FRFR active speakers for Kemper (for playing live)

• Hello!
    I'm thinking about buying some FRFR active speakers for my Kemper.
    I'm considering about:

• Mackie HD1221
    • Alto TS112A
    • QSC K12

What should I get? I play metal.
    Thanks for the advice!

Gear: Ibanez RGD2127Z, Kemper, Matrix GT1000FX, Matrix FR212

• If is not over your budget, I would strongly advise to try an RCF NX 12sma. Had the QSC K10 before it, and the difference is BIG.....

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• If is not over your budget, I would strongly advise to try an RCF NX 12sma. Had the QSC K10 before it, and the difference is BIG.....

Yes, I agree. The mentioned RCF is not inexpensive, but it is low priced for an entry level, touring quality monitor. It's small, light, loud, and very HONEST reproduction of what you feed it guitarwise.. I don't own one, but I am very familiar of what they sound like. The DSP processor in the upper levels of RCF stuff is quite good.

If you buy something more modestly priced? Make certain it has a return policy in the event it doesn't really do it for you. ;)

• Unfortunately RCF NX 12sma exceeds my budget. What do you think about Mackie HD1221 (for 690 euro)? I want to spend max. 850 euro.

• I also, would like an opinion on the mackie HD stuff, looking at the hd1221 and 1531 as well. However, for what it is worth ( and it probably isn't much :D) I just played my KPA through a QSC k12, and 15 the other day at guitar center. This was also my first time trying FRFR ever actually. I was VERY impressed. They sounded phenominal in my opinion, and would not miss my 4x12s pumping behind me with these things up front. I am definitely going FRFR after that experience. The K12s have deep switches, and voice switches on the back that bump the highs/high mids a bit, and it sounded PHENOMINAL. It really brought the KPA alive with these switches. While they might not be a "flat" response at that point, for playing a band practice or something with them, it would be fantastic. And then to adjust your tones for what the FOH is hearing, you would just simply turn them off and EQ your tones then for live use.

I am also looking at the mackie HD's, however I have heard about serious relability issues with them, you should do alittle research before taking the plunge on them, I'm glad I did. While I believe they will probably sound phenominal, those issues I have been hearing about scare me to the point that it would be hard for me to drop the cash on them. Just My opinion. Alot of people use the QSC stuff, and I doubt you could go wrong honestly. I have not tried the RCF NX12SMA that everyone is raving about (in fact I just made a post about it ) but it would be hard for me to drop that kind of cash on it, after hearing what the k12s are possible of, and the fact that I would probably never be able to play one.

• They have a distributor in USA, Scott at TGP have talked often about him, try to make a search over there

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I also, would like an opinion on the mackie HD stuff, looking at the hd1221 and 1531 as well. However, for what it is worth ( and it probably isn't much :D) I just played my KPA through a QSC k12, and 15 the other day at guitar center. This was also my first time trying FRFR ever actually. I was VERY impressed. They sounded phenominal in my opinion, and would not miss my 4x12s pumping behind me with these things up front. I am definitely going FRFR after that experience. The K12s have deep switches, and voice switches on the back that bump the highs/high mids a bit, and it sounded PHENOMINAL. It really brought the KPA alive with these switches. While they might not be a "flat" response at that point, for playing a band practice or something with them, it would be fantastic. And then to adjust your tones for what the FOH is hearing, you would just simply turn them off and EQ your tones then for live use.

I am also looking at the mackie HD's, however I have heard about serious relability issues with them, you should do alittle research before taking the plunge on them, I'm glad I did. While I believe they will probably sound phenominal, those issues I have been hearing about scare me to the point that it would be hard for me to drop the cash on them. Just My opinion. Alot of people use the QSC stuff, and I doubt you could go wrong honestly. I have not tried the RCF NX12SMA that everyone is raving about (in fact I just made a post about it ) but it would be hard for me to drop that kind of cash on it, after hearing what the k12s are possible of, and the fact that I would probably never be able to play one.

For live I use 2 x QSC K12 and that's a lot of power and IMO very good sound! I don't miss my 4x12......

Pictures and my review of KPA and 2 x QSC K12: KPA and 2 X QSC K12 review :)

Edited 2 times, last by rolandvdh ().

• Hi there, I was thinking about all those FRFR speaker models, then I bought the RCF Art412a with the intention of selling it if it was crappy. Acually i have to admit that it works very well with the KPA. It's not a coaxial built speaker so the sound is more dependant on were you stand but it is in fact very good.

• What do you think about 3-way speakers? Are they better then 2-way solutions? Now I.m thinking about 2-way Mackie HD1221 or 3-way HD1531.

• What do you think about Line6 StageSource L3t? I'd probably get Rcf NX M12-A, but I'm curious about this L3t (or L3m)
    Is it a good step to buy Rcf NX as backline (to replace my 2x12 guitar cab)? I wonder if it has enough power (750Watt RMS) to play in small clubs.

• Just a personal opinion here nothing more. If I were you Id save up a little more to get the RCF. You have a very high quality Kemper but its only as good as what you play it through. I have the RCF NX 10. I had a QSC K 10. RCF is way better IMO. I only paid 100 bucks more for the RCF. But whatever you get I hope it works out for you and please post your results! Good luck.

• Thanks for advice! One more question about Rcf. Is it a big difference between Rcf NX M12-A MK II (non coaxial) and NX 12-SMA? I could take Rcf NX M12-A MK II at good price.