PAS - Profile Acquisition Syndrome - a way to avoid the Rabbit Hole, and make music :)

• My method of avoiding PAS was to find a commercial profiler whose work perfectly matched my needs. Bought all his stuff and a choice selection from a couple of others, and I now have a fully loaded collection that covers my needs.

To supplement that, I created a folder / amp organization structure to make it easier for me to find the tone I want for a given song, which could have been a time suck of its own.

I think the key for me was the realization that what I have covers all my needs, so I don't feel compelled to keep looking for "the next cool profile." If I'm doing a song and what I need isn't in my collection I guess I could go on a tone hunt them, but honestly what I play isn't that complicated so it's a very unlikely scenario.

There have been times in my life when no matter what I had or how completely it fulfilled my needs, I always wanted more. At the risk of sounding philosophical (I am, after all, just a hippie from the 70s), I think part of avoiding PAS is simply allowing yourself to be happy with what you have.

Yes, I know. Blasphemy. :)

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• I bought a THR30iii to replace my THR10X & returned it a few days later. In my opinion, Yamaha went backwords with the tones. Was the amp bigger, louder & with more features? Yup! Did it sound any better than the Green Box of Doom? Not even close.

Frankly, the Kemper through in-ears or studio monitors wipes the floor with the Yamaha stuff...and that coming from a massive fan of those amps!

Have you updated the firmware, so it had "Open" speaker tuning?

• Have you updated the firmware, so it had "Open" speaker tuning?

Of course. I'm anal about updates & I go through every possible amp/cab/eq/setting possible.

Look, I'm a huge THR fan. I played my 10X each and every day for five years. Wonderful piece of gear! But the Kemper & the Yamaha are two totally different beasts. The THR is basically a wonderfully simple, transportable thing of beauty. But Yamaha overpriced it, and, imo, ruined the high gain amp models. I mean, c'mon - four of the tones are from the same amp, a supposed 5150iii. There's only so many tones in the thing, yet they put four of the same amp in there? That perplexes me.

*Edit* Look, if the new THR works for you, that is all that matters! Sound is subjective. I can tell you the Brown 2 is the best thing Yamaha Music has ever created. My god that amp model is truly incredible, but that took months to get right. The Kemper? Literally seconds after turning it on, my rock-filled brain went "Ummm. Yeah. Ok. Haha. The THR10X is going up on for sale. Like, now."

Five years with an amp & the K comes along and just TKO's the THR. *ding ding*

• How you compare Kemper vs THR? THR has its own spekaers, how do you amplify and monitor Kemper?

• LOL, why are you always after proof on every other thread? There is other gear than the Kemper, you know?

Cut the crap I'm not after proof on every other thread. If you have problem when I do, that's your problem not mine.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• How you compare Kemper vs THR? THR has its own spekaers, how do you amplify and monitor Kemper?

My Kemper is monitored through Presonus monitors, or custom-molded in-ears. I've never taken it out of the house as of yet. I'm not sure if I'll go with a guitar amp/cab or FRFR when I do. We shall see when the time comes.

The THR sounds much larger than it really should, but in the end, it's not really an "amp." It's really a hi-fidelity surround sound system.

• Give us proof and profile it. :S

I'm lazy :) I don't have any mic :) and even if I profiled it, I myself would listen the profile of THR30II, using Kemper on JBL 104BT 4" monitors and I believe it would not sound as good as on source. I'm not saying Kemper is bad. I just have the sound that I like and I like the convenience of THR.

• My Kemper is monitored through Presonus monitors, or custom-molded in-ears. I've never taken it out of the house as of yet. I'm not sure if I'll go with a guitar amp/cab or FRFR when I do. We shall see when the time comes.

The THR sounds much larger than it really should, but in the end, it's not really an "amp." It's really a hi-fidelity surround sound system.

Whatever THR is, I am happy with it. I was never blown away by Kemper's sound, whether on headphones, monitors (had many including 1000Euro Neumans) or Yamaha DXR10. Maybe my is faulty, or I have trash guitars. Now it doesn't matter.

• Whatever THR is, I am happy with it. I was never blown away by Kemper's sound, whether on headphones, monitors (had many including 1000Euro Neumans) or Yamaha DXR10. Maybe my is faulty, or I have trash guitars. Now it doesn't matter.

So, I guess the questions is: If you hate the Kemper so much, then why are you here, on this forum :?:

• So, I guess the questions is: If you hate the Kemper so much, then why are you here, on this forum :?:

Doesn't have to be either/or. He just must like it. Everyone has different tastes. I've had periods when I loved my amps more than my Kemper, and periods where I liked my Kemper more than my amps. Always something new to discover.

• Since I got my Kemper years ago I’ve probably only downloaded a small amount of profiles. First thing I did when I bought it was “clean out” what I didn’t use or didn’t care for.

Even as “amp like” as the Kemper is, I find my favorite tones for a particular setting may not be the “exact” one the artist used… it’s more about what sounds good to my ears.

I’ve tried to focus more on “my sound” as a guitarist more since I purchased it and for that, the Kemper delivers in spades.