Auto swell - can it be made to work with a gentle pick attack?

• I've been trying to use auto swell, and whether I place it either early in the signal chain or just before delay and reverb, i find that when i pick the string gently, it doesn't swell - I just get the picking attack that I'm trying to avoid! Auto swell works OK when I pick the string firmly, but this means that I lose the dynamic range that I would otherwise get. I have used auto swell with great success on the EHX POG2 and with almost as much success on the Strymon Mobius, but the Kemper version doesn't seem to be quite there.

• I seem to remember using a profile with auto swell that it worked better when "sliding" the pick from the string instead of doing a direct attack. I can't remember the settings off hand but will update if I find it again.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• have you tried the 'Pick' parameter in the AMPLIFIER module?

Yes, no luck! I have bought an EHX Attack Decay which is the best auto-swell pedal I have tried yet, and I'm using it in the effects loop of the Kemper Stage. It works beautifully both in mono and polyphonic mode. It's a pity, because it's the only outboard effect I reckon I'm going to need! It's a pity on two counts (1) it's extra gear to bring to the gig and extra set-up time connecting it to power, audio, etc (2) the Kemper has an effect that sounds like it ought to operate in a similar way but I have been unable to get to work satisfactorily so far.

• IME this might be depending on a weak input level, not strong enough to trigger the effect.
    Are you maybe using a SC guitar?
    You might want to try and maximise Clean Sens, to check whether this helps.
    Also, check whether there's any compressor engaged anywhere before the effect: a less pronounced attack might be tricking it.

HTH

Still chasing a worthy one :/