How many expression pedals do you use ?

• this thread highlights exactly why I would never buy an all in one floor unit with expression pedal(s) built in. And, in my opinion Kemper made absolutely the right decision to not include pedals on the Stage. Pretty much all built in pedals are on the right side. However, some people like right, some like left, some like both, some don’t care.

• I'm thinking that most people have more sensitivity in the right foot.
    thinking about car driving from left to right
    clutch pedal - brake pedal - accelerator pedal

It does still depend I think.

I have mine the same as you - volume on left, Wah right and far right pitch ( which I don't use anymore). Volume on the left is fine for me as I don;t use it for morph and very rarely for backing off volume. I find it easier than trying to hit the tuner switch so I tend to use it as an on/off. If I used it more, I'd have it on the right as I'm right handed.

• Good thread.

I've got a stand alone volume and stand alone wah on the right.

Dunlop expression in the left.

Would normally be a subtle wah or pitch.

As its a wet weekend here in England I might do some tweaking later ?

I generally use the button for morphing rather than a pedal. I havent got much kemper time in for the last 6 months and I have spotting some interesting delays and reverb that are prob worth experimenting with pedal morph.

I've always felt that the kemper users and groups etc are 95% amp and cab orientated, which I guess should be expected.

But is always interesting to find great rigs which are based around effects.

Theres some really interesting stuff around

• I always wondered: What’s the advantage of using a pedal for morphing over just stepping on the button of the Kemper remote?

If you use the pedal, you can control the amount of Morphing in real time. For example: I use a Performance Slot for a song with Delay Mix and the number of repeats controlled by Morph. I tap tempo the delay time, and use morph to add some more delay and repeats for the solo than in the rhythm guitar part, and then Morph more for the last note of the solo to get a delay that is as almost as loud as the original note, with near infinite repeats.

• I always wondered: What’s the advantage of using a pedal for morphing over just stepping on the button of the Kemper remote?

Its purely that control.

Personally I don;t want or need that, I prefer a single change. For example I boost for riffs and I want that to happen instantly and and to a fixed value. That works best for me.

• While we are on this subject, what are the advantages of using a volume pedal vs manipulating the guitar's volume knob? I find I can do that "pick the note, then fade in with your pinky" technique with a little practice.

• I use 2 pedals , one for morphing leads, the other for wah/pitch.

Biggest thng for me compared to rig button morph is that you can rest your foot on the pedal and engage leads without having to look down where to push. The wah starts with bypass at stop so no need to push down hard for the button to get activated

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• While we are on this subject, what are the advantages of using a volume pedal vs manipulating the guitar's volume knob? I find I can do that "pick the note, then fade in with your pinky" technique with a little practice.

the volume pedal only controls the volume, the volume knob also controls the gain / distortion.

Be the force with you ;)

• Regarding volume pedals again, can anyone talk me through how you would use them? If you use them to adjust volume, isn't that what the person at the mixer will do? Wouldn't they just turn you down again if you suddenly go louder? Or is it for a lead tone that you define before the show?

One use I could imagine is when I use more gainy profiles and roll back the guitar volume knob to get a clean sound. It cleans up nicely but also loses volume, so I guess I could use a volume pedal to get the clean sound back to "unity volume" or whatever you wanna call it. However, I could also just morph the same profile into a second stage with more volume. Is that how you guys use it?

• basically, you use them to achieve whatever end result you are after. If you want to do the guitar volume effect without having to reach for the volume knob while playing then you could use the volume pedal set to input. If you want to use it for a solo boost you could use it with a limited range so that heel = rhythm and toe = solo. If you want to use it for violin swells you have the choice of in front of the amp where the volume will stay more consistent but the note will lose the attack OR you could put it after the Stack in which case the volume would swell in as well as the attack being softened.

Personally I don’t even use a volume pedal but I can understand many situations where someone might want to make use of it.

• I am finding that the Mission pedal, which you guys know resembles a wah pedal, does not seem to be optimal for volume- or at least I am not used to it yet. For keyboards I use a couple Yamaha FC-7, which had a wider "travel," as it were. I may start trying the Yamaha pedal for volume, and the Mission for wah/pitch/morph. Heck, I am still working my way into better understanding the Remote in general...

• I am finding that the Mission pedal, which you guys know resembles a wah pedal, does not seem to be optimal for volume- or at least I am not used to it yet. For keyboards I use a couple Yamaha FC-7, which had a wider "travel," as it were. I may start trying the Yamaha pedal for volume, and the Mission for wah/pitch/morph. Heck, I am still working my way into better understanding the Remote in general...

i feel exactly the same. It’s the perfect Wah controller for me but pretty much useless for anything else I want to do because of the short pedal travel.

The mission pedals are just so expensive as well.

I use a converted crybaby for wah and 2 Moog EP-3's for volume and pitch.... all sprayed Kemper green!

• i feel exactly the same. It’s the perfect Wah controller for me but pretty much useless for anything else I want to do because of the short pedal travel.

that is why I requested a feature for user based configuration of the progression / curve in the KPA. I found the preprogrammed behavior not that much useful. So maybe not the physical travel of the controller is the problem rather the range and progression the User can define (per Rig?).