Clipping / Drop Outs ..?

• Hey all ,

So completed my first 2 gigs since purchasing the kemper in lockdown earlier in the year.

1st gig I had backline going to my 4x12 and then to FOH. We played for around 1.5 Hours.

About 40 Minutes into the gig I started experiencing clipping or drop outs very brief but noticable to

me , I am running into the Kemper with a Line 6 Relay G55.
    So I immediatley thought battery issue , so swaped them out between songs for new batteries but the

problem was still apparent :(

Any ideas ? The unit has been functioning fine in rehersals without issue and I use the wireless

in there also.

Master Volume is set to around -10db

Cheers

Steve

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

• Hi, Steve.

The Line 6 Relay G55 operates in the 2.4 GHz band. There's a lot of competition for bandwidth there (e.g., WiFi, Bluetooth). This might not be apparent until a venue fills up or there are other players with 2.4 GHz wireless units.

Try switching to a cable (instead of wireless) next time you notice the problem. This could help you determine if that's the heart of the problem.

• Thanks for the response guys, I will test this theory out but to be honest I dont think that is it. I have never had an issue with the Line6 unit

with my previous setup when playing live , but next gig we do ( this weekend ) I will use a lead and not the Line6 and see what happens.

Thanks again

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

• Hi, Steve.

The Line 6 Relay G55 operates in the 2.4 GHz band. There's a lot of competition for bandwidth there (e.g., WiFi, Bluetooth). This might not be apparent until a venue fills up or there are other players with 2.4 GHz wireless units.

Try switching to a cable (instead of wireless) next time you notice the problem. This could help you determine if that's the heart of the problem.

This is the first thing I would try. The fact that you mentioned drop outs would make me go immediately to a cable. I have rarely had issues with my wireless units but it happens. I remember playing at a venue where the guitar player on the other side of the stage from me was running the exact same wireless that I run and he was having issues and mine was fine. He tried other channels and still had issues. He had to go to using a cable for the night. I was 20 feet away from him and was running just fine. For a drop out, I always look at the wireless first.

Thanks for the response guys, I will test this theory out but to be honest I dont think that is it. I have never had an issue with the Line6 unit

with my previous setup when playing live , but next gig we do ( this weekend ) I will use a lead and not the Line6 and see what happens.

Thanks again

I also run sound for other bands occasionally and have seen plenty of others have issues with their wireless. They always say they have never had an issue before. It can happen and you may have played that exact place before without any issues. It is all about what is going on at that moment in the frequency range your wireless runs in.