Attack of the compressors.

• This effect has been in the KPA since day one and i've used it endlessly.

Having a play today i notice that the "attack" parameter also doubles as the "release" time as well.

Can anyone give a full explanation as to what each of the parameters in the compressor. Could be useful knowledge for newbies as well as a recap for the existing players.

"squash" goes by another name on most compressors (ratio?) though i figure it does more than adjust the ration. Likewise, "intensity" is more than the threshold.

Following this naming-convention, "attack" is therefore not the correct terminology, unless my ears deceive me, it should be better named to something that describes attack+release.

Im sure someone out there has a compreshensive understanding of the under-the-hood workings of this FX

• From a cursory read of the manual, it sounds to me like Intensity = Threshold, meaning at what incoming level the compressor is activated.

Squash is oddly described, I can't quite figure if it's essentially the Release control, but maybe there's more going on there. The last line about vintage stomps' ratio always being infinite seems to imply that the ratio is fixed.

• Let me just chime in and also state that I would very much like a compressor update.

Having like 10 compressor types modelled after studio classics would be the dream come true. JFET, tube, optical, LA-2A, whatever.

A couple of types, like a "multiband compressor" & "studio compressor" (clean sounding, "transparent", stereo, for post-stack usage), "pedal compressor" (mono, maybe slightly simplified controls, for pre-stack usage) and "easy compressor" (current one or something akin to it - for the guitarist who doesn't want to tweak knobs, or whatever) would still be in dream come true territory.

Just including a copy of the current compressor but changing the parameters to correspond with the "industry standard" and also letting us manually set the parameters that are now baked into one another, would also be a substantial upgrade, and good enough to not hear me bring it up ever again.

A Kemper Compressor, like the Kemper Drive, that does all the above, or none of it. Dare I dream?

For now I don't use a compressor, considering getting an external one.

• Count me as someone that has been mystified by the Kemper compressor. I've got a couple saved that sound about right to me, but I always just make them worse if I try to tweak them.

This and the Neve transformer are the reason I use a Bogner Lyndhurst in front of the Kemper.

• Having like 10 compressor types modelled after studio classics would be the dream come true. JFET, tube, optical, LA-2A, whatever.

A couple of types, like a "multiband compressor" & "studio compressor" (clean sounding, "transparent", stereo, for post-stack usage), "pedal compressor" (mono, maybe slightly simplified controls, for pre-stack usage) and "easy compressor" (current one or something akin to it - for the guitarist who doesn't want to tweak knobs, or whatever) would still be in dream come true territory.

This.

I've said it before, but a glaring omission for me is an LA-2A for bass levelling post-Cabinet. Something like this brings the enjoyment of playing either solo or in a band setting to a new level.

• So which of the current Kemper names is Threshold, which is Ratio, attack release?

I don't think it's that simple. The currently available controls are likely to control a combination of the regular controls.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I don't think it's that simple. The currently available controls are likely to control a combination of the regular controls.

I know. That was my point. The OP asked what the current controls actually do. A later post asked

let me put it another way- If you had to rename the compressors parameters with more meaningful names what would they be?

someone answered with Attack, Threshold, Ratio and Release. I was just trying to point out that it isn’t that simple as they don’t map directly to the current Kemper controls.

• Referring again to the line about vintage stomps in the manual, I don't think they designed this as a rack gear emulation, and most (if not all) vintage compressor pedals were not set up with the same controls as a rack unit. The MXR Dyna-Comp, for example, only had two knobs: Output and Sensitivity.

My current HW comp is the Orange Kongpressor (which I really like btw). It's an optical design, and it also has attack, release, and squash controls (as well as volume and chime). If this is what Kemper was emulating (optical pedals in general, not necessarily the Kongpressor), then perhaps they'll consider adding another compressor emulation emulating VCA compression with the standard controls.