds more organic, albeit it's almost too much to bear.

What are your thoughts on this issue? Is it generally not worth using real pedals with the Kemper or does this problem only exist with fuzz pedals?

• maybe for this reason? dunno though.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The comment that fuzz into a Kemper 'doesn't work' is incredibly vague to me. I'm sure people do it all the time....but what an incredible waste using a KPA as pedal platform.

If you place it before the input, the fuzz should react as expected. The circuit is very particular about what's in front of it. Behind, it could care less. Placed in the effects loop, then no. It won't behave the same way.

That said, I've used a JHS Muffletta in the effects loop and absolutely loved the results. Keep in mind - the Muff is very different from a traditional fuzz and isn't (quite) as fussy about what goes in front of it.

But I question what is meant by fuzz 'doesn't work'.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• maybe for this reason? dunno though.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I was thinking about that. But that would just mean you can't roll the volume back. Their statement sounded a bit bigger.

I love it when people throw out statements like the one in the video thinking it's self-explanatory...

• I use an Analogman Sunface into my Kemper and it cleans up beautifully giving glassy cleans just as it does with my tube amps, and like with tube amps, best to have a profile on the verge of/at breakup.

• Maybe Stu is talking about profiling amp + fuzz pedals doesn't work ("trying to put fuzz into a Kemper, using it as a pedal platform - doesn't work").

"Using it as a pedal platform" he means using a profile including a profiled fuzz is not working, so they are using the built in fuzz.

It is known you don't get good results usually profiling fuzz pedals.

• Maybe Stu is talking about profiling amp + fuzz pedals doesn't work ("trying to put fuzz into a Kemper, using it as a pedal platform - doesn't work").

"Using it as a pedal platform" he means using a profile including a profiled fuzz is not working, so they are using the built in fuzz.

It is known you don't get good results usually profiling fuzz pedals.

Good theory!

• The only time I roll the guitar volume down is when my wife walks in. Maybe I need to ask her in my studio more often and Fuzz her out with some Germanium. :P

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Update: I received my Boss TB-2W pedal now and can confirm my Kemper never sounded better. Cannot compare it with a real valve amp pushed at the moment, but if that's the sound of "Fuzz doesn't work" I'm okay with whatever is broken.

• Kaschko

Congrats on the tone. What profiles would you recommend to achieve this sound? I am playing with a Fuzz I built with Silicone. I am getting some decent sounds but my real amps are more on the high gain side.

Thanks

Brian

• TheSystem Hi! It really is a matter of taste, of course. But in general, I prefer profiles that are open sounding and allow good dynamics with my guitar's volume knobs. Not all of them do that, not even those of some more famous profilers. Picking profiles I'd also go with amps that traditionally work well with pedals. I tried out Fender Deluxe Reverbs, Fender Bassmans and Pro Reverbs as well as Marshall 50w Plexis and Marshall Bluesbreakers. They all work well but each one tells a different story.

If you go to the rig exchange, search for the profiles from Martin Suijs. He has a 71 Plexi and a Deluxe Reverb that both work really well with pedals (and are generally amazing profiles, better than most you can buy, really). I'd pick a profile that has around 2.5 or 3 gain and then lower the gain to 2. (Generally it works better to lower gain on profiles than raising it). There's some sort of sweet spot around 2 to use profiles with fuzzes - but that of course depends on your guitar. I play a Gibson with P90s.

If the profile is slightly breaking up, it's usually pretty good for Fuzz. Your Silicone fuzz, like my Tone Bender, should clean up very nicely. I usually pick a profile where I like the sound of my guitar without effects around 9-10 on the volume knob, but usually, I then lower the volume on my guitar some steps to use my fuzz in its sweet spot. It's always great if there's some room up and down on the volume knob.

Hope that helps.

• This helps immensely. I have tried some Fender and Marshall profiles. I will try the ones you noted from RE.

I have been using a late 80s Strat Ultra Plus and an early 90s Tele Plus. Both have Lace Sensor which may be an issue. I have also a 90s MIM Tele with stock PuPs that I will try when I string it up. We are moving and I packed up my strings. Ooops! So I am awaiting for some to arrive.

I also tried my late 80s RG-770. The real amps I tried (most are packed now) are an early 80s JCM 4210 Combo. I can get a great edge of breakup sound on it. Peavey VTM60. It might boil down the the PuPs. Oh I tried my 85 MIJ Fernandes too.

I gotta say that the fuzz I built on a Carvin Legacy profile I got from RE and my Ibanez sound amazing together.

Thanks for the help

Brian

• Holy Moly.

I downloaded these profiles a couple of years ago but we moved right afterwards. I just completed an Aion Solaris (FF type circuit with some extras.)

I was a newb to fuzz when I commented then but since learning more and building the Solaris, I am embarrassed to say what I called a Fuzz then was not one at all. It is a Big Muff clone I built. Although I love it and it sounds great, I came to learn that to get the tone I was after, the Big Muff wouldn't do it. I needed a FF or maybe a VTB 1 or 1.5,

Well I just paired my Solaris with Marshall 71 SL V3 (LQP) Martin Sujis. It started as Marshall 71 SL V3 but then I liquified it the best I could.

Man oh man I love it.

Brian