FRFR active speakers for Kemper (for playing live)

• Make sure to have monitor out and main out set to the same output mode when you do compare.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I JUST HAD THE LOCAL REP LET ME TRY THE NEW MACKIE DLM 12 , AT HOME TODAY. I ONLY GOT TO TRY IT FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS , AND UNFORTUNATLY COUDN'T TRY IT AT WITH MY BAND, BUT I MUST SAY I WAS PRETTY IMPRESSED. I ONLY HAD MY CURRENT STAGE SETUP ( PV CLASSIC 50/50 TUBE POWERAMP AND A PV 2/12 CAB W/85W CELESTIONS) TO COMPARE IT TO, BUT IT SEEMED TO HOLD UP QUITE WELL AND VERY LOUD. IT'S A COAX 12/ 1000WD POWERED CAB THAT CAN BE TILTED BACK LIKE A MONITOR. I WAS ABLE TO RUN IT FLAT AND ONLY ROLLED BACK THE MONITOR OUT BASS A LITTLE BIT. IT DIDN'T HAVE ANY OF THE BEAMING OF A REG FRFR CAB AND THE CAB DIDN'T HAVE THAT HARD CLUNKY LOWEND I'VE EXPERIENCED WITH SOME PA CABS. :thumbup: I HOPE SOMEONE ELSE GETS A CHANCE TO TRY THEM AND CAN REPORT HOW THEY FEEEL ABOUT IT.
    I'M HOPIN TO GET THEM NEXT WEEKEND TO TRY WITH MY BAND AND WILL REPORT BACK. :D
    STILL WANT TO TRY THE ATOMIC CLR , BUT NO HOW I'LL FIND ONE.

• I have just taken delivery of a pair of RCF NX 12 SMA's and I have to say that they are remarkable really lets the kemper come to life,
    I have tried them as monitors and as a stand alone rig at small venues again they with the kemper hit all the right spots.
    Best investment I have made other than the kemper. Don't you just love it 8o

Steve
    Mainly my own built valve amps and Kemper

• Full range flat response
    They don't tend to colour the sound and they unlike a guitar speaker tend to be full range

Steve
    Mainly my own built valve amps and Kemper

• I have the Alto TSA112 and an EVSxa250. I had the Alto first and thought since a guitar cabinet is 12" I would go with that size. It does a good job especially for the price. I got a deal on the EV's and so I bought them. Based on the comparison I was able to do (I've used a Tech 21 poweramp, Crate powerblock with guitar cabinet, Alto, EV, QSC, Powerblock through FRFR stage monitor) I found the 15" gave me more range and better bottom end clarity. Really depending on what you are after and your cashflow it becomes personal preference. You might try the Alto 15" for comparison but I don't think you will go wrong with any of the choices.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• I have the Alto TSA112 and an EVSxa250. I had the Alto first and thought since a guitar cabinet is 12" I would go with that size. It does a good job especially for the price. I got a deal on the EV's and so I bought them. Based on the comparison I was able to do (I've used a Tech 21 poweramp, Crate powerblock with guitar cabinet, Alto, EV, QSC, Powerblock through FRFR stage monitor) I found the 15" gave me more range and better bottom end clarity. Really depending on what you are after and your cashflow it becomes personal preference. You might try the Alto 15" for comparison but I don't think you will go wrong with any of the choices.

I have an EVSxa250 also and have done side by side comparisons with a few other similar monitors including the QSC K12 and the EV is quite a bit better sounding. It is much more 'guitar cab' sounding than the QSC and Mackie. You can find them used for a decent price too.

• I like the EV stuff as well....but doesn't it have a 15" driver? Doesn't that make things a bit muddier, especially with the drop-tuned, heavier sounds? I've tried several, and that is what I have found. Again, though...everyone hears things differently.

Right at this point, I'm lucky enough to still be deciding before I drop my hard-earned $$$$ down...so I'm leaning heavily to the following (in no particular order):

1.) Mackie HD1221
    2.) Atomic CLRa
    3.) EV SX112P

tough decisions. I was going to get the Kemper Poweramp and run into a 2x12cab but to me, running it through a regular guitar cab almost defeats the purpose of having the emulations. I tried it through the return jack of a combo amp but I wasn't as happy with it.

Waiting for a few more reviews of the CLRa.

I like the EV stuff as well....but doesn't it have a 15" driver? Doesn't that make things a bit muddier, especially with the drop-tuned, heavier sounds? I've tried several, and that is what I have found. Again, though...everyone hears things differently.

It is a 15" but with the full range it really doesn't make it muddy. I would try a 15" side by side with a 12" for comparison. The benefit I find with the 15" is that you get the bottom end you would with a 12" cabinet but you also get the higher freq. with little to no compromising. With a 12" (which works fine as well) the bass is not as pronounced as the range the speaker puts out is higher. A 12" guitar cabinet does not have the higher freq. to blend with. After trying these options I can say that all work well and you just have to see what you like and what you want to spend. Just be louder than the drummer no matter what your choice is :D

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• I like the EV stuff as well....but doesn't it have a 15" driver? Doesn't that make things a bit muddier, especially with the drop-tuned, heavier sounds? I've tried several, and that is what I have found. Again, though...everyone hears things differently. ...

I thought it would be that way but I didn't hear any difference side by side with 12" drivers. I didn't try any drop tuning stuff, A440 all the way so I can't help there and I play classic rock and other non-brutalz type stuff so I may not be the right one to steer you on that either.

A guy at the ElevenRack forums got me into the EVSxA250, his name was Viasatchatrucci and he played a lot of heavy stuff as well as the lighter stuff so if you find yourself looking toward the EVSxA250 search him out...he did lots of demos and comparisons with his Mesa Recto, plugging into the power section of the amp etc. He would be a great resource for info on that side of things.

• A guy at the ElevenRack forums got me into the EVSxA250, his name was Viasatchatrucci and he played a lot of heavy stuff as well as the lighter stuff so if you find yourself looking toward the EVSxA250 search him out...he did lots of demos and comparisons with his Mesa Recto, plugging into the power section of the amp etc. He would be a great resource for info on that side of things.

Yup...I know him very well and have spoken to him quite alot. He seems to have disappeared off of the map. Super nice guy. This is where i got the idea as well to use the EV stuff for the Kemper. Seems like you have compared and found a great solution for yourself. Thx for sharing!

:)

• I understand that we are talking about hi end stuff and maybe those products are more biased towards guitar (even if FRFR, so there shouldn't be any difference with others FRFR).
    But with 890 euros i can get a RCF NX10 SMA, which can be used as FRFR monitor and as a PA cab and 400W powered, while i can pay 1170€ and get a NX12SMA which is 700w.

I know it's just not a power question, but i feel quite uncomfortable in paying 900€ to get a 260w powered cab (like Matrix).
    Hopefully the CLR will have a reasonable cost (even if i'm pretty sure we'll have the 1$=1€ equation).

• I'm on the waiting list for a CLR and you can pay in $. This is good for us because 999$ equals only 747€.
    The shipping to my country was 30€.
    That makes the price for the CLR 777€.

Not bad if you ask me.

• Strange, i asked Tom if there would be extra costs like tax, import, customs and he told me no.
    If its ships from Germany i assume that the price is with everything included.

I'l ask Tom again to be sure.