SUPER bright tone that I just can’t seem to tame

• When I hook up my Stage to a real cab the tone I’m getting is almost painfully bright. I tried it through 2 different cabs (2x12 & 1x12) as well as my PA system.
    when I hook it up to my A/I and through my computer and into the studio monitors it sounds killer.
    The basic tone isn’t horrible, I just can’t warm it up.
    I’m sending the stage out to a Freyette LXII and then into the cab.
    I feel like the problem is not because the speaker or amp coloration or anything like that. I have the suspicion that I have some setting wrong.
    I can’t seem to get some pics I took to upload. It’s telling me the file is too big.
    If someone can tell me how to upload a pic, I’ll be happy to post them.

• First thoughts,

bring the presence eq down.

In the amp module adjust definition and clarity.

With the PA I assume cab is on? Cabinet module bring down the high shift.

Theres EQ and a high cut on the main output menu too that will cover all your rigs.

And of course your guitars tone pot ?

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• assuming all connections are correct I would start with the presence and depth controls on the Fryette. After that I would move to the Stage Monitor Out EQ.

If it sounds good through the PA wouldn’t touch the Amp Block or Cabinet block settings as these will also affect FOH and you A/I.

If it doesn’t sound good through the PA then I suspect that you are playing much louder than you do at home through your computer and you have tweaked your sounds for the lower volume levels which would typically sound much more scooped when you turn up to gig level.

Another thought would be to try raising the mids to give it body rather than trying to kill the highs.

Another thought would be to check how things really sound in your room where you are hooked up to you A/I. If the room/speaker placement/etc has some issues it could be causing you to tweak tones to compensate but these may not translate well to other locations without the same isuues.

• I have adjusted the eq settings. In some cases I have brought the treble all the way down to -5.0 (the max reduction) and it was still bright.
    when plugged into the PA, I used XLR out to the board, so can sims are automatically on by default…correct? And I have the high cut setting down to around -7000 +\-

I haven’t tried the definition/clarity control but it just seems odd that I would now need to go in and adjust this for every profile that I want to use…

• I am running out the right monitor send into the mono/bridged input of the freyette’s channel A. Maybe that has something to do with it? Channel B of the Freyette does not have the bridged option?

• thanks….I’ll look into these possibilities.
    Mira tough to describe, it I feel like what is going on is less of an eq issue and more of a signal chain issue. I wish I could be more descriptive…

• I just went and plugged into channel B of the Freyette and switched it over to Stereo. I might be onto something here. Seemed to sound better to me. Unfortunately I have to go to work now so I can’t really experiment until I get home tonight.

• On page 6 of the output section the “pure cabinet” box is ticked…should that be off?

Also the “internal” banner is lit. I have no idea what that is/does.

Pure cabinet should be turned off if you're running into a real cab, I think that means the box should not be checked.

• I am running out the right monitor send into the mono/bridged input of the freyette’s channel A. Maybe that has something to do with it? Channel B of the Freyette does not have the bridged option?

When bridged, any power amp will then be in mono and use only one input channel (typically A). There's usually a switch to activate the bridged mode. Channel B isn't used.