How to Reamp Kemper with Reaper (non-SPDIF Method) Tutorial..

• Reamp Kemper with Reaper (non-SPDIF Method) in Stereo. (Mono optional).

This tutorial will assume you have at least a 4 in / 4 out interface (4i4) or similar. I am using a Motu M4. It also assumes you want to record a stereo signal. For a mono signal you would just remove the Right tracks in DAW.

*Note: I will edit this tutorial if required to cover more options or to clarify if needed.

Step 1. Make your connections.

Use TS connections and route to interface as shown. (This is for a stereo output. Use just one cable from output for mono).

Step 2. Create Tracks in Reaper as shown.
    You will need 6 tracks.

Guitar Left from Kemper Main Out Left.

Guitar Right from Kemper Main Out Right.

Guitar DI (Git Analog) from Kemper Direct Out.

ReaInsert an included VST plugin from Reaper (Cockos).

Reamp Left.

Reamp Right.

This assumes you have already correctly mapped your inputs and outputs in Reaper under Options>Preferences as shown. (Your interface inputs and outputs may be named differently).

Check track inputs:

Guitar Left from Kemper Main Out Left. Input from Input Line 1.

Guitar Right from Kemper Main Out Right. Input from Input Line 2.

Guitar DI (Git Analog) from Kemper Direct Out. Input from Line 3. Update: See Page 123 of Kemper Manual for new Output Settings.

ReaInsert an included VST plugin from Reaper (Cockos). Input from Line 3.

Reamp Left. Input from Input Line 1.

Reamp Right. Input from Input Line 2.

Step 3. Setup Sends and Receives for Reamping.

The Guitar DI mono signal (Track #3) will "send" to the Reamp Insert (Track #4). You can do this easily by holding mouse left click down on the ROUTE icon on Track 3 while dragging the plug icon into the ROUTE icon of Track 4. So Track 4 will "receive" from Track 3. Mouse over the ROUTEs to see if the hint box looks like as shown.

The Reamp Insert (Track #4) will "send" to Reamped Guitar Left and another to Reamped Guitar Right. Hold mouse left click down on the ROUTE icon on Track 4 while dragging the plug icon into the ROUTE icon of Track 5. So Track 5 (Left) will "receive" from Track 4. Repeat this again for Track 6 (Right).

Click on the ROUTE icon on Track 3 and set to Pre-Fader (Post-FX) as shown. This will allow you to set volume slider of the DI signal to Zero so you don't hear it when reamping.

Step 4. Add the ReaInsert (Cockos) VST plugin to Reamp Insert Track #4. (Extremely Important!).

Click on the FX icon of Track 4. Add the VST plugin. Your Hardware Sends and Returns should be labeled similarly. It is very important you assign the correct Line Ins and Line Outs as shown.

You should now be ready to Record and Reamp. Important! Save your project and also as a Template so you can quickly load for new projects and not have to repeat these steps again.

Recording and Reamping Steps.

Step 1. Record.

Set Kemper Inputs and Outputs as shown.

"Arm" Tracks 1 thru 3 as shown and press the large red record button to record your tracks.

Your tracks should look similar as shown when done.

Step 2. Reamp

"Unarm" Tracks 1 thru 3 and "mute" those tracks.

Then "Arm" Tracks 5 and 6.

Set Kemper Input Source to Return Input Reamp. (See pic in next comment below).

Select any profile you want from your Profiler or in Rig Manager.

Click the large red Record Button in Reaper, or Click the Play Arrow to listen to the reamping without recording.

(You are free to select different profiles while recording or while playing via the Play Arrow).

Closing Comments.

I've attach the last two photos I have for this tutorial below in another comment since I've reached the maximum photos allowed in one post.

I hope this tutorial helps someone!

Cheers and Happy Reamping!

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

Edited 5 times, last by BayouTexan ().

• Step 2. Reamp (continued).

Set Kemper Input Source to Return Input Reamp as shown.

Reamping in Reaper as shown. Note that you "mute" Tracks 1 and 2, and pull volume down on the DI track to Zero when reamping.

Quick Tip: Create a loop for playback by holding down the left mouse click and dragging across the amount of track time you want. Then click the light blue Toggle Repeat button, and click the Play Arrow. (As shown). This will allow you to select thru your entire list of Profiles without interruption to find the tone you want for a particular song. This really shows the power of Kemper and Reamping!

Have fun!

Edited 5 times, last by BayouTexan ().

• One question on your setup:

In the Reainsert pic, it's set for 0 samples delay compensation.

Do you have the manual offset adjusted instead then under recording settings?

• One question on your setup:

In the Reainsert pic, it's set for 0 samples delay compensation.

