Please Help: A bit unclear on using Kemper Stage settings for cabinet/power amp setup?

• Hi guys, I am starting to feel overwhelmed with all the settings and principles that go along with using a power amp & cabinet with the Stage (using a regular amp is just so much easier for me but I am trying so hard to get the Kemper Stage all setup for playing live and its tormenting me with all these tweaks and settings). Hopefully I can verbalize this correctly especially since I a not sure what the heck I'm doing.. lol

OK here goes, I've read the manual, watched a few videos and finally got around to hooking up my stage to a 100w power amp and a Marshall 2x12 cab with 35w Celestions.

1. I connect Stage Monitor Out to the the power amp input

2. I hit the OUTPUT Section button and then turn off Monitor Cab Off switch

3. Set the Monitor Output to Master Mono (although for some reason the chorus and flange sound better on Master STEREO??)

* But here is the part that is confusing me, yes I have turned the "Monitor Cab Off" but I still have the cabinet module section "ON" and I can spin the knob and swap out a variety of different speaker models but I thought the point of all this was to have a pure signal coming to my speaker cabinet without another Celestion creamback or greenback etc... coloring the tone since I am not using a Kemper Kone speaker...

4. So with that in mind I turned off the Cab Module but I'm not sure what I'm hearing anymore?

5. All I have is a headache lol am I supposed to have the Cab Module "OFF" to get a unaffected signal by another speaker profile?

I hope this question of mine is clear to understand and solve.
    Thank you

• Hi, Halipino.

I hope this helps.

Steps 1, 2, 3 - Perfect.

Now to your question.

"* But here is the part that is confusing me, yes I have turned the "Monitor Cab Off" but I still have the cabinet module section "ON" and I can spin the knob and swap out a variety of different speaker models but I thought the point of all this was to have a pure signal coming to my speaker cabinet without another Celestion creamback or greenback etc... coloring the tone since I am not using a Kemper Kone speaker..."

Answer: "Monitor Cab Off" only affects the Monitor Outputs. It has no effect on the Main Outputs (that you would normally send to the Front of House System or a Full Range Flat Response system, and likely to headphones and recording).

Don't turn off the Cab Module - certainly don't save your rigs with the Cab Module off. You'll have to remember to turn it on again if you connect to a FOH, headphones, or record.

• The Monitor Cab Off is normally for the monitor output when you're using your own real cabinet. The Kemper Cab module would still be going to the Main Outs, so you could send a sound with a cabinet to a FOH mix via the Main outs. You probably just aren't using Main outs at this point so the cabinet loaded wouldn't matter.

The Chorus and Flange probably sound better in stereo since they are stereo effects, at least if you load them into X or MOD slots. But if you're only monitoring in mono, then again it wouldn't make much difference. Maybe a little in how the Kemper merges to mono for the Monitor output.

• Hi ST, thank you for quick response, only problem is there is a noticeable difference in sound if I shut off the CAB Module, definitely more grainy and fizzy with it off using a high gain amp profile. just tested it and with cab module off it has the the same sound as turning off the "Monitor Cab Off"... hmmm

• Hi ST, thank you for quick response, only problem is there is a noticeable difference in sound if I shut off the CAB Module, definitely more grainy and fizzy with it off using a high gain amp profile. just tested it and with cab module off it has the the same sound as turning off the "Monitor Cab Off"... hmmm

What speaker are you using when you choose Monitor Cab Off?

***EDIT*** Doh! I see your using a standard cab.

• What speaker are you using when you choose Monitor Cab Off?

***EDIT*** Doh! I see your using a standard cab.

Well here is the thing I don't get, I'm testing out one of the free rigs from sinmix's website and his amp comes with what it looks like a MB 2x12 rectifier HO or something (?) which must be embedded in his profile because it does not appear in the choices I have when I go into the browse mode.

• Well here is the thing I don't get, I'm testing out one of the free rigs from sinmix's website and his amp comes with what it looks like a MB 2x12 rectifier HO or something (?) which must be embedded in his profile because it does not appear in the choices I have when I go into the browse mode.

That would have been the cab he used to profile the rig I suppose.

When you are using Monitor cab off, that means you're using a real outboard guitar cab.

Monitor cab on is for a PA, FRFR type speaker, which uses the cab that was profiled.

You don't happen to have Kemper Kone on do you? You wouldn't want that on with a real guitar cab either.

If you look at the Cab settings what are the values for the

High Shift

Low Shift

Character

Pure Cabinet

• If you look at the Cab settings what are the values for the

High Shift

Low Shift

Character

Pure Cabinet

If you look at the Cab settings what are the values for the

High Shift = 0.0

Low Shift = 0.0

Character = 0.0

Pure Cabinet = 0.0

everything is = 0.0 (zeroed out)

• I wonder if you are using a Studio Profile or a Merged Profile - and if the section I have highlighted in orange explains the difference you hear.

I no longer have a power amp and cabs set up or I would try to replicate what you're hearing.

When I did have that setup - I always left the CAB (CAB button) on, because I wanted the CAB PROFILE on in the Main Outputs.

• How do you tell the difference between a studio or merged profile?

I found this thread and scrolled though it Differences between studio and merged profiles

• You can't unless the author of the Profile made a note of it. Some do it by adding a code in the name of the Profile - but there's no standard for doing that.

That muddy's the waters a bit. I'm not much for technical stuff, the simpler the better for me. lol I think it's super cool that there are some serious engineer/scientist types on this forum to help us ordinary humanoids.

• as vjelen said, the root of your problem is that you UNTICKED Monitor Cab Off. You need this ticked when using a regular guitar speaker.

I find there are several things in the manual and on the device itself that don’t necessarily translate well from German to English because of the different syntax of each language. german is very literal and often uses double negatives in a way that seems odd to native English Speakers. However, if you follow the logic carefully it does make sense.

Monitor - the monitor output

Cab - the cabinet section of the Stack in a rig

Off - turn off the Cabinet portion of the rig when sending to the Monitor Output.

Therefore, ticking this allows the full rig INCLUDING cabinet to be sent to all outputs (main outs etc) EXCEPT the Monitor Output which instead receives the Rig minus the cabinet section as this will be replaced by your regular guitar speaker.

* But here is the part that is confusing me, yes I have turned the "Monitor Cab Off" but I still have the cabinet module section "ON" and I can spin the knob and swap out a variety of different speaker models but I thought the point of all this was to have a pure signal coming to my speaker cabinet without another Celestion creamback or greenback etc... coloring the tone since I am not using a Kemper Kone speaker...

this is the intended behaviour. Because you have UNTICKED Monitor Cab Off in error you are still getting the Cabinet from the Rig.

• Because you have UNTICKED Monitor Cab Off in error you are still getting the Cabinet from the Rig.

i see know as far as conversation where you guys are saying that about "being unticked"... The picture I uploaded does in fact not have it ticked. My apologies, sent the wrong photo. My bad!!!

Yes it is "ticked" and monitor can is and has been off from the start...

Sorry about the confusion on that part of the equation. ?