Recording the kemper

• Hiya everybody. I’m at the stage now where Ive recorded a few songs using my kemper into Logic Pro x. Quick question, everything I’ve read says record dry. So I have, I’ve re amped git/stack to bypass the effects and I use EQ, reverb and delay in logic. Certain amps tho within the kemper I really like the modulation. Am I best trying to re create that sound within my daw (which I’m struggling with) or just record the amp with the effects. Just worried if I send it off to be mixed and they complain about the effects. Also recording dry makes nearly amp sound the same which surely defeats the object of a kemper.

how do you lot record?

Thanks

• Never record reverb, sometimes record the delay, sometimes record modulation.

If I record stack I record that mono, and then sometimes record either DI or master out as well (with reverb off).

Few things suck more than having recorded with the wrong reverb and trying to mix it.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• If it's only the reverb you don't want you have to turn it off and record master.

If I "need" reverb to perform well I add an EMT140 in the UAD console for monitoring.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• You don't have to record dry if you record your DI signal at the same time. That way you can reamp and add/delete any effects you want. This gives you the most options.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Stating the obvious......why record dry? Its because it gives you ultimate flexibility at mixing stage. Same goes with any effects such as reverb.

depends on the "level" of recording. If its just for demos then re-amping might be overkill but for the best results re-amping lets you sort post recording.

• Just worried if I send it off to be mixed and they complain about the effects.

If it's your music and sounds the way you want who cares what they say? :P I usually don't fuss with reamping, I get a sound I like and commit it to the mix. Most of the best music ever recorded was done that way. That being said, effects are nice to be able to tweek later as mixes can swallow things up especially reverb and delays I would prefer to add during mixing.

When I'm not recording anything I'm planning to sell, I record with full effects because I want to practice getting the KPA to sound good on it's own and helps me be able to see the whole picture to set it for live use. It's easy to turn something off but learning how to get effects right so they work in a track/band to me is good exercise.

• Another question, I’m double tracking 2 rhythm guitar part (struggling incredibly to get them both in time by the way) and having the re amp set up. So I’ve got DI track WET track REAMP track. If I’m going to reamp but I need to nudge the audio over on one (don’t laugh) should I nudge it on the DI or the WET? I want it to effect the re amp obviously

• Use the multitrack method as described on the Output Settings video. You can output the effects you want, but still have the dry track, and even the DI track.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I usually don't fuss with reamping, I get a sound I like and commit it to the mix.

I use a bit of a hybrid version of this. I find that my workflow is to start with a sound that I like, but I track DI as well. As the song and mix progresses, I might mute the sound I tracked and experiment with reamping other profiles to see if there's something that works better.

However, if I do find something that I prefer, I'll then retrack the guitar with that profile. I know I could just reamp with the new profile from the DI I already have, but the feel of the guitar amp often affects how I play. So, if I'm replacing profile A with profile B, I want to play it like profile B wants to be played. You know, so I don't hurt its feelings. :)

And man, is it great having all these options.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Another question, I’m double tracking 2 rhythm guitar part (struggling incredibly to get them both in time by the way) and having the re amp set up. So I’ve got DI track WET track REAMP track. If I’m going to reamp but I need to nudge the audio over on one (don’t laugh) should I nudge it on the DI or the WET? I want it to effect the re amp obviously

nudge it on the WET track that way you can be absolutely sure it is right and wont be affected by any latency issues during the reamping process.

• Hey, I’m thinking about the same type of workflow at the moment. If it’s generally not advisable to record reverb, what reverb plugin do you guys recommend? I’m looking mainly for a good spring and plate. Using Logic, too.

Thanks!

Edit on both by grouping them together. I always use the DI track as an editing reference because there you can easily see the attacks and where the note starts. If there's more gain it's much more difficult to find the editing spot on the amped track.

nudge it on the WET track that way you can be absolutely sure it is right and wont be affected by any latency issues during the reamping process.

You can easily get away with latency issues during reamping. Most DAWs offer a kind of outboard gear insert which you can use for reamping too which measures and compensates the latency. Or you can just put a sample spike in front and do it manually afterwards.

Hey, I’m thinking about the same type of workflow at the moment. If it’s generally not advisable to record reverb, what reverb plugin do you guys recommend? I’m looking mainly for a good spring and plate. Using Logic, too.

Thanks!

As spring reverb is by far my least favorite reverb ever I can only recommend plates. There I use the Relab Lexicon 480, the Valhalla Plates and the Liquidsonics Lustrous Plates.