Do you have the manual offset adjusted instead then under recording settings?

Good question. I had done a loopback test on my interface and I was only at a 0.5 (half) sample off. Your setup may have to be compensated.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• is there a thread to reamp with Reaper but WITH SPDIF?

Not one like mine. Whenever I upgrade to a SPDIF interface, I'll be sure to make one. However, it should be relatively the same. I assume you would do this instead: (Note the strike-out lines and the change in green).

Check track inputs:

Guitar Left from Kemper Main Out Left. Input from Input Line 1.  Guitar Left and Right from Kemper SPDIF Out to Interface SPDIF In.

Guitar Right from Kemper Main Out Right. Input from Input Line 2.

Guitar DI (Git Analog) from Kemper Direct Out. Input from Line 3. Guitar DI (Git Analog) from Kemper SPDIF Out. Input from SPDIF Input.

ReaInsert an included VST plugin from Reaper (Cockos). Input from Line 3. Input from SPDIF Input.

Reamp Right. Input from Input Line 2.

Step 2. Reamp

"Unarm" Tracks 1 thru 3 and "mute" those tracks.  "Unarm" SPDIF" tracks.

Then "Arm" Tracks 5 and 6. (This might be Tracks 4 and 5 since you are using one track above for SPDIF Left and Right).

Set Kemper Input Source to Return Input Reamp. (See pic in next comment below). Set Kemper Input Source to SPDIF Input Reamp

Select any profile you want from your Profiler or in Rig Manager.

Click the large red Record Button in Reaper, or Click the Play Arrow to listen to the reamping without recording.

(You are free to select different profiles while recording or while playing via the Play Arrow).

Let me know if that works.

• I am currently reamping in Logic with a Motu M4 and I am not greatly satisfied.

In my case, it so happens that the reamped tone lacks grit compared to the tone when I record straight in (no reamp). I think it should be the same, as both when reamping or recording straight in the profile is set up the same and the sound is coming from the main output of the KPA. But it's not, and that sucks a lot. I may have to fiddle with the settings (perhaps some Reamp Sens here, some more gain there...).

I already returned the Audient and the SSL 2 because they did not cut it for reamping purposes.

• I am currently reamping in Logic with a Motu M4 and I am not greatly satisfied.

In my case, it so happens that the reamped tone lacks grit compared to the tone when I record straight in (no reamp). I think it should be the same, as both when reamping or recording straight in the profile is set up the same and the sound is coming from the main output of the KPA. But it's not, and that sucks a lot. I may have to fiddle with the settings (perhaps some Reamp Sens here, some more gain there...).

I already returned the Audient and the SSL 2 because they did not cut it for reamping purposes.

Reamp the same profile and do a comparison. It should sound exactly the same as the original track. Then you can see if something needs an adjustment. Also do a quick monitor of the DI track and see if it's recording a clean raw signal.

• Excellent answered not only questions I hate to bother people with but also responded to things about reaper I feel dumb asking. Now here's one question could you upload a template for reaper for the uber lazy that not only get dragged to the finish but also rolled across the finish line? Just wondering because it seems like a thing that would be attached. Thanks so much for this clear explanation, but I'm sure someone will find a way to mess this up

• Excellent answered not only questions I hate to bother people with but also responded to things about reaper I feel dumb asking. Now here's one question could you upload a template for reaper for the uber lazy that not only get dragged to the finish but also rolled across the finish line? Just wondering because it seems like a thing that would be attached. Thanks so much for this clear explanation, but I'm sure someone will find a way to mess this up

There's nothing to mess up if you create each track one at a time and step by step. The Options>Preferences picture in Step 2 will be different depending on what your particular interface has named the inputs and outputs. Other than that, everything should be exactly as shown.

If you get to a point where you have trouble you are welcomed to message me.

• How about with Ableton? For the life of me I can't figure it out. As soon as my 1/4" jack from the reamp input of the kemper touches the output from my Audiobox96, it just squeals like crazy.

• How about with Ableton? For the life of me I can't figure it out. As soon as my 1/4" jack from the reamp input of the kemper touches the output from my Audiobox96, it just squeals like crazy.

Sounds like you are getting a feedback loop. Check your volume levels, ins, and outs again. Notice that my DI Track volume slider is at muted position.

Quoted from above:

Click on the ROUTE icon on Track 3 and set to Pre-Fader (Post-FX) as shown. This will allow you to set volume slider of the DI signal to Zero so you don't hear it when reamping.

I don't use Ableton but your settings should be very similar.

• I put an Update note in the original post to see Page 123 of Kemper Manual for new Output Settings. It appears Git Analog has been renamed to DI Analog in Kemper.