My First Mix Ever! Cruisin-Bruisin

• I left out the vocals because my voice is just not ready, and I would prefer to have a singer anyway. I am still proud of how it came out considering I did all the instruments and mixing by myself, and the first time I ever created a meaning solo with a theme. With less than 3 years learning guitar, I am pretty stoked about what more and more practice will bring.

I called this Metal-Dance music. :P

I appreciate all the help you guys have given me in my other post to get me started doing this now! So glad I did not wait until the end of the year to do this like I originally intended. Lot's of valuable lessons learned! I hope you continue with your critiques so I know how to move forward.

I know the start of the rhythm guitar needs to be tighter, and the solo with the wah needs to be cleaner. I'm thinking the drums need more punch and maybe more top end on the cymbals? Anything else? Let me know.

Thanks!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I think this sounds really promising. Do you have any bass on there? I find that bass really fills things out on my tracks. Did you program the drums yourself or use a Superior drummer drum loop?

Don't worry about tightening things up right away, just get yourself into the joy of recording your own tracks. This is a brilliant start.

• ...Do you have any bass on there?

LOL. I cut down the bottom end on the bass with EQ because it was booming way too much. I guess I need to do some un-cutting. I think the bass track is the hardest thing to fit in the mix, at least for me. I need to learn that happy balance with the kick, bass, and the low guitar strings.

...Did you program the drums yourself or use a Superior drummer drum loop?

I used an SD3 loop and recorded the cymbals with midi input on separate track. I wanted to add a drum fill (walk-down, walk-ups) inbetween the repeating solo parts at the end but I could not find the right one in SD (there are many to look thru). I need to map out my midi controller pads so I can have the upper toms and floor toms lined in a row so I can just finger through it (I actually use drum sticks on my midi pads).

I already started another mix with a new song and applying lessons learned from this one. I should be able to get progressively better each time. So, glad I started this now! I am having a lot of fun!

Thanks!

• Anything else?

One of the things I have to be really conscious of when using loops is to make sure the other instruments are locked into the loop's groove and/or edit the loop to fit the riffs that I want to use. Like you said, it is also important to use drum fills and make the virtual drummer play different parts in different sections of a song.

• LOL. I cut down the bottom end on the bass with EQ because it was booming way too much. I guess I need to do some un-cutting. I think the bass track is the hardest thing to fit in the mix, at least for me. I need to learn that happy balance with the kick, bass, and the low guitar strings.

Yeah, for me the bottom end has always been the most challenging aspect. I'm currently listening in the B room with smaller studio monitors and reasonable treatment, and the bass is almost nonexistent. If you did a lot of cutting because it was booming to much, that's useful info as it tells you that your mix environment is amplifying your bass.

In addition to reference tracks, which can still let you go astray if room acoustics are too problematic, I'd try to find as many different listening environments as possible to test your mix candidates on. On laptops, desktops, in different rooms, on your phone, in your car, in your living room, in your friends' living rooms, etc.

Ultimately what you're looking for is listening in enough environments until it sounds good in all of them, and then getting an instinctive feel in your mix environment so that you know how it should sound there (even if it doesn't sound great in the mix position) in order for the mix to be "portable."

I agree with everyone else that you're off to a great start! Like Joe said, it's all about just getting into the fun of doing it. It's a never ending process (and a never ending learning curve), so this is definitely one of those things where the joy is in the journey.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• I found that originally, (pre-EQ), the mix sounded way too boomy for the top end end, so I cut the bottom end. Maybe I should have went the other direction and just boosted the top end.

I'm going to re-EQ the mix to add more low end and repost the results. Then we can see if I am going in the right direction.

I should mention that the Kemper is the easiest part of this mixing stuff. :)

• What studio monitors are you using? Are they set-up as good as possible in the room? (For example regarding the stereo image it seems your monitors are standing too close together?) Basic room treatment?

Your mix indicates that you had a lot of work put in and also had some fun recording, but it also indicates strongly, that you are not able to hear everything correct?!

Edited once, last by Ibot39 ().

• What studio monitors are you using? Are they set-up as good as possible in the room? (For example regarding the stereo image it seems your monitors are standing too close together?) Basic room treatment?

Your mix indicates that you had a lot of work put in and also had some fun recording, but it also indicates strongly, that you are not able to hear everything correct?!

The room is 11x13. The JBL306's are far left and right corners facing my center sitting space. I have a sub connect but have the crossover at 80hz. Wood floors, sheetrock walls, 1 double french door, and mix desk with hutch and work desk are heavy wood. I have the JBL's sitting atop 2x8 loudspeakers in oak enclosures with an iso pad separating them. I don't think it's the room acoustics so much as I think it's me finding a reference point. I am hoping to make this mix my reference for future stuff.

My other choice for a reference is to drag a MP3, say a Nickelback song, into the DAW for a comparison but I thought I needed a raw mix to compare.

• I did 2 more versions. I included the master EQ for each version. Franjoe30 should be glad I put the bass back in. 8o

version 2: I completely removed the bass EQ on the bass track and left it flat, and I also removed some of the gobal bass cut, but this is where it sounds too muddy for me - on regular listening speakers.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Version 3: I added low and high shelf cuts and boosted the mid for the guitars. This one sounds better than all of them but I still want more bass and punch in the drums.

• Version 4.

I got the bass punching about as much as I think it should go. I increase the low end on the kick. I also increased the high cut on the guitar and the cymbals. I did a retake on the solo track to clean up my playing and I also removed the wah effect. I'm pretty much stuck here for today. As I adjust here-and-there, I'm not noticing a change --ear fatigue??