Boosting leads

• Hi Guys, what do you prefer to boost leads and make them cut through the mix better ?

For now I only merge more drive, activate lead boost pre block and riase the volume ...

I guess its better to increase the mids with Eq'ing ...

Would you also temper the lows ?

thx

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• That's it : more gain , or lead booster , a touch of tweak on the definition . I also add a specific verb & delay for the leads different from the rhythm ones

I often use a real pedal in front , fuzz and boost , you can do the same with the fuzz or drive engine now, but I like my pedal very much ( nitrogen 21 ).

I also use a specific guitar for my leads, mostly a screaming P90 semi hollow that will cut any mix

On the Daw ; cut the basses , enhance the highs , set the mids right

• I watched this interesting YT clip on the topic and was impressed how much better EQ'ing is compared to just higher volumes. Apparently our brain already thinks as mids being louder although it's not (so the frequencies that we hear the most)

check this : How to Make Your Guitar Solos CUT Using EQ! | GEAR GODS

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• also try the "Cut the Mix" EQ preset (post STACK) ;)

Yep know about that one ... i'll try that as well, is that intended pure for leads or overall sound ?

Raf

• Yep know about that one ... i'll try that as well, is that intended pure for leads or overall sound ?

Raf

Ohh I don't....I'll try that!

live I use a different slot for lead. Previously it was even a different profile, but now I'm tending to use the same profile with a bit more gain, volume, treble and delay...

• I just put a lead booster pre stack but maybe the post "cut the mix" EQ slot will get a better result !

Will try this evening but the real test is at rehearsal thru the 2x12 Zilla Cab !

Raf

• Outside of a mix, the lead booster sounds as if it changes things too much. As part of a mix, not so much.

The problem I've encountered with the Pure Booster for leads is a full-range loudness increase doesn't 'poke through' as well as the more targeted Lead boost. Just 'cause it's louder doesn't mean you'll hear it *well*. Seems that's not how our ears work. :)

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I am glad to see this topic. I have some performances that I have setup in my Kemper Stage that all I need to do to finish them is add solo boosts. This thread has already given me 4 things to try beyond what I had planned on doing. These ways look to be easier than what I was going to do with morphing so I will probably try all of these and see what works best for me. Keep the ideas coming!

• The Green Scream (TS808) is THE standard of mid boosting (actually bass & hi-end cutting) errr... booster.
    Often it's used with very little or no Drive, Tone dials in the mid-range area and Level determines how hard the following amp PROFILE is pushed.

old school.

• The Green Scream (TS808) is THE standard of mid boosting (actually bass & hi-end cutting) errr... booster.
    Often it's used with very little or no Drive, Tone dials in the mid-range area and Level determines how hard the following amp PROFILE is pushed.

old school.

Works *really* well.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche