Missing something....

• I'm new here, and i'm rapidly getting lost with my new Kemper Stage.. (I LOVE IT though)...

I'm struggling to get good "lead" sounds out of it - think Phil Palmer when he was with Clapton / Dire Straits

EG:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I suspect i'm approaching my searching / editing all wrong

Any suggestions on a starting point gratefully received.

• The search for "that" sound is always a challenge.

90% of the sound comes from the fingers anyway...but that's not helpful.

The only thing I can suggest is to look at the type of amps used for that sound and narrow your search. The guitar/pickups will play a big factor in that long sustain - not a typical strat sound so are they active or stacked humbuckers? Sustain is the key here without too much gain..

• In general; use the Lead Booster but you don't have to necessarily crank the gain of the amp. You can also try using a Wah but leave it in one position for lead solos.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

Edited once, last by BayouTexan ().

• Use the Lead Booster but you don't have to necessarily crank the gain of the amp. You can also try using a Wah but leave it in one position for lead solos.

Keep in mind that the Lead Booster will sound like a dramatic change in tone when playing alone. In the context of a band mix, it helps the guitar 'poke out' and doesn't sound nearly as different as you think.

In reality, a LOT of iconic guitar sounds are somewhat.....awful, when isolated. Some Brian May stuff sounds horrid by itself. Then in the mix it's like "OH......I see..."

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

In reality, a LOT of iconic guitar sounds are somewhat.....awful, when isolated. Some Brian May stuff sounds horrid by itself. Then in the mix it's like "OH......I see..."

So true. I heard an iso track of Hendrix (I think it was Purple Haze track). It was totally awful. I actually thought is was someone else trying to sound like Hendrix. Since I started mixing, I come at this in an entirely new perspective. OP, can google some iso tracks and see what we mean.

• He may be playing a Clapton Strat in that video. I saw what looked like lace sensor pick ups on it, and he may very well be using the mid boost built into the guitar, too. Even when the mid boost is not turned on, the guitar has a hot output from the active preamp.I think using that kind of guitar, you would be able to get that kind of a sound with Kemper factory rigs, like black face or tweed fenders, Or medium gain Marshall’s. Be sure and turn up your volume loud enough to get that kind of sustain interaction with your speakers.

• He may be playing a Clapton Strat in that video.

I'd bet money on that. You know Clapton is.

With this recorded in '90 the Clapton model was only 2 years old, and Torino red was an option. If he's backing up Clapton with a red Strat loaded with Lace Sensors and a 6-screw bridge? That's a Clapton model. Period.

It was a long time ago....but I believe the Clapton model was the only Strat with a 6 screw bridge and Lace Sensors at the time. The 2 point trem was on the higher-end models. Lace Sensors only came on the upscale stuff as well.

Also - pay close attention to where the pickup selector is. The tone isn't the nasally sound associated with the 2 and 4 positions.....but he's clearly using the 2 position. Clapton *gasp* is using the middle pickup alone. Rather uncommon.....but dang that sounds good.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• A good monitor will get you feedback too. The kemper kabinet works extremely well for that. You can try a digitech freqout but I don't find it as easy and natural as real natural feedback is to control.

• Hehe a freqout is great, but not needed here. These sounds are really compressed though so use a healthy amount of gain.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• The Clapton Strat has a 25db preamp booster in the circuit and a mid boost tone control (to get humbucker sounds according to him) so in reality he could be driving the amp input very hard. As others have said, a Lead Boost might be a good start or even a Kemper Drive to cop some of the mid boost that is possible from that guitar.