Probably daft question about Kones.

• Hi,

I have a Powerhead & a Laney 2 x12 cab with 2x Kones swapped in. I'm playing EMG loaded ESP guitars & using high gain profiles (eg Diezel VH4).

I just can't seem to get any profile to sound (to my ears) anything like the "bite-ness" of the real amps & I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. They usually sound distant or muffled or boomy. I have experimented with the Studio EQ with limited success.

I have been running a V30 imprint & rest just sound pretty shit.

I think this might be linked to my Output. What should I use? Master Mono/Stack etc? Monitor cab off etc?

What settings are best for this & what tricks on EQ could I use? I have read the manual but I'll be honest that it just gave me more questions.

Really getting quite frustrating ? thanks for any help guys...

• First, where are you at on volume when you tweak your profiles? You need to be at 85-90db - not at talking or bedroom volumes. You may just have to boost the amps Bass EQ to about 1.5 and the Treble to about 2.0 then set Presence to flavor.

Did you set your Global high and low cuts in the Output menu?

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Thanks for the reply!

I always tweak loud - so no issue there. Way above 'bedroom' - I live in a stone house which helps....

Re the EQ I have been setting (in the Studio EQ) the low level at 150 & then reducing low gain, which does reduce a lot of the 'blanket over cab' sound. But when I hear vids of the actual amp (for example a Mesa MK5) the profiles sound nowhere near it. In particular, an ESP with Het Set pickups (i.e a dream combo that were designed to pair) sound really poor.

No setting at all of global high & low cuts - what do you recommend?

Also what setting might you go with for the output - I'm talking stack/mod mono options?

Cheers again.

• Maybe this is obvious but since you didn't indicate what is your basic settings, here we go:

- your cabinet should be connected to MONITOR OUT

- output settings for monitor out is MASTER MONO

- KONE must be enabled in OUTPUT section

- and than it is up to you if you want to use Kone imprint mode (Monitor Cab Off enabled) or FRFR mode i.e. cabinet from the profile (Monitor Cab Off disabled)

- there are also other settings that can help - described in the Main Manual 8.5, chapter KEMPER Kone, starting from page 95.

I hope this helps.

Edited once, last by vjelen ().

• - your cabinet should be connected to MONITOR OUT -

-

You mean Speaker out, its a powered rack.

To me it is either:

An output setting

Profiles issue

I wouldn't try changing E.Q. significantly. The reason I say profile issue is because profiles all sound different through different monitoring solutions. Also the Kones for me are "brighter" rather than more "muffled" sound, even with bass boost so I suspect an output setting.

Are you saying the Kones sound more muffled than the original speakers in the Laney? I can tell you from experience, guitar cabs cover duff profiles. So I would also suggest trying a few other profiles to ensure you have tuned your profiles based upon the original laney..

• Yes sorry, I have Stage so I automaticaly wrote Monitor Out

• thanks for advice. I think I'm getting there. Loaded a few Mesa MK IIc profiles & used studio eq to narrow the sound & it is tight. I think I'd misunderstood the EQ & not harnessed the power of it.

Much much happier with it.

• thanks for advice. I think I'm getting there. Loaded a few Mesa MK IIc profiles & used studio eq to narrow the sound & it is tight. I think I'd misunderstood the EQ & not harnessed the power of it.

Much much happier with it.

if you want to get the Mesa Mark Series EQ effect then use the amp EQ set to Pre rather than Post. In this case it will adjust the frequencies being sent into the gain stages in the same as a real Mark Series amp does. You an use a GEQ in slot X too if you want the full experience